They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE8 with Windows 7, or PE7?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

PE8 with Windows 7, or PE7?

Postby StuOS » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 pm

I can still get old copies of PE7, but I'm planning on getting a new machine loaded with Windows 7, and PE7 wasn't designed for Windows 7 (though there may be a way to update it -- IF it works). It appears that PE8 has huge problems on anything other than very powerful machines, but I'm planning on getting a DELL 9000 XPS with a core i-7 920 processor and 6G of RAM. The i-7 920 has a clock speed of 2.66 Hz, and Adobe recommends clock speeds in excess of 3.0 Hz to run HD -- which is INSANE. Can that be right? That will cost an extra $1,000!

So, a few questions. Will the i-7 920 work OK with only a 2.66 Hz speed? Did Adobe use 3.0 Hz because it wasn't considering the new i-7? Am I better off getting PE7 and trying to upgrade the thing to work on Windows 7, or is that just adding a bigger headache than holding my nose and buying PE8?

Thanks to all!
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PE8 with Windows 7, or PE7?

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Stu,

I'm using Premiere Elements 7 with Windows 7 64-bit and it works well. I've encountered no problems so far. I'd be reluctant to go to PE8 until a patch has been issued and it's proven to be more stable.

I wouldn't worry about the clock speed of the i7 920 processor either. Encoding and decoding video is very compute intensive. That's why the faster clock times are preferred. Especially for heavily compressed video sources such as AVCHD. But, to the extent that PE7 and the particular codec being used can utilize multiple processors for parallel processing, the i7 should improve performance quite a bit. For the most part, I think you will be happy with the 2.66 MHZ i7. Should AVCHD still prove to be a bit taxing, you can always convert that to more easily processed intermediate codec.

The i7 920 is a quad processor with hyperthreading. The processor will appear to the OS to have 8 cores. It's definitely not the same as actually having 8 cores since every two hyperthreads are actually competing for the resources of a single core, but it does give your system much better ability to handle parallel processing than a quad without hyperthreading and far more than a dual core or single core.

I'm using aQ6600 Quad at 2.66 MHz and it's been very satisfactory. Of course, I'm not using AVCHD yet.
Bob

Postby roadsideron » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:23 pm

I built an iCore 860 and when I render in PE 7 on Windows Xp 32 bit all eight cores peak at about 50% and vary under that. When I render anything in Virtualdub all eight cores run about 90% sometimes hitting 100 % and it shows in the core temps. Too bad PE didn't use all the core power. But it's still better than anything I've had.

I just got a copy of Windows 7 and I'm going to intall it. Good to hear that PE 7 works in that OS.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby SteveG » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:02 pm

Hey Ron, I ordered the same computer you are planning on getting. It SHOULD be here the end of this week or beginning of next week. I am very much looking forward to putting PE7 to the test.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby roadsideron » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:40 pm

I forgot to say that I have this 2.8 ghz overclocked to 3.68 easily on an air cpu cooler. It's an after market cooler but it was only 20 bucks. Both the Core i7 920's, 860's and Core i5's are easily overclocked and run stable. I have Virtualdub on this computer and when I render a file in VD it peaks all eight cores to almost continuous 100% usage. It will do this for up to 15 minutes straight while overclocked with no problems. With the stock cpu cooler(which is a joke) it would run up to 85 C while rendering and idle at 60 C which is too hot. With the cheap $20 heat sink it now idles at about 30 C and peaks just over 60 C when rendering with VD. When rendering in PE 7 it only uses up to 50% cpu usage and the temps never go above 55C. Let us know when you get your new system.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby StuOS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks all. My main computer has been in the shop for a few days, so that's why it took me so long to get back. Thank goodness PE7 will run on Windows 7.

A question about overclocking: Does this happen automatically if you buy a cooler, or is there something else you have to do to make it happen?
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:03 pm

No, it doesn't happen automatically. If you're going to overclock any of the i7's then you must first install an aftermarket cpu cooler since it will cause the cpu to run hotter than the original specs. The first thing you should do is to download a small program called cpuz to get the model and specs on your motherboard then you can go from there. It's not difficult to overclock but it will take a little learning on your part. So, if you're willing to attempt it, I'll try and help you. If not, then the system, as it is, should be fine for what you're doing.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 pm

roadsideron wrote:The first thing you should do is to download a small program called cpuz to get the model and specs on your motherboard....

Roadsideron, I've been looking for a way to gather that information. Thanks for sharing.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby StuOS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks much!
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 am

Sorry to trudge up a three-week old thread, but I just wanted to be clear...

I upgraded my Win XP machine to Win 7 a couple of weeks ago.

Am I understanding that I CAN run PE 7 on it?

Also, can PE 7 edit HD video? :)

(Oh... and hello to Chuck and Steve! It's been a while guys but I haven't forgotten about you! :) )

Take care all!
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 am

Hi, Ted! Welcome back!

Yes, you should have no problems running Premiere Elements 7 on a Windows 7 machine. Although some people are having challenges running it on the 64-bit version of Windows 7. The 32-bit version should work great though.

And, yes, you can certainly edit both HDV and AVCHD in version 7.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:54 am

Hey Ted, Welcome back, and Happy 2010 :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Ted,

I have been running PE7 on Win7 64bit for a couple weeks now and it's been running just fine. However I haven't taxed the system yet. It is also on a new computer that had Win7 already installed.

There was one small issue but I created a new thread in the Tips and Tricks forumn to describe it and how I fixed it.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Welcome back Ted!

I have been running PE7 on Windows 7 64-bit and it's running great. I've encountered no problems at all with PE 7. Should run great on the 32-bit Windows 7 too. Since you upgraded from XP, that had to be a clean install. I wouldn't expect you to have many problems. An upgrade in place retains the junk and registry errors inherited from the previous OS and is much more likely to encounter problems. Which did you upgrade to -- 32-bi or 64-bit?
Bob

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Hello gentlemen, and happy new year, Chuck!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and responses. :)

I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 system with 8 Gig of ram and a quad core... (whatever that means! LOL)

Well, I'm comforted to know a few of you have had success and I guess I'll just need to install and give it a shot. :)

Maybe I need to renew my subscription here, eh? So many good resources! Like an idiot I stopped the subscription at $50, but even at $70, it's a great deal! :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 8