They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Still "Background Rendering" - After 30+ minutes?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Still "Background Rendering" - After 30+ minutes?

Postby cknittle » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:21 am

I loaded 96 short (1-6 seconds) .mpg clips into a PE8 project. After 30 minutes it is still "background rendering". I noticed on the timeline that the clips that have been "background rendered" have a green line above them, while the clips awaiting background rendering have a red line. It is only about 1/3 of the way through 96 short .mpg clips after 30 minutes.

Anyone know what this "background rendering" is?

BTW... I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM running WinXP. I don't think this would be classified as a slow puter.

Curtis
cknittle

Re: Still "Background Rendering" - After 30+ minutes?

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi Curtis. No your PC isn't slow and should be just fine for video editing.

Rendering time depends on what you are rendering from, and to. What was the project preset you used to start the project, and where did the files come from?

But even so, that sounds like a long time...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Bobby, this is a new process in version 8, "Background Rendering", not the same as rendering the timeline.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Oops - Thanks Chuck - misunderstood...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:38 pm

Background rendering takes place when you are inactive on your computer. So if you are editing the background rendering will stop... when you pause or take a break the background rendering will kick in. Note this can be disabled if you so wish.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Paul is right. And it is indeed rendering of your timeline -- it just happens now automatically rather than you're having to do it manually.

But in my experience, it's a real power hog. Maybe there are some very fast computers that can keep it running quietly in the background -- but I've had to turn mine off.

To do so, you just go to Edit/Preferences and uncheck the Background Rendering option.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:16 pm

cknittle wrote:....I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM running WinXP. I don't think this would be classified as a slow puter.Curtis

I have the same hardware.

Based on the slowness that you describe, it seems you are rendering HD clips. SD clips render very quickly, so quickly that one can actually watch the green line progress quicly to the right.

HD clips and stills, however, render VERY slowly--and that is why I do not bother to render them. Instead, I output to a SD DVD folder in only a few mintues and then play that folder back (with Windows Media Viewer) to check that my project is flawless.

What I do next depends on what I wish to do with the project. If all I want is to be able to watch a SD movie with Windows Media Player on my PC, then I am done.

If I need a SD DVD, I burn it from the SD Folder--in a minute or two.

If I need a) a HD movie that I can watch on my PC or b) a Blu-ray DVD or c) both, then I re-output the project from PRE7 as HD MPEG2. The latter file can be used for a) b) or c).

P.S. The SD DVDs that I get with this method are very satisfactory, however, other members state that their best SD DVDs are obtaind by shooting with a HD Camcorder then "downconverting" from their camcorders to a SD (AVI) project Timeline.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cknittle » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for all the help folks...

The clips were SD clips from a Canon HV20 - football plays, so each was about 2-6 seconds, 96 of them. No funkiness here, just Added Media->PC File-> and grabbed all 96 at once. Then, once they were all imported I dragged all 96 to the timeline.

If "background rendering" can be disabled, what good does it provide? Would it have to complete rendering before "sharing" to AVI?

Curtis
cknittle

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:59 pm

If you're using SD clips downsampled from an HV20 c, there should be no rendering at all! That is if you are using the standard DV project setting.

The test is to place the clips on your timeline. If you are using the right preset for your video, there should be neither a red nor green line above the clips on the timeline. If there is, you're using the wrong project setting -- and this will trigger Premiere Elements to start its auto rendering.

If that is not the case, you may actually be seeing the program generate peak audio files, which looks similar to rendering. With the process, the program creates a jaggy sound wave based on the audio for your clips. If you've got 97 clips, that can take a while.

But if the program is calling it Auto Rendering, you may be able to fix it by matching the video file format with the right project setting.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cknittle » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:16 pm

Video captured by an HV20 in SD mode comes across firewire as .avi files. Even these files were background rendered.
cknittle

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Did you capture with Premiere Elements or WinDV? If so there is no way there should be any rendering going on.
Was there a red or green line over the clips on the timeline? There should have been no line at all when first imported and placed on the timeline.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Did you capture with Premiere Elements or WinDV? If so there is no way there should be any rendering going on.
Was there a red or green line over the clips on the timeline? There should have been no line at all when first imported and placed on the timeline.

Chuck, if one captures his HV30 HDV video with HDVSplit and then imports into PRE7 with a 1440x1080 Project Preset, should there be any rendering?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cknittle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:32 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Did you capture with Premiere Elements or WinDV? If so there is no way there should be any rendering going on.

Yes, captured with PE8. Standard def, simple .avi files. Sorry, didn't notice whether there was a red or green line above the clips. I did catch glimpses of the "creating peak file..." for each clip as it was captured, just like in PE4. That occurred so quickly you wouldn't know what it said unless you were looking for it.

When I finished editing I shared to AVI (DV NTSC...) and the first thing it told me was "Background rendering" and then gave me a completion time of roughly an hour for something that would have taken 10 minutes in PE4. Fortunately, that time dropped to roughly 12-14 minutes before I could say my hundred profanity, angry with myself for spending $100 on this stuff.

I don't know... not impressed. The different speeds of fast forward don't work nearly as well as it does in PE4, even the 2x speed is choppy, but that's another topic.

Curtis
cknittle

Postby cknittle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:05 am

More info...

I captured a few clips that were still on my miniDV tape using PE8. We'll call this "set 1".
Then I imported an AVI file that was *previously* a File->Export->Movie from PE4. "set 2".
Thirdly, I imported a .mpg file. "set 3".

Clips from sets 1 and 3 had red line above them. Clip in set 2 had no colored line above it.

Then, I re-enabled "background rendering". Sets 1 & 3 went through background rendering, red line changed to green. Set 2 continued with no colored line.

I looked at Edit->Project Settings->Video Rendering. In the Previews box it says "Microsoft AVI DV NTSC". It won't let me change this.
cknittle

Postby cknittle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:08 am

cknittle wrote:More info...

I captured a few clips that were still on my miniDV tape using PE8. We'll call this "set 1".
Then I imported an AVI file that was *previously* a File->Export->Movie from PE4. "set 2".
Thirdly, I imported a .mpg file. "set 3".

Clips from sets 1 and 3 had red line above them. Clip in set 2 had no colored line above it.

Then, I re-enabled "background rendering". Sets 1 & 3 went through background rendering, red line changed to green. Set 2 continued with no colored line.

I looked at Edit->Project Settings->Video Rendering. In the Previews box it says "Microsoft AVI DV NTSC". It won't let me change this.

As a point of reference, in PE4, Edit->Project Settings->Video Rendering, has only "DV NTSC". I
cknittle

Next

Return to PRE Version 8