They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pr to AE Dynamic Link question

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Pr to AE Dynamic Link question

Postby tiny » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:21 am

So in Pr you can click on a clip, and pull it into AE to work on. Now, lets say I want to just build a object in AE, but not over any specific footage, is there a way to do that without setting up a separate project manually in AE?

Hope my question makes sense. [-(

Thanks!
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Pr to AE Dynamic Link question

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm

I don't have dynamic link, but I do have a practice project that I use to make a short title or effect in a new comp and then export as Qtime Animation.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Couldn't you just send any clip to AE and then create whatever you wanted? You don't need to use that clip in your composition do you?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 am

Couldn't you just send any clip to AE and then create whatever you wanted?

Dynamic link works differently than that. Essentially, it's like a frame server where individual frames are composited and transfered from one application to another on demand frame by frame -- i.e. no rendering/encoding until you finally export to the final form.

So in Pr you can click on a clip, and pull it into AE to work on. Now, lets say I want to just build a object in AE, but not over any specific footage, is there a way to do that without setting up a separate project manually in AE?

Yes, from Pr create a dynamic link to a new composition in AE: File > Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition. If AE is closed, it will be opened with a new project and comp with the proper settings. If open, it will add the comp to the current project (make sure any open comps are closed). The default comp length is 30 seconds, change that if necessary. The comp will appear in the Pr project panel and you can place it on the timeline and use it like any other asset.

You can also copy/paste assets between Pr and AE, but that's not the same thing as dynamic link.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks Bob, I knew there must be a way to do that :)

Bob wrote:Yes, from Pr create a dynamic link to a new composition in AE: File > Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks for the help! I didn't realize I could simply do that. :)
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby karri » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:52 am

tiny wrote:So in Pr you can click on a clip, and pull it into AE to work on.

Thanks!

How do you do that? Thanks :-D
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 am

karri wrote:How do you do that? Thanks :-D

Like this :)

Bob wrote:Yes, from Pr create a dynamic link to a new composition in AE: File > Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition. If AE is closed, it will be opened with a new project and comp with the proper settings. If open, it will add the comp to the current project (make sure any open comps are closed). The default comp length is 30 seconds, change that if necessary. The comp will appear in the Pr project panel and you can place it on the timeline and use it like any other asset.

You can also copy/paste assets between Pr and AE, but that's not the same thing as dynamic link.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby karri » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:
karri wrote:How do you do that? Thanks :-D

Like this :)

Bob wrote:Yes, from Pr create a dynamic link to a new composition in AE: File > Adobe Dynamic Link > New After Effects Composition. If AE is closed, it will be opened with a new project and comp with the proper settings. If open, it will add the comp to the current project (make sure any open comps are closed). The default comp length is 30 seconds, change that if necessary. The comp will appear in the Pr project panel and you can place it on the timeline and use it like any other asset.

LOL Chuck #-o lol The truth is, I've used Bob's method previously to create, for example, something new like an animated lower third in AE and bring it back into Pr. But, what I haven't been able to do is actually take a clip from the Pr Timeline and Dynamic Link it into AE to work on. Are you saying it's the same method for both? Thanks!
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:21 pm

See this help file entry: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS725e431141e7ba651172e081238226cdf5-8000.html. What you want to do is covered in the first paragraph: Create a composition from clips is Adobe Premiere Pro. The clip in Premiere Pro will be replaced by the composition.
Bob

Postby karri » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Bob wrote:See this help file entry: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS725e431141e7ba651172e081238226cdf5-8000.html. What you want to do is covered in the first paragraph: Create a composition from clips is Adobe Premiere Pro. The clip in Premiere Pro will be replaced by the composition.

Thanks for the link, Bob. "Replace With After Effects Composition" does not display in the context menu when I right click on a clip in a sequence. I'm using CS3, not 4; is that my trouble?
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Yes, that's one of the enhancements in CS4. In CS3, you can copy from Premiere Pro and paste into After Effects. And, you can copy from After Effects (with some limitations) and paste into Premiere Pro, but you don't get the automatic replacement that you can get in CS4. See the CS3 help file for details: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/help.html?content=WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabf53ab041041081290f-7fbb.html
Bob

Postby karri » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Bob wrote:Yes, that's one of the enhancements in CS4. In CS3, you can copy from Premiere Pro and paste into After Effects. And, you can copy from After Effects (with some limitations) and paste into Premiere Pro, but you don't get the automatic replacement that you can get in CS4. See the CS3 help file for details: http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/8.0/help.html?content=WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabf53ab041041081290f-7fbb.html

Thanks a lot, Bob ... that clarifies it for me :-D
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to After Effects