They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AE error

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

AE error

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:47 pm

After Effects error: unable to allocate space for 375x122 image buffer.
You may be experiencing fragmentation. In the Memory & Multiprocessing Preference dialog box, try increasing RAM to leave for other applications, and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option in the Media & Disk Cache panel.

The Memory & Multiprocessing dialog box:

Installed CPU's: 4
Installed RAM: 3GB
Total AE memory usage: 1.2 GB
RAM to leave for other applications: .05 GB

Media & Cache panel:

Enable Disk Cache option is unchecked.

Before I change anything, I would like advice if I should and by how much. There is 4 GB of RAM and why does it read 3 GB? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: AE error

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 pm

RAM to leave for other applications: .05 GB

That sounds a bit too low. Is it really 0.05 and not 0.5 GB? You definitely should increase that value to avoid starving the OS and other running processes. Use at least 0.5. Since you have 32 bit after effects and enough RAM, you can afford to go up to 1GB if you wish.

There is 4 GB of RAM and why does it read 3 GB?

Most likely, it is reporting not the installed RAM, but the amount available after deducting the memory mapped RAM (For example, the ram on the video card). In a 32 bit OS, the physical memory on the video card, ports, etc. has to occupy part of the same 4GB memory address space as the RAM reducing the amount available.

Enable Disk Cache will not help this problem.

You can also try going to Edit>Purge and purge the cached memory. That will help if you have a fragmentation problem.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks Bob. I made a 25 second animation and exported it 3x making changes each time. The 4th export stalled out on about 90 frame and AE froze. The task manager had problems closing it all down too.

I had some computer work done a couple of weeks ago & he didn't quite finish so making a house call when he gets back into town. In the meantime I have completed a large project & had 2 exports out of AE.

The work that was done: added a new second internal, the D drive. He transferred the files, but the new 2nd internal was not designated D. He walked me thru the renaming and things were fine. But, on start up I get a message something like this:

"Cannot determine file system of drive (??)......
Windows has finished checking the disk."

Is this somehow related?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:32 pm

Export works now! And it was .5 and not .05. Thanks! At least one problem resolved. :)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 am

That's good!

The disk problem is most likely not related. But, that message at startup is not normal behavior and needs to be addressed. I take it the drive is working fine after bootup is complete?
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 am

Bob wrote: I take it the drive is working fine after bootup is complete?

Yes. It was important for the 2nd drive to be assigned "D" otherwise I would have to reconnect photos, video, wipes, etc in all my projects.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to After Effects