They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Motion Tracking problems

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: Motion Tracking problems

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:37 am

Assuming you've got a new miniDV camcorder, can you try capturing into Premiere Elements and see if you get different results?

You shouldn't. A type 2 DV-AVI is a type 2 DV-AVI, right? But it could be that something is getting injected into the format that's making a very minor difference in how the clip behaves in the Auto Analyzer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 am

Paul LS wrote:I gave it a try... put the bear clip on the timeline, I then clicked on the Track Motion icon, it asked if I wanted to "Run auto analyzer to track moving object"... I said no, the box with handles appeared, I then adjusted the box around the bear and hit "Track object"... it tracked it for 25% of the clip and then stopped. I think it lost the object... rather then the object moving across the frame the camera is tracking the object and also there is a lot of camera shake (not surprised being so close to the bear... :lol: ). Anyway I added a clip art and ran the clip... you can see as you get towards the 25% mark the tracking object drops off the edge of the frame.

Anyway, I placed another clip on the timeline (a clip with little shake and the object walking across the frame)... it tracked the object with no problem.

I then placed another clip on the timeline... one where the object moves fast across the frame... as in the bear clip... the object was too fast and the camera shaky and it could not track the object and stopped the analyzing after a few percent.

I put another "good" clip on the timeline and it tracked the object fine.

Regarding updates to the computer... I have not done any on this machine for some time.

Maybe I will find a clip with somting moving accross the the view slowly without the camera tracking.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am

One more thing, can someone post a screen shot of a clip immediately after clicking on the yellow motion mode button, before they do anything else. I just want to see what I should be seeing, because I still believe I am not getting the proper results at the first step.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Assuming you've got a new miniDV camcorder, can you try capturing into Premiere Elements and see if you get different results?

You shouldn't. A type 2 DV-AVI is a type 2 DV-AVI, right? But it could be that something is getting injected into the format that's making a very minor difference in how the clip behaves in the Auto Analyzer.

I do have a new mini-dv camcorder and I will try this when I get home. I forgot to mention that the clip I used was a piece I cut out of the original clip on the timeline. I then rendered the work bar in PR8 and exported it to my pc as an avi and then uploaded it to the gallery. All my 65 hours of movies were shot with the same old Sony camcorder and captured with scenalyzer and I still have all the original tapes. In addition to shooting new footage I will try capturing the bear clip into PRE8 also.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 am

Here is what I get when I click the track motion "ball" icon:

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... ion_00.JPG

I then click "No" and then click the Track Motion button at the top of the monitor and get this:

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... motion.JPG Note you will need to maximize the screen shot to see the box with handles.

Also note if you have auto-analyzed the clip or tracked objects before in the clip you will get yellow boxes on the screen of objects that have been tracked. Once you hit the "Track Motion" button at the top of the monitor window these will go and the box with handles will appear.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 am

Paul LS wrote:Here is what I get when I click the track motion "ball" icon:

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... ion_00.JPG

I then click "No" and then click the Track Motion button at the top of the monitor and get this:

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... motion.JPG Note you will need to maximize the screen shot to see the box with handles.

Also note if you have auto-analyzed the clip or tracked objects before in the clip you will get yellow boxes on the screen of objects that have been tracked. Once you hit the "Track Motion" button at the top of the monitor window these will go and the box with handles will appear.

Thank you Paul. This was what I was suspecting. If I click "no" or if I let it analyze, it go to a screen with NO box. The only time I ever see a box is if I click on "add object" and then it never completes the tracking. Maybe fresh clips and PRE8 capture will solve this. Otherwise I guess I will have to contact (dread #-o ) Adobe.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:One question about this video, Clayton. Is it from a miniDV camcorder or converted from another format? Or maybe was it captured by an earlier version of the program -- or even another program?

The reason I ask is that I've run it through G Spot and, although it is showing as a Type 2 AVI, it is listed as AVI v.1.0 rather than, as mine, AVI v2.0.

I've no idea what that means exactly -- hopefully someone on this forum will -- but I wonder if that's why your clip is behaving differently than mine.

Steve, I haven't had time to try downloading a clip to PRE8 yet, but interestinly I ran G spot on the original clip and it shows Type 2 AVI, and Open DML(AVI v2.0). The clip I sent you shows v1.0 as you said. The strange thing is it was cut from the longer clip, rendered and saved as an AVI via share> personal computer. Wonder why it changed?
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Okay I shot a short clip with a person walking with my Sony DCR-HC52. I then dowloaded it thru PRE8, autoanalyzed it. Checked it with Gspot (AVI v 2.0). Selected the clip on the time line and clicked on the yellow motion tracking mode button. Same results, no box. Clicked on add object, adjusted the box and pressed track object. Dialogogue opens for a second and then zilch. Must be a bad copy? Will call Adobe I guess when I have a day to spend on the phone. :twisted:
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:50 pm

I really wish everyone with v8 issues would call Adobe. That way they get an idea of how many people are having problems.
It is a pain I know, but when people don't call then they don't listen. They almost never check the forums and aren't paying a lot of attention to me or Steve right now because their team can't reproduce many of the problems.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to PRE Version 8