They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HD and SD on same project?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

HD and SD on same project?

Postby csgaraglino » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm

I recorded HDV and SD today, can I use these in the same project?
If so, what do I use for a starting template?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios On Web || On Flickr || On Vimeo
csgaraglino

Re: HD and SD on same project?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:43 am

You can have an HD project, in which case your SD footage will need to be 'zoomed in' to fill the frame, but that will result in very different image quality between the HD and SD footage in the HD project. Or you can downconvert the HD footage to SD (it is a menu option in the camera) and produce an SD project.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:00 am

If you final export will be to standard definition then work in a SD project. Either donwconvert as John says or bring the HD clips straight into a SD project.
If I use SD clips in a HD project I de-select scale-to-frame (right click on the clip and de-select the option as it is on by default) and use the SD video within a background maintaining the SD definition original frame size. Otherwise the blown up video looks grainy compared to the HD video.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:51 am

The biggest challenge with using HDV and standard DV (if it's DV-AVI) in the same project is that the HDV MPEGs and the DV-AVIs use different interlacing formats -- and that can result in one or the other playing fluttery in your final project.

My recommendation? Open a project with HDV project settings and place your video on its timeline. Then Share that using the DV-AVI output in the Personal Computer category. Then you can mix both that video and your DV footage in a project using the standard DV project settings.

There's also the option of simply capturing your HDV footage as standard DV, a feature virtually all HDV camcorders have.

In any event, I don't recommend mixing DV and HDV in the same project. Better to ensure they're the same format and codec.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby csgaraglino » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for the responses, this makes sense...
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios On Web || On Flickr || On Vimeo
csgaraglino

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:The biggest challenge with using HDV and standard DV (if it's DV-AVI) in the same project is that the HDV MPEGs and the DV-AVIs use different interlacing formats -- and that can result in one or the other playing fluttery in your final project.

Steve, I've got an ongoing project that was set up as SD with all SD footage .. but now as I add little pieces to it, they're all HD. So far I've been pleased with the final product (MPEGs & FLV). Maybe I've just been lucky, but would burning a DVD produce different results than an FLV might?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:19 pm

I believe that if one output works, they all should produce the same results, Jayell.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Well, if you burn to DVD and play on an interlaced TV then you could run into field order issues with the upper field first HDV. This may appear as jerky playback... if so you will need to reverse the field order of the HDV on the timeline.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Are you sure, Paul?

If you load the HDV into a project set up for HDV and then output a DVD or even a DV-AVI from it, doesn't the program automatically reverse the field dominance as part of the preset?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 pm

I've got an ongoing project that was set up as SD with all SD footage .. but now as I add little pieces to it, they're all HD.

Placing HD MPEG2 in a DV-AVI project is the same as placing standard definition MPEG2 in a DV-AVI project... you need to reverse the field order. That said, I dont use this workflow so have not witnessed the problem.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 pm

I may have spoken too soon. I just realized that I have thrown those HD clips into the project bin, but have not yet processed that new version. image055 .. now I know how to do it properly. Thanks.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 8