They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My PRE8 Chronic Crashing Work-around

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: My PRE8 Chronic Crashing Work-around

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah, that's what I said. :-8
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby peggig » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 pm

At first, it seeed like it was crashing less often with QuickTime 7.3.1, but now it seems to be crashing just as frequently as with QuickTime 7.6.4. The last time I closed the program, I rendered the entire timeline (by clicking Render on the Timeline menu.) Then I saved. The next time I opened the project, about half of the clips had red bars over them, even though they were all green before I saved. so I clicked Render Timeline again. After a few minutes of rendering, it crashed. No warning, no error messages, the application just suddenly disappeared.

I opened it again and decided to skip rendering the timeline. Then I spent a bunch of time selecting clips and cropping them. I forgot to save after every crop so, of course, it crashed again and I lost my work.

I've spent three and half full days on editing this project now, and I've determined it's pointless to go on. I'm just losing too much work. I suppose, if I uninstall PRE8 and install PRE7, I won't be able to use the project I created in PRE8, so all my work so far on editing this project will have been wasted. I should have given up sooner, but it's better to cut my losses now than waste any more time.

If there were any indication that Adobe were in the process of creating a patch or update that would fix the crashing problem, I'd be tempted to wait for it, but their Web site doesn't even acknowledge there's a problem.

Before I uninstall PRE8 and install PRE7, can anybody tell me if that version has the same kinds of problems, or if it's just PRE8? Would I be better off with another editor? I've always assumed Adobe was the best, because I've been a PhotoShop user for years, but I'm so frustrated with this release, I'm starting to wonder if there are better options out there. I can't believe Adobe even shipped this product.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:18 pm

I've had pretty good results with version 7 but if you are having problems it may not be the software.
The only way to tell is to install some other editing application. You can have version 7 and 8 installed at the same time, it won't hurt anything. You may have problems with version 7 also, you may have problems with Sony Vegas or any other program. It's hard to tell until you start using something else and see what happens.

Problems like this can be caused by bad audio or video drivers, not enough defragmented space on your hard drive, paging files that are too small, lots and lots of things.

Install version 7 and give it a shot. I never recommend starting a big project on a newly installed piece of software.
Pick something small and manageable and use as many of the features as possible with a nice 5 minute project. If that works then you can move up to something bigger :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks, Chuck! So I can install version 7 without uninstalling version 8? Cool. I'll try that. Previously, I used version 3.02. I had occasional problems with it, but nothing like what I'm having now. Of course, I wasn't editing HDV. I was just editing standard definition files.

I defragment my hard disk regularly, so I don't think that's the problem. My video driver is the ATI Radeon 2400 Pro. Are there known issues with any particular video drivers?

I don't really have the option of starting on a small project this time. I upgraded to version 8 because I didn't know if version 3 could handle HDV, and I got a new high definition camcorder specifically for this project. I've shot over 7 hours of tape and now I need to somehow manage to edit it.

Do you know if it's possible to open a project created in PRE8 in PRE7? Will it corrupt the project if I try? Can I use PRE7 with the PRE8 version of Organizer? I've already categorized and tagged all my clips in the Organizer, to make it easier to find what I want to use. It would be convenient if I don't have to do it all over again.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 am

Probably no issue with the ATI card.

You cannot open version 8 projects in version 7 but you can open version 7 projects in version 8. Once you do you cannot open them in version 7 again unless you have saved a copy.

I don't know how you could use the organizer from version 8 with version 7, maybe someone else might have a solution.

Do you have all 7 hours in one project? That would be a good reason for the program to crash.
Work on a small segment at a time, say 30 minutes or so. The largest HDV project I have ever worked on is 1.5 hours and that was because there was no other choice. My machine can handle a lot and it was purchased specifically for editing HDV.

It is very important to do a small project first as a test. Especially in your case where you are having these problems.
Otherwise you could get 20 hours into the project and find out you can't burn a DVD or something else could go wrong.
Take the few hours you need to work on a small project and make sure everything works before getting involved in a huge project like you have.

