They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Crashing during DV Capture -- Device Control

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Crashing during DV Capture -- Device Control

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:57 pm

While trying to capture from my miniDV camcorder over firewire into Premiere Elements 8, PRE8 would always crash. There were all sorts of things that I thought might be causing the crashes, and eventually I narrowed it down to a bug in the "device control." If the "Device Control" setting in preferences is set to "DV," then PRE8 crashes within a few minutes, if not immediately, of starting capture. So I set the "Device Control" setting to "None" and manually started playback of my camcorder. That eliminated the crashes during capturing.

Then I discovered another bug. The "Device Control" setting that I set to "None" kept getting reset to "DV" automatically when the camcorder was turned on. So while I thought "Device Control" was set to "None," PRE8 kept crashing away. Finally the way to make the setting stick was to make the change to the setting from the Capture window instead of going through the main Edit menu.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Crashing during DV Capture -- Device Control

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Very interesting RJ, I hope it helps some of us fix the problem.
Too bad Adobe can't seem to duplicate the problems we are all facing with version 8.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 8