They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PrElv8 and PSEv8 Reviews

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: PrElv8 and PSEv8 Reviews

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:32 am

There's also a demo here; click on the link in the first post.:-

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6288
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:56 pm

There's also one here: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/explore/. Select the "video editing" tab and view the first guided tour video under What's new.
Bob

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Well, there's a demo of it right at the top of the Adobe products page. ;)
http://www.adobe.com/products/premieree ... iew=topnew

That's a big D'oh! Steve! Thanks.

Gee, it's easy to get lazy and stoopid on the Net, eh? :oops:
Kurt
New User
New User

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Bob wrote:There's also one here: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/explore/. Select the "video editing" tab and view the first guided tour video under What's new.

Okay, Bob, so the "motion tracking" in 8 is basically adding an element that will follow a moving part of the scene.

It makes me wonder, if you have a panning shot of, say, a landscape, then the whole landscape is your "moving element" in relation to the frame. In that case, if you introduce another element, such as a jpg of a building, and apply that new feature, would you be able to make that building "follow" the movement of the landscape, in other words, staying attached in place at the point where you placed it, while the landscape (actually the camera),"moved" across the screen?

If so, that would be a great way to add something to a scene and have it look like it's part of the landscape no matter how much the camera moves around.

Am I right?
Kurt.
Kurt
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 pm

I do that in After Effects and it works great, but the motion tracking there is far superior to Premiere Elements -- especially with After Effects CS4 which bundles Mocha. I don't have Premiere Elements 8, so I don't know how well that will work.

According to the help file, Premiere Elements 8 can do a manual or an automated tracking. Automated tracking analyses the clip and detects objects that are moving and displays the yellow bounding box for you to attach your object to. In manual tracking, you place the yellow bounding box on an object and size the box and it will track the motion of that object. If you place the tracking box on a still feature, it should track the position as it moves in the frame and what you attach to it should follow the motion. So to that extent, it looks like what you are asking may work. However, Premiere Elements 8 only uses a single trackpoint so you can account for horizontal and vertical motion, but not for rotation. The other thing that would need to be explored is what does it consider "clip art". The help file only talks about attaching clip art to the tracked object. Not having the product, I don't know how you add clip art and whether it can be an arbitrary raster object (i.e. a photo). I assume you couldn't attach a video clip. Those would be a good questions for someone that has the product to try out. Steve? Anyone...?
Bob

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:56 am

Yeah, I've seen demos that use that AE feature, in Video Copilot. To me, that's the Holy Grail of effects.

Maybe I should just go ahead and download the trial and check out that feature.

Thanks, Bob.
Kurt
New User
New User

Postby Paul LS » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:49 am

You can attach anything Bob, one of the clips arts or a photo, a video clip, title...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:59 am

Thanks, Paul!
Bob

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Well, I checked it out. I selected a panning shot, and then clicked on the "Tracking" icon, (the three yellow balls). The app analysed the shot, and when it finished, applied a yellow border around the whole frame. Obviously, the analysis was looking for some element in the frame that moved in relation to the edges of the frame. Since everything inside the frame was in fact so moving, it probably applied a yellow border around the whole frame...again. This second border, (if it in fact had been applied) would be invisible since it was in the same place as the original edge border.

So, the upshot is that there was no yellow-bordered-moving-element in the shot to track, or to glue another image to.

Pity. Would have made the upgrade worth buying. Makes me ask the same question I always ask myself....why is After Effects so expensive?! Sniff! [inconsolable sobbing icon.]
Kurt
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Kurt,

Try using manual tracking instead of analysed tracking. See this help entry page for details: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/WS2fa0b309bba5bdb1189225de12303a06a78-8000.html
Bob

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks for the link, Bob. But Tony Romano over at the Premiere 7 forum did a test and it worked, and he posted a short tutorial there.

So, I'll see how I go. :)

Cheers,
Kurt.
Kurt
New User
New User

Previous

Return to PRE Version 8