They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE 8 can´t shut down

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

PE 8 can´t shut down

Postby thhult » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:34 am

I have just installed PE 8 and after shut down and when I try to start again the program locks up. After the splash screen nothing happens. When I look in the Task Manager I see that the process "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe *32" is still going on. When I shut down the process in the Task Manager the start works ok. In the Task Manager there is also the process "Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe *32".

Have anyone any explanation I was very greatful ?

Regards
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: PE 8 can´t shut down

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:35 am

I have just installed PE 8 and after shut down and when I try to start again the program locks up. After the splash screen nothing happens. When I look in the Task Manager I see that the process "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe *32" is still going on. When I shut down the process in the Task Manager the start works ok. In the Task Manager there is also the process "Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe *32".

use the task manager to kill the process.

I saw this post by Steve in another thread. Maybe this can help in the future.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6326
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:52 am

Yes, that little utility has made a world of difference in the way version 8 opens and closes for me!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thhult » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks for your answer. I have tried to use the utility but since I have Vista the PE folder is in Program (86) so it doesn´t find it. This problem must be an error in PE8. I have contact Adobe support and they asked me to look at TechNote "Troubleshoot system errors and freezes in Premiere Elements 8" (CPSID_51427). I have studied it without any conflict.
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Arrrrrgh - I am staying away from '8'...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Dont blame you Bobby... and Adobe even denies all these problems... or can not reproduce them!!! :lol:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 pm

It sounds like Adobe is starting to follow the Pinnacle business model. I moved away from Studio because of that. Where else can I go from here?
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Hmmm. There was a move of management from Pinnacle to Adobe - is there something here?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:12 pm

roadsideron wrote:Where else can I go from here?

I've been thinking about Vegas, or going to a Mac and Final Cut :-8 .
Premiere Pro is better than Premiere Elements in general but don't think I will upgrade to CS4.
Magix has a program that is seemingly getting better and better, might be worth looking at.

I'm sure this topic will come up more and more as time goes on. Especially if Adobe doesn't do anything to make their existing Premiere Elements customer base happy. I put in 17 feature requests today, 17 out of the original 20 that I have been requesting over and over again for the past 4 years now.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roadsideron » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:02 pm

I just downloaded Vegas 7.0 because the deshaker plugin works in that and Pro 8.0 and Pro 9.0. I figured out how to get deshaker to remove rolling shutter affects with my Canon HV20. I just don't like the interface of Vegas, and Pro is expensive. If I could find a new copy of Vegas 7 I'd use it just to deshake video. I have several versions of Magix but again, I don't like the interface. I really got used to PE's interface and I can navigate it very well now. It took some getting used to coming from Studio's simplist interface, but now I like it. Other features like chromakey work very well in PE and didn't in Magix. My life would be so much eaiser if Adobe would just fix PE. I also have Premiere Pro 2.0. I just put together an i7 core 860 machine(which means the kids get no shoes for a year. Just kidding. My kids are in their 40's). I going to install all of my editing software on it and see how it goes. I have two copies of PE 7.0 and I can't find where I put them to test this new computer.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:14 am

roadsideron wrote:It sounds like Adobe is starting to follow the Pinnacle business model. I moved away from Studio because of that. Where else can I go from here?

Final Cut Express....?

I'm still bowled over with the reliability and 'friendliness' of FCE. I mentioned some of the great differences in the Mac part of this board a week or so ago but I forgot to mention being able to cut and paste clips, titles etc between projects - so obvious and SO handy. How about having several projects open at the same time - wonderful! Another thing I love is the total absence of anything resembling the "Organizer" - a pointless piece of trivia if, as a human being, you're halfway organized yourself. Perhaps PE11 might get there....
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:45 am

Briantho wrote:...Another thing I love is the total absence of anything resembling the "Organizer" - a pointless piece of trivia if, as a human being, you're halfway organized yourself. Perhaps PE11 might get there....

Amen Brother Brian! The Organizer is useless to me and I am constantly deleting files within it just to keep things clean. Why can't they just provide an option to turn the darned thing off?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Other Products

Postby Bobby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:52 am

I want the software products I use to be there for the long haul. I don't mind learning changes and enhancements on a periodic basis, but I do hate to spend the time to learn something new just because it is different.

My particular issue with video is that I intend to come back to my projects in the future. I see that my earlier work is very crude to what I can do now (with sincere thanks to the Muvipix community :yh: ). But if my old project can't be read or used by the newer version, I can't do this. Ditto if Ihave to migrate to an entirely new program.

But it has recently occurred to me that if and when I do come back to a project it will be because I do want to change the very aspect of that project that is in fact program related. If I do go back and edit one of my earlier projects because the "effect" of the production needs to be updated, that pretty much requires that I go back to square one and re-edit the entire thing.

So maybe just keeping the source files (hopefully they will be compatible) is really all that is necessary. Perhaps. I don't' know. But this rationalization may let me sleep at night. (Written at 4:50AM on another sleepless night...)
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:46 am

It sounds like Adobe is starting to follow the Pinnacle business model. I moved away from Studio because of that. Where else can I go from here?

I have been using MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus since the spring. I think it is a great video editor. It is just as powerful as PRE, and in many cases, especially when it comes to audio, even more powerful.

I like the interface even better than PRE. And it contains lots of fun cool stuff.

It is more stable then PRE, and has much better memory management. It also handles different types of video much better than PRE.

You owe it to yourself to download the free trial version. It is free to try for 30 days. I think the trial version is full featured.

Here is the web site:

http://www.magix.com/us/
I think it would be great if more folks started using this software. I would like to see more coverage on Muvipix
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Magix

Postby Bobby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks JohnnyO. I have been "monitoring" Magix for quite a while, but never seriously looked at their product line. I always considered them more on the consumer end of the market, rather than prosumer which is where I would place PRE. Many of their ads in US PC magazines emphasized simple consumer pre-defined actions, etc.

I did go over and take a look and I am certainly impressed that a private company has been in this business for so long and that they are obviously dedicated to that segment.

I think I may give the trial a try if I can only find some time...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 8