They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Page Turn

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

Page Turn

Postby slushparlor1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 am

Happy Monday!
I'm working on my dreaded page Turn (you know the one I've been trying to do in Premiere for over a year?). But now I have the create tutorial that you folks recommended so I've been trying to get it together in AE. I seem somewhat closer but have a question.

When I run this in AE it really looks like a book is opening. But when I play it back it doesn't look like that. What are your thoughts. And I've been trying to get my "Year in Review" title to turn with my first page. I've tried to parent it to the page and parent it to the Null and nothing seems to be working. I've watched the video a few times but didn't catch how to do this. I've attached my little work in progress. Maybe someone might have some thought for me?

Thanks!

Theresa

[quicktime]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10753/YIR2011.mov[/quicktime]

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... IR2011.mov
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Page Turn

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 am

Precomp the book cover & the Year in Review Title. And they will move as one unit.

FIRST SAVE YOUR PROJECT as a NEW VERSION. File>Save As and rename.. My AE Projects are Name_v1, Name_v2, etc. (TIP: If you name your project when you first start it include at the end_v1 that way you can use the File> Save As Version each time )

If you use the Layer>Precomp method you will have to delete your keyframes and make changes because it will not allow you to keep your attributes in the main comp. It is easier to do this:

Copy your Cover Layer Ctrl+C and create a new comp the same size as your main comp and length about 20 seconds should be enough, name the Comp "Book Cover" & Ctrl+V to paste the cover into the new comp. Uncheck 3D in the Precomp.

Repeat for your title to move it to the new Book Cover Comp. Uncheck 3D. The Book Cover Comp is 2D.

In the main comp delete the title.

Select your Cover Layer in the Main Comp and then find your Book Cover Comp in the Project Panel and replace the Cover Layer by Alt+Drag the New Book Comp to the Cover Layer.

Now your Book Comp should have all the attributes....the 3D, the Rotation keyframes, and the Anchor Point value.

Your cover appears to disappear during the turn. Your Photo page layer should be 1 or 2 less value than your Cover layer. Check their Position Z values to adjust. If the cover needs to be slightly larger than scale up just a little to 105% approximately.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Something is wrong. It should have worked with parenting -- either to a null or the page. Did you make all the layers you were rotating 3D? They need to be.

Placing all the elements of a page in a composition is a good idea. Having a different composition for each page is a great way to keep things organized and clear. It's especially useful when you have a lot of elements on a page or are doing some complex animation. I would normally create a comp for each page first and then place and animate them in a main comp. But, precomping works just as well. In the main comp, make them 3D layers, move the anchor point to the pivot point (I prefer the pan behind tool), and rotate around the y axis.

What's the url for the tut? It would help if I could see what you are following.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Bob wrote:Something is wrong. It should have worked with parenting -- either to a null or the page. Did you make all the layers you were rotating 3D? They need to be.

What's the url for the tut? It would help if I could see what you are following.

I think the tut she is referring to is the the DJ Wedding Album.
http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=357

Bob, that is correct that you could parent the title to the book page & both need to be 3D. The problem I found with that is the title appears to float during the turn. It looks better in my opinion if the title & cover are in their own comp.

And an Edit to my notes: To save as a version I believe the correct words are File>Increment & Save. I will double check that.

And Move the Book Cover Comp forward in Z space instead of moving all the photo page items back.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby slushparlor1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Thank you for posting the link Cheryl. Thank you both. More work to do. I appreciate you letting me get some feedback as I work!

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm

The problem I found with that is the title appears to float during the turn.

It won't if the title and the other objects that rotate together are at the same z depth. Layer order will determine what's visible.

While you can set up a page turn using just parenting, it's a lot easier to work with comps for each page. And, in general, that's what I would recommend.

Thanks for the link, I'll look at it later today when I have more time.
Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:36 pm

:mlol: That was the one I posted the link to. :mlol:

Out of sight, out of mind...
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 pm

I tried placing the title 1 pixel difference in Z space and no floating. The parenting will work for a quick fix to your problem Theresa, I am used to organizing by comps.

As to Layer Order vs. Z value:
Last year I had a problem with photos that had the same Z value and were overlapping based on the layer panel order. When I zoomed into one photo the 2 photos blended together as though their opacity was lowered. Ever since then I have been careful to place photos based on Z space and not layer order. Today I tried to recreate this unwanted effect when they have the same Z value and the odd thing it didn't happen. Very odd.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Bob wrote::mlol: That was the one I posted the link to. :mlol:

Out of sight, out of mind...

I wasn't going to mention that. :lol:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to After Effects