They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Stabilize Footage in AE or Mocha?

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Stabilize Footage in AE or Mocha?

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm

I've tried both and not getting good results. Since AE is point tracking and Mocha is plane, where would you place the point in AE and where would you draw the plane in Mocha? In hindsight, a small monopod with a clamp on the railing would have worked better than me holding the collapsed monopod.

This was taped on an HV30 in high def and downcoverted in the camera for capture in PrPro and burning a WS project. Would it be better to capture the clip in HD for AE or Mocha and then in AE export in a WS comp because of the pixels that would be thrown away in tracking by having to scale up a bit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Stabilize Footage in AE or Mocha?

Postby Paul LS » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Cheryl,

Look at the 6th post in this thread. He used AE to stablize a video clip. Impressive, maybe you could do it on the microphone.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/for ... eID=731307
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks Paul, that was a good discussion on that thread and the AE microphone stabilized quite well. Will try the microphone route. My Mocha plane attempt was the support beam above the the bride. Tried that in AE too. Also tried the flower stand in AE for a point track.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 pm

I'd try AE and track both position and rotation, that will use two tracking points. Ideally, the two track points should be far apart and roughly the same distance from the camera. That isn't possible here, so just pick something stationary and close to the Bride. I'd try the top end of the microphone as one point and the rose at the top of the flower arrangement behind the minister for the other and see how that works.

SD should track well enough. I wouldn't worry about having to go back to HD just for tracking.

( You two slipped in more posts while I was typing this. I guess I need to type faster and avoid interruptions. :lol: )
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Bob, how would I track 2 points with both Scale & Position? Place on Nulls then parent the Scale to one and Position to the other?

I thought Aliens were fast typers? :mrgreen:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm

You want to select at least position and rotation in the tracker. You probably don't need to select scale in this footage. If you apply the tracker to the source clip layer and select the stabilize option, the position and rotation (scale if selected) keyframes will apply to the source layer and counter the motion in the clip.

I thought Aliens were fast typers?

Only if we can use our brain wave enabled input device. Mine's broken and the nearest replacement is about 4.2 light years away. ;)

Actually, I was interrupted and finished when I came back.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Bob wrote:Only if we can use our brain wave enabled input device. Mine's broken and the nearest replacement is about 4.2 light years away. ;)

:lol: That explains a lot!

And thank you for the tracker how to.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to After Effects