They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

background longer

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

background longer

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi All,

Now I know this is probably really a stupid question, but for some unknow reason I cannot work it out.
I have a made-up background that I have made up in PS imported it in but what I want to do is to make it a minute long
and I can't figure out how to do it.
Please forgive me for a such a stupid question but I am rather new to AE and I have played around with various other
things and even helped hubby do up one of his little funny videos which worked out well. But this something so simple,
but is escaping me.
Help grealty appreciated.

BG
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: background longer

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm

How long is your comp? When you drag the psd to a layer in the comp it will (should) be added as long as your comp length settings automatically. If not, just drag the end.

No dumb questions when it comes to AE! I get stumped too from time to time.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi Cheryl

That is where I am getting lost, yes I made a new comp, made the time 1.00, then imported the PSD, but when bringing it down
it remained at 6sec and I can't seem to drag it out. Any help is greatly appreciated, AE seems to be like that with me, just when
I think I have worked something out, I then always seem to end up back at square one over something that seems so simple.
Thanks
BG :conf:
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi again

Update just worked it out, no idea what I did wrong before but now it works. Just 2 more questions if I may, does AE have
any issues re PNG Files, I can import them ok but once in I don't seem to be able to get them to work properly, where as if
I bring the same file in as PSD no problems.

Another dumb question, when making a new comp I can't make the background transparent instead of a color where am I
going wrong?

Thanks in advance

BG
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Underneath the Composition monitor there is a button with a checkerboard pattern on it. If you hover the cursor over it, it will say "Toggle Transparency Grid". Click it and you should see the transparency grid.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:33 pm

I work with pngs in almost all my projects and no problems. I did have a problem with a TIFF file before so I change those to psd.

To add what Bob said regarding the background color. That color is for your view and you can change that color if needed by going to Comp>Comp Settings. In the panel that pops up there is a color swatch at the bottom you can change. I normally keep this on black, but there are times I have changed to get a better view. Usually, I have a solid or a texture as my background. If you need transparency on export, remember to change the export settings to Millions of Colors +. If you don't need transparency, then when you export the file it will have whatever background color you selected.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Again,

Thanks Bob, Cheryl, found the transparency, and now my PNG Files seem to be working well. Not sure what was happening
before maybe I was just having a bad day with AE. As I work through this program I am bound to have a zillion dumb questions,
but I will try not to be to annoying.
Thanks again
BG :exc:
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Bubby Grub wrote: As I work through this program I am bound to have a zillion dumb questions,
but I will try not to be to annoying.
Thanks again
BG :exc:

Ask away! I love AE & glad to help. :)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to After Effects