They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Copy & paste between projects?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Copy & paste between projects?

Postby angelah100 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Is it possible to copy and paste clips from one project to another? I have a mini movie made thru Instant Movie that has a few pan & zoom clips that I would love to just copy and paste from this mini movie to my bigger project. Is that possible?
angelah100

Re: Copy & paste between projects?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Technically, not within the program. But there are two options:

1) Export your InstantMovie by going to Share/Personal Computer/AVI. The exported AVI will load right into a DV project with virtually no loss of quality!

2) Download a program called ClipMate. It extends the Windows clipboard so that you CAN cut and paste between Premiere Elements projects!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:27 pm

To copy and paste between projects, you need a 3rd party utility called Clipmate, from http://www.thornsoft.com. It's a little tricky to get Clipmate set up so it can copy and paste between Premiere Elements 8 projects, but it can be done. After installing Clipmate I initially need to copy some text first in Premiere Elements (name of a clip in the Project Panel) before attempting to copy items on the timeline. If you successfully copy an item in Premiere Elements, you should hear a "pop" sound. The items you copy will stay in the Clipmate database until you delete them, so you can paste items you copied today into any projects you set up in the future.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby angelah100 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:53 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Technically, not within the program. But there are two options:

1) Export your InstantMovie by going to Share/Personal Computer/AVI. The exported AVI will load right into a DV project with virtually no loss of quality!

2) Download a program called ClipMate. It extends the Windows clipboard so that you CAN cut and paste between Premiere Elements projects!

If I use the exported AVI, there's no way to break it apart into its components though, is that correct? (I am only trying to copy parts of the movie, not the whole thing.) Still, this is good to know because if you apply a theme to only part of the movie (like the first clip), then you can't select the opening & closing parts of the theme. I could create a mini movie of the first clip for example which would include the opening title part of the theme, import that into a new movie. That might be something I'll need.

I need to check out clipmate, too. That would be handy to have especially since I'm creating different versions of basically the same movie....

Thank you!
angelah100

Postby angelah100 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:54 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:To copy and paste between projects, you need a 3rd party utility called Clipmate, from http://www.thornsoft.com. It's a little tricky to get Clipmate set up so it can copy and paste between Premiere Elements 8 projects, but it can be done. After installing Clipmate I initially need to copy some text first in Premiere Elements (name of a clip in the Project Panel) before attempting to copy items on the timeline. If you successfully copy an item in Premiere Elements, you should hear a "pop" sound. The items you copy will stay in the Clipmate database until you delete them, so you can paste items you copied today into any projects you set up in the future.

Thank you for the link and your description of how to use it!
angelah100

Postby angelah100 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I now have a copy of Clipmate. If I copy a clip from one project, how do I control where it is pasted (track & timing) in the new project? The other thing that puzzles me is how to tell, within Clipmate, which copied item is which. The items from Premiere Elements have sort of a cryptic title and I can't tell one clip from another (nor audio clips from video clips) from within Clipmate.
angelah100

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:03 pm

You can rename the clip items in Clipmate so they have more meaningful names.

I can't remember, but try moving the CTI to the location where you want to paste. You may not be able to paste to any track other than track 1. Then you would have to drag and drop the clip on other tracks.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:You can rename the clip items in Clipmate so they have more meaningful names.

I can't remember, but try moving the CTI to the location where you want to paste. You may not be able to paste to any track other than track 1. Then you would have to drag and drop the clip on other tracks.

In addition, if you haven't already done so, go into Clipmate and select Tools > Application Profile from the menu. You'll see Adobe Premiere Elements listed. Expand the tree for Adobe Premiere Elements and check all the boxes. If you don't do that, you won't be able to copy much of anything from Premiere Elements.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby angelah100 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm

This has been really helpful. Thank you, RJ.
angelah100

Postby ChancyRat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm glad to find this thread as I want to solve the same problem. Could I ask:

- Does clipmate work for PE7 (it's described for PE8)?
- Since I can have only 1 project open at a time, I presume you copy the clips you want to clipmate, close your project, open your new one, and paste there?
- Does the clip you copy retain the properties you had set, such as slow/fast motion, fade in/out, volume setting?

Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby angelah100 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:40 pm

ChancyRat wrote:I'm glad to find this thread as I want to solve the same problem. Could I ask:

- Does clipmate work for PE7 (it's described for PE8)?
- Since I can have only 1 project open at a time, I presume you copy the clips you want to clipmate, close your project, open your new one, and paste there?
- Does the clip you copy retain the properties you had set, such as slow/fast motion, fade in/out, volume setting?

Thanks.

I can only give you partial answers, but this is what I know:
- Clipmate is not specifically designed for PE, it works with most programs so there is no reason to think that it would not work with PE7. You might be able to get an answer from the Clipmate site.
- Yes, you have to copy the clips you want in the 1st project, either remember the order in which you copied them or rename them as you go within Clipmate so you will recognize them later. Then open the 2nd project to paste the clips.
- I can't speak to clip volume since mine were silent old-movie clips, but my copied clips retained all the effects that I had applied in the first project (pan & zoom, fades etc)

Hope that helps a bit!
angelah100

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:53 pm

In earlier versions of Premiere Elements, there is a problem copying transitions and audio. You can't copy transitions, and you lose the audio when you save the project where you paste. From what I have seen, these problems are fixed in Premiere Elements 8.

After pasting in earlier versions, you have to export the audio to a wav file and then replace the audio on the timeline with the exported wav file before you save the project. There's actually a menu item for doing that automatically: "Clip > Audio Options > Render and Replace." Before using that, select all clips on the timeline first. When you look in the project panel, you will see the individual WAV clips that were created.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:21 pm

I've downloaded the trial version to see what I can do, and I can't get Clipmate to copy anything at all from PE7. I have tried an .m2ts file, .wav, a title slide.
This error message shows:

"The Windows Clipboard has data which ClipMate did not capture. The clipboard data may be invalid, or it may have bdeen filtered by the Application Profile. See the setting for [ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS]."

I assume this means to check the Application profile in Clipmate, and there, PE is not on the list and I see no way to add it.

Can I do anything to add PE to the program, or does this mean nothing will ever work?

Tx,
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:40 am

Start reading from the top of this thread. I give instructions on how to get it working.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:35 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:Start reading from the top of this thread. I give instructions on how to get it working.

I hate it when I don't read. I really appreciate it when someone tells me to! Thanks.
However, I still can get only so far. PE now appears in the application profile list, but I'm unable to copy any type of clip (avi, wav, png, .m2ts, etc.). The items in the App Profile on Clipmate are these:

text
unicodtext
locale
Premiereelements OS Clipboard format
Premiere AE Exchange
Adobe Title Designer 7.0 file

I tried starting to change the tile of each of these clip types and copying just that, to see if that would trigger Clipmate to add them (as it had added PE in the first place that way), but nothing 'took'. Since it sounds like some of this should work in PE7, suggestions would be appreciated as to how I can get them working. Thanks.

EDIT: Okayyyyy ... when I copy a clip on the timeline, I hear the POP that seems to indicate something has been copied, and the description in the Clipmate inbox is Other: with a date. The description in the bottom part of Clipmate remains: "... has data with Clipmate did not capture ... may have been filtered by the Application Profile, see the APE settings.." However there are no new items to check in the App. Profile.

When I copy a clip in the project area, I hear the whine of "nothing copied."

So I'm hearing the copy POP but not seeing anything in Clipboard. Are there more tricks to get this operational? thanks
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 8