They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to apply Motion Tracking to a clip

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

How to apply Motion Tracking to a clip

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm

I have a couple of clips that I would like to apply motion tracking to the clip in AE. But the clip is of the space shuttle flyby so there is no constant reference point to apply motion tracking. What is the best way to get motion tracking applied to the entire clip

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Ho to apply Motion Tracking to a clip

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:58 pm

sidd finch wrote: there is no constant reference point to apply motion tracking.

Sidd

Not sure what you are saying. If you want to attached to the tail of the shuttle as your reference point then your title would move with that point. I don't think you need a static reference point. If the clip has several views of the shuttle you would have to break the clips into each view.

I haven't tried a motion ref point before.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: How to apply Motion Tracking to a clip

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Wait...Sidd has AE???? We better watch out! :shock:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm

Well no where near your ability Mom but I am trying to learn this thing. I did find in the Adobe forum the following:

If you are correcting the track for several contiguous frames, adjust the feature region and search region if necessary, and click Analyze. Watch the tracking to make sure that it is accurate. If the tracking is not accurate, then click the button again to stop tracking, adjust the feature region, and begin again.

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 pm

That's in plain English. :lol: What helped me when I used the motion track was to practice on a short length of the clip. It is easier to delete the comp and start fresh each time instead of trying to delete the keyframes. Sometimes it is trial and error to get the right settings.

Found these 2 tuts at Creative Cow. Haven't watched them, but the tuts at CC are very good.

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorial ... n-tracking
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Sidd, are you still using AE CS3? I think I remember you saying a long time ago that you had that version.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Bob I am using CS5.0 and I really like it. At some point I need to find the .5 upgrade and purchase it. I have been purchasing some simple AE templates from Videohive so I can see how they are doing some things. This is really helping me learn the program. I forsee a huge uphill climb.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 am

AE CS5 is a nice release. That's what I was using before I upgraded to CS6. The Warp stabilizer that came in starting with CS5.5 is pretty nice.

In addition to the Creative Cow tuts, here's a tracking tutorial from the VideoCopilot Basic Training that's worth watching. http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/05.Motiontracking/
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm

That was a great link Bob thank you. It really gives the tracking an easy explination.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to After Effects