They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Vimeo

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Re: Vimeo

Postby Jordanmphoto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:07 am

I've got tons of encoders, but somehow I don't believe more encoding options will help this situation. PE9 provided the H.264 codec that Vimeo wants. The techies on Vimeo's help forum keep telling me to change this and that setting in order to make them happy. The latest was to limit the video bitrate to 5000. Well the video was playable all right, but it looked like you were looking at the clips from underwater. Now why would anyone spend all this money on the best equipment, lenses, technique and software only to have it end up looking like it was taken with a point and shoot camera from 2002?

But thanks, Cheryl, because you have now confirmed what I suspected, which is that most people are unable to play HD on Vimeo, despite all the hype about their pro level quality. I once read that not all website servers have enough bandwidth to handle high speed connection or lots of users at one time. The big ones, like YouTube, have to constantly add capacity to keep up with it all. Maybe that's what we're seeing here: Big fish eats up little fish.

Unfortunately for Vimeo, much as I like their cool interface and some of the other perks, it all boils down to what I observe after saving endless versions with different settings and then comparing the playback results to YouTube. Until the day before yesterday, I actually did not know you could control the playback resolution on either player. I suppose they tell you someplace in the small print, but I think most people are like me and don't have the time to read a manual for every last thing they use on the web. I found the HD option in Vimeo by right clicking for settings and finding a menu item to turn off HD. After that, it didn't take me long to discover that you could simply click the HD symbol as a toggle. As for YouTube: I wondered if it did the same thing and that's when I discovered that that 360p or 480p number I see on the lower right side is also a toggle switch. However, with YouTube I could pick among 5 or 6 resolutions instead of 2. Since I can successfully play the YouTube file at 720p on all of my computers (some of which are on regular high speed connection with WiFi router) I can't help but rating YouTube as the best. I now envision including a small amount of education with my YouTube link emails and tell people to click that number for the best resolution that their system can play.

Vimeo Plus has a 30 day return policy if you buy the whole year subscription. Anyone who wants to test this should give it a whirl and see for themselves.
Desktop w/ Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20 ghz
8 GB RAM, 64 bit Win 7 OS, 1 TB hard drive
NVDIA graphics card GeForce GT 220
2 back drives 1TB each
Blue Ray Burner
Jordanmphoto

Postby momoffduty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Jordanmphoto wrote:But thanks, Cheryl, because you have now confirmed what I suspected, which is that most people are unable to play HD on Vimeo,

Just to clarify, HD videos stutter for me on Youtube, Facebook & there is also load time when watching AE tutorials on various websites. I have to let them load first. So in my case it is my internet connection and not necessarily the websites.

Jordan, if Youtube fits your needs then go with that site. :)

I have accounts at both Youtube & Vimeo and am very happy with Vimeo.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jordanmphoto » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:03 pm

momoffduty wrote:Just to clarify, HD videos stutter for me on Youtube, Facebook & there is also load time when watching AE tutorials on various websites. I have to let them load first. So in my case it is my internet connection and not necessarily the websites.

Jordan, if Youtube fits your needs then go with that site. :)

I have accounts at both Youtube & Vimeo and am very happy with Vimeo.

Actually it's not about me and whether I can play the videos on my system. I get no stuttering with YouTube in HD since the computer is fast and hardwired into the highest speed DSL connection available to me. The load bar takes 15-30s to load ahead of the time indicator, but then it seems to stay well ahead of the play on every computer I've tried it on (4 of them altogether). With Vimeo I'm sure I could wait around for the load or whatever it takes to play an HD video. However I am going to be sending these links to all kinds of people (who will supposedly pay me for services)and they will have all kinds of systems, so I have to put myself in their state of mind, knowing that many of them are not computer whizzes nor the most patient people in the world. While nothing is going to work for everybody, I am trying to develop techniques and strategies that have the best odds of working. I test these things out on my partner, who has a very low tolerance of things that waste his time. He had no problem playing the link I sent from YouTube, but I watched him play the Vimeo file and when it stopped dead he said "Are you kidding me? Nobody is going to sit through this." and then he promptly shut it down.

Interestingly, I have been talking to Vimeo on a forum (they have no phone numbers) and hoped they would say they are working on the problem, especially since I spent most of a day trying to get them a file they were satisfied with. Instead they essentially told me to request a refund and take a hike, LOL. Looks like they're not very interested in doing business!
Desktop w/ Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20 ghz
8 GB RAM, 64 bit Win 7 OS, 1 TB hard drive
NVDIA graphics card GeForce GT 220
2 back drives 1TB each
Blue Ray Burner
Jordanmphoto

Previous

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing