They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tut for AE Absolute Beginners

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Tut for AE Absolute Beginners

Postby momoffduty » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

This tut will walk the absolute beginner through a project:

http://www.surfacedstudio.com/tutorials ... beginners/
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Tut for AE Absolute Beginners

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Mom,

I am on a karma wave length with you today. I was just thinking on posting a question on Muvipix..........

What would the best tut be for a beginner on After Effects or what would be a good search for it.....wierd....

Anyway Happy Mothers Day in advance.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks Sidd for the early Mother's Day wishes. Yes, I think at times Muvipixers have a psychic channel going sometimes. A while back you posted a video that I was going to post. :fg:

The Video Co-Pilot Basic Training Tuts are very good to jump start into AE:

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed May 01, 2013 1:23 pm

I don't recall. Do you have After Effects, Sidd?
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Bob I do. I have CS5 and I am trying to learn this beast of a program. What I do is download some easy AE templates to see how they are set up and then try to learn from that. But I need a beginner tut so I can get the fundamentals.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Gerry » Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 pm

If you do Lynda.com, there are some very good tutorials there. There's a series called "After Effects Apprentice" that's 16 lessons long -- probably 50-60 hours. However it's very comprehensive, and each chapter in a lesson is only a small bite, so it's easy to digest. Plus the couple who teach it are amazing in that they repeat stuff without making it obvious, so you really are able to internalize most of it.

Now that I have CS4 (yay!) I'm in the process of going through it for the second time during lunch hours.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu May 02, 2013 2:38 am

Gerry, thanks for mentioning After Effects Apprentice. I've long recommended the book as an excellent beginning to learning After Effects. I haven't seen the video lessons, but I would expect that they are also excellent. Later, you will probably want to get their book Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects: Essential and Advanced Techniques which is probably the most highly regarded book on the subject.

Sidd, If you haven't already, I'd recommend watching the entire set of Video CoPilot Basic Training videos. They'll give you a good idea of the basic principles and set you up for further learning. Then, browse through the other tutorials on the site. There are examples of many very common tasks and techniques and will give you some good ideas to boot. Watch the ones that peak your interest.

There is a lot to learn, but fortunately, you don't need to know everything to be productive. You are going to have fun once you get going!
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu May 02, 2013 9:35 am

The After Effects Apprentice is a must book. It takes you through the different effects and panels. That is how I learned the keyboard shortcuts which was painstakingly slow, but glad I took the time to use them.

The 2nd book Bob mentioned is very good too. I have that one and skipped around to various lessons.

Lynda.com AE tuts are also invaluable to learn the program.

Sidd, that should keep you busy for about 6 months! :fg:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Gerry » Thu May 02, 2013 10:15 am

Actually the biggest problem for us non-professional AE hobbyists is finding cool projects to do!
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am

Gerry wrote:Actually the biggest problem for us non-professional AE hobbyists is finding cool projects to do!

Friend & family keep me busy. For all my video projects, I make the titles in AE. I have 3 students graduating this weekend and will shoot video for that. In AE I started the title work last week experimenting actually for a few hours. Now that I let it rest a week I have some changes to make. The first version is okay, but missing the pop. Since this is 3 individual projects all I will have to do is edit the title with their photos & names.

I have a few projects that I would like to do for myself more on the video art side. I plan on getting out this summer and shooting video with my new cam. Finally after 10 months learning that end things are starting to click.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 03, 2013 4:29 pm

I have found a few cool AE projects on videohive.net that I like. I try to understand what they did and I can manipulate them to get output but.........I need the basics so I know what I am tweeking...I will check out the 16 episode tut

SIdd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri May 03, 2013 9:05 pm

I haven't used any templates yet, but if I do this is one of the best AE templates authors out there. He has a few freebies on his website. Check out his others for sale too, very good.

http://s9motion.com/wp01/?page_id=258
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Gerry » Sun May 05, 2013 11:06 pm

momoffduty wrote:I haven't used any templates yet, but if I do this is one of the best AE templates authors out there. He has a few freebies on his website. Check out his others for sale too, very good.

http://s9motion.com/wp01/?page_id=258

Wow! VERY cool stuff!

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to After Effects