They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing enormous files.

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Editing enormous files.

Postby JimmyC » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:27 pm

I've got a Canon T2i and I'm thinking of getting a Black Magic Hyperdeck Shuttle with a 60GB SSD, to record uncompressed footage direct from the Canon's HDMI out.

I expect to use this setup only for recording short scenes that I will be adding chromakey and similar effects to, in After Effects. I hope to be able to then import that processed footage into Premiere or Final Cut Express and add it to the timeline of my movie.

My question is: will I need to instal a codec on my iMac to recognise the uncompressed footage from the SSD? And secondly, will such huge uncompressed files be virtually impossible to edit in a imac 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, with only 16GB RAM?

Thanks.
JimmyC
New User
New User

Re: Editing enormous files.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:24 am

You won't get uncompressed footage from this camera, Jimmy. It records to H.264 MOVs (H.264 being the codec the cam uses to compress the video when it saves it). Although I don't know the cam, so I'll take your work for it that you can use it as a video cam to record directly to a computer via HDMI. (So does this mean you're going to carry your iMac around with you every time you go on a video shoot?)

In any event, your Mac should have everything you need to work with this video. Especially if you've got After Effects installed (which adds the Adobe Media Encoder and its codecs to your machine).

We'd love to hear of the results when you do a test drive of this direct-to-computer video shoot! (I'm eager to hear if the video comes in truly uncompressed.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 am

Steve, that's a standalone recorder. You plug an SSD into it like a memory stick and record off the HDMI connection on the camera.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

That's similar to what we do at church for our live feed and internet broadcast. The Black Magic stuff is pretty awesome.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 am

Hey Chuck I could not help but notice the irony of using a black magic product to capture heavenly services. :)

But as the story goes Good always wins.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm not crazy about the name but you're right about the irony :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:24 pm

My question is: will I need to instal a codec on my iMac to recognise the uncompressed footage from the SSD? And secondly, will such huge uncompressed files be virtually impossible to edit in a imac 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, with only 16GB RAM?

You won't need to install any codecs. I looked at the specs and it records on the SSD as uncompressed Quicktime files. As long as you have Quicktime installed, you'll have the necessary codecs.

Uncompressed video is tough on most systems due to the large data bandwidth and processing requirements. SSD will definitely help. You will need an SSD dock to directly access the drive. USB will not be fast enough. With a windows PC, eSata SSD docks are available. I'm not a Mac user, so I don't follow what's available for the iMac. I understand the newer iMacs use Thunderbolt. I haven't heard that Thunderbolt SSD docks are available yet.
Bob

Postby JimmyC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Bob wrote:You won't need to install any codecs.
Uncompressed video is tough on most systems due to the large data bandwidth and processing requirements. SSD will definitely help.
You will need an SSD dock to directly access the drive.

Aah, thanks, Bob, that's exactly what I needed to know. :)

(Since asking that question, I've learned that when the 550D sends its HDMI signal out to an SSD, it includes the little white focussing square as well! Dang! That's alright, though, I'll use my Canon HV40 instead, with the Shuttle).

Thanks for the help, gents.

Cheers.
JimmyC
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

You can turn off the focusing square, can't you?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JimmyC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:You can turn off the focusing square, can't you?

Not sure, Chuck. I think you can, but it requires a bit of fiddling which I'm not confident about. I think if you do the Magic Lantern hack for the T2i, it's easy. But I haven't worked up the gumption to try that hack.

But in any case, I've decided I'll use my HV40 for this kind of filming.
JimmyC
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 am

I forgot to mention that I'm not sure whether the dual core iMac will have enough processing power to handle editing uncompressed video smoothly. If it turns out that that is the case, you can convert the video to a lossless intermediate codec and that should edit easily.
Bob

Postby JimmyC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:31 am

Bob wrote:I forgot to mention that I'm not sure whether the dual core iMac will have enough processing power to handle editing uncompressed video smoothly. If it turns out that that is the case, you can convert the video to a lossless intermediate codec and that should edit easily.

Yes, that was a concern of mine too, Bob. But as you say, if worse comes to worst I'll use ProRes or Lagarith or something. At least the footage will not have been initially compressed by the camera at the outset, so I'll still gain some image quality.
JimmyC
New User
New User

Return to After Effects