They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Composition settings

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Composition settings

Postby thhult » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi,
I intend to create animated transitions before and after a DVD menu. In Encore, I have chosen a menu, 1920x1080, which I transfer to After Effects with "Create Composition in After Effects".
In After Effects, I do various animations, on buttons and headers. The problem I have is that when I run in Encore the rendered avi file (timeline) before the DVD menu is the size not exactly the same.
I have tested with various settings with Preset and PAR in the Composition Settings in After Effects, with varying success. For example, Preset: HDV 1080 25 and PAR D1/DV PAL Widescreen. This combination is almost right just a narrow black border on the left and right side.
Can anyone advise me so that I understand how this works?
Grateful for help
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Composition settings

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 pm

DVDs aren't 1920x1080, Thomas. They're more like 720x480.

When you start your Composition in After Effects, select the option for NTSC DV. There should be one for 4:3 and one for widescreen, so there's one of each. Then, when you render the file for output, select an MPEG 720x480 option using the same settings and you should be all set!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thhult » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your answer. I expressed myself incorrectly. I used the "Blank Menu HD 2" as a template, to be used in a Blue-Ray Project. The menu has resolution 1920x1080.
Hoping for your help.
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:46 pm

The general rule of thumb is that you want your Comp to be the same size as your project in PrPro and I would think that is true of Encore. Did you try the preset HDTV 1080 frame rate 25? This is square pixels. If there is still a little black on each side, you could change the pixels width a few, but you shouldn't have to do this.

I think Paul, Bill Hunt, or Bob may have experience with this.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to After Effects