They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

No sound in exported MPEG

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

No sound in exported MPEG

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 pm

I exported a 15 minute project to MPEG2, in PRE8, with the highest quality selected. The video looks good, but it doesn't have any sound. I have both Export Video and Export Audio checked in the options, but the resulting MPEG is silent. I then exported the same project, with the same settings, onto a DVD, and the sound works fine (but, of course, the video quality isn't nearly as good).

I've exported smaller segments of this project before in MPEG2 and the sound has been inconsistent. Sometimes there, sometimes not. But this one is completely silent. If I export it in any other format, the sound works, but not in MPEG. Any ideas on what might be wrong?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: No sound in exported MPEG

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:30 pm

I can't answer your question directly, but those who can will probably ask what your source files are and how you got them int Premiere Elements.
Peru

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:38 pm

They're HDV MPEGs, captured from the camera using PRE8, then split using HDVSplit, and imported into another PRE8 project from the PRE8 Organizer.

I originally captured them into PRE8 before I had downloaded HDVSPlit, but soon realized that 7 hours of video, in one hour clips, is very difficult to work with. So I split them using HDVSplit, imported them into the PRE8 Organizer to catalog and keyword, and then created a new PRE8 project, into which I only import the clips I'm actually using.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Which Share preset are you using to create this MPEG, Peggig?

And what program are you playing the MPEG back on when you hear no sound?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 pm

And what is the exported file extension .mpg?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Should be m2t
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Which Share preset are you using to create this MPEG, Peggig?

I used the NTSC DVD Widescreen preset, but set the Quality slider set to 5 (highest). (The default setting is 3.) I used that preset because I was intending to burn it to a DVD, but needed it in a higher quality than you get when you export directly to DVD. I figured, since it's only 15 minutes, I could fit it on a DVD with the highest MPEG quality. I wasn't sure which preset would give me that, so I used the one that says it can be played on a DVD. (I also exported directly to DVD for comparison, and the NTSC DVD Widescreen preset did create a significantly higher quality video, except that it has no sound.)

Steve Grisetti wrote:And what program are you playing the MPEG back on when you hear no sound?

I'm playing it back using Windows Media Player, which is my default video player.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Should be m2t

What's the difference between m2t and mpeg?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Not much, M2T is a transport stream, used for broadcast from what I understand, but it has some additional overhead/info embedded which allows for transport over lossy media. MPG is a program stream... used on DVDs and such.

I was wondering if your file was .M2V ie a video only file.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:31 pm

The file extension is mpg.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 am

Instead of playing it in Windows Media Player, try playing it with the DVD player software that launches on your computer when you put a commercial DVD in your drive.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:07 pm

It's worse than I originally thought. I thought this was just on MPEGs exported to a file on the computer, but I made a DVD for a friend, of a video I shot a couple of days ago, and the same thing happened when he played it on his DVD player. (I haven't tried this myself because I don't have a TV.)

In this case, the video was captured straight from the camera into PRE8. I didn't do any editing. I just captured the video and exported it directly to DVD, using the DVD widescreen setting. He says it played fine for about seven and a half minutes, and then the sound dropped out and didn't come back. That's the same thing that happens when I export to an MPEG file on my computer.

I was also hoping this problem would go away when I switched to PRE7, but I did a quick test export of a short video from PRE7, and the sound drops out on that, too.

I searched Adobe's support site, and found a couple of posts where other people experienced the same problem, but I didn't find any solutions. This is a major problem because I'm working on a video for which I'm being paid (first time for me), and it has to have sound.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:12 pm

This is something that might be best solved by calling Adobe Tech Support.
Unless anyone has any idea as to what might be causing this.
No audio at all is one thing, but audio for 7 minutes and then nothing is something else.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:00 pm

What's peculiar is that the audio is there, it just stops playing at some point. If I insert the DVD and skip around, I can hear the audio at any point in the DVD. But, after playing for awhile, it stops. I initially thought it might be a problem with my computer or audio card, but it happens with the DVD player also, so it seems to be a problem inherent to the exported video itself.

I've epported many DVDs and MPEG2 files with PRE3, on the same computer, and never had a problem, but that was from Standard Definition video. It may have something to do with it coming from HDV.

On the Adobe forums, other people have mentioned having the same kind of problems, but I haven't seen any solutions.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8