They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Length of AE comp

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Length of AE comp

Postby mark hansen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm putting together a video for my grandson that will be birth to 18 months (maybe birth to 5 years if I keep on delaying things). One of my goals in the video is to do something different that I haven't done in the past. I've been looking at some momoffduty's stuff to get some ideas on ideas.

I have CS3 and was thinking on doing a scrap book type of thing. I did that with my mom's memorial video and had an old paper background and had photos change on that. I used corner pin to change the page ever once and a while. I've look at page curl and like that. I saw the camera "flying" over the page tut to get a close up at each picture... that may be good too. It looks like lots of work, but may be doable.

One of my basic questions is how long can a project (comp?) in AE be? Normally the stuff I've messed with is 30 sec. Can I make the whole thing in AE and have it be 8:30? What about music? I like to time the transitions with the music Does AE have an audio track, I haven't see one. This whole thing may be out of the scope of AE. If so, would I just make the page curl on two pages and bring that comp into PPro and work with it there?

Thanks for help with these basic questions.

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Length of AE comp

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:51 pm

how long can a project (comp?) in AE be?

Pretty much as long as you need it to be. The timecode allows for a single digit in the hours field -- that will take up up to 10 hours.

Can I make the whole thing in AE and have it be 8:30?

Yes, you can do the whole thing in AE. Just keep in mind that that AE is a motion graphics and compositing tool. It has editing capabilities, but it is not an NLE like PPro.

Does AE have an audio track

You are still thinking in terms of an NLE. In the sense of an NLE, no, there isn't an audio track. However, AE does support audio and you can add audio files to your project and use them in a composition.

If you place a video clip which has audio into a composition, the audio is not shown separately from the video as another track. If you click on the twirl down arrow to expand the video track in the composition, you'll see an audio item, expand that and the waveform property and you'll see the waveform.

If you add a wav file to the project, you can add it to the composition timeline just like you would any other source item. Again, you would need to expand the item if you want to see the waveform.

You can't use the spacebar to preview the audio, use the numpad. The Period previews the audio only while the Zero key previews the audio and video. Note there is a mute button in the panel where you set your RAM preview controls. Be sure you aren't muted.

Exporting, be sure to set the Output module to enable audio rendering.
Bob

Postby mark hansen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks Bob, its nice to kow I have that direction open for me. BTW, what does NLE mean
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Non Linear Editing (non Destructive), meaning it does not actually edit the original clips, they are always left in their original condition no matter how much editing you do.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:42 am

And don't forget to save often in AE!
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:57 am

By NLE I meant Non Linear Editor (which, of course, would be used for Non Linear Editing). :-D
Bob

Postby mark hansen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks for the answers..
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to After Effects