When you get to the large project be sure to cut it up into mini projects, that will save you lots of trouble.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:34 am

peggig wrote:Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I thought maybe reverting to the older version of QuickTime had solved the crashing problem, and maybe it did for the crashes during rendering or editing. But it still hangs periodically when scrolling through the Edit options. And, of course, when it hangs, it never recovers, and I have to shut it down and restart and lose all the work I've done since the last time I saved.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there any known solution or workaround? This is extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

I have tried to duplicate this but so far no freezes or crashes.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 pm

I don't know how you could use the organizer from version 8 with version 7, maybe someone else might have a solution.

Basically, you can not take all your v8 Organizer info (that resides in an v8 Organizer catalog which has a .pse8db file type) and move it back to v7 PSE Organizer. You can Upgrade an Organizer catalog to a newer version, but you can not go backwards.

Now there is one partial exception - but it may not help for your HD video files. The Organizer does have a "Write Keyword Tag and Properties Info to Photos" that can transfer the Elements (PSE) Tagging info to the media file itself. That makes the Tags assigned to a specific photo file independent of the Elements Organizer and usable by other software (including are earlier version of PS Elements). I have used this command in various versions of PSE for JPEG photos. However, I am skeptical and suspect that it will not work for your HD video files.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Do you have all 7 hours in one project? That would be a good reason for the program to crash.

No, that's actually why I'm using the organizer. I split up the video files with HDVSplit, and then labeled, categorized, and keyworded all the individual clips (about 600) in the Organizer. I've only imported about 15 minutes of clips into the project so far.

Chuck Engels wrote:When you get to the large project be sure to cut it up into mini projects, that will save you lots of trouble.

If you cut it up into mine projects, how do you put them together at the end to get one continuous video? Is there a way to import one project into another?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:54 pm

peggig wrote:If you cut it up into mine projects, how do you put them together at the end to get one continuous video? Is there a way to import one project into another?

You export each one and import all of the pieces into a Master Project that you will create.
Works very well and it is the only way that many of us work on projects.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Do you export them as .AVI files? I think that's the only format that's lossless (or close to it).

Do you know if HDVSplit will work on .AVI files? -- If so, that might solve my problem of getting all the work I've done so far in PRE8 into a PRE7 project.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Are you working with a HDV project or is it standard definition?
If the project is HDV then you would probably export as High Def MPEG.
You could export as AVI but will probably need to change the export dimensions to HDV, not sure if that would be 1440 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080.

If you are working with Standard definition then there is a tool called WinDV that is much like HDVSplit only for SD video.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Are you working with a HDV project or is it standard definition?

I'm working in HDV.

Chuck Engels wrote:If the project is HDV then you would probably export as High Def MPEG.

Isn't MPEG lossy? I did a test export in both MPEG and AVI, and the AVI file was 5.4 times larger than the MPEG.

Chuck Engels wrote:You could export as AVI but will probably need to change the export dimensions to HDV, not sure if that would be 1440 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080.

HDV is 1440x1080. (AVCHD is 1920x1080.) However, I just tried HDVSplit on the AVI file, and it didn't work. I think it only works on MPEGs.
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If you are working with Standard definition then there is a tool called WinDV that is much like HDVSplit only for SD video.

HDVSplit will only work with HDV format with is High Def MPEG.

One export of a HDV MPEG file will not hurt anything, works great for Blu Ray.
I export these from Premiere Pro for use in Encore all the time and the quality is still excellent.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby peggig » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Which preset should I use to retain the highest quality? The relevant options seem to be

NTSC DVD Widescreeen
    H.264 1440x1080i 30
    MPEG2 1440x1080i 30
    MPEG2 multimedia compatible
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Option #3, MPEG 1440 x 1080i 30
You can start there and see how it looks, should be fine.
It will probably take awhile, maybe two - three times the length of the project.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 8