They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"Upgrading" to PRE and PSE8--NOT!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

"Upgrading" to PRE and PSE8--NOT!

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 pm

After creating a mirror image of my C Drive, I downloaded the Trial Versions of PSE and PRE8.

A frustrating aspect of the various versions of the Elements software is that, when coming out with a newer version, Adobe may take away some desirable features of a previous version.

For example, PSE5 and later versions added the ability to make gorgeous DVD Jackets but took away the ability of PSE4 to create beautiful Calendar Pages.

A major improvement with PSE7 was that, once one had created one’s catalog, it was a simple matter to open it, namely, double-click on the file <catalog.pse7db> on whatever HDD one used to store one’s catalog. Even more important, if one created a backup of this HDD and it subsequently crashed, all one needed to do to restore the catalog was to double-click on that same file on the backup HDD.

Now comes PSE8 with a host of wonderful features, including: a powerful “management hub” (Organizer) that is shared by PSE8 and PRE8; a Photomerge Exposure function, that allows one to combine images with differing exposures into a single well-exposed image; a recompose feature that, without distortion, allows one to transform, say, a landscape photo into a portrait photo; fresh artwork and templates; plus a number of other features.

Alas, PSE8 also has a significant downside which is that the “major improvement with PSE7” that I described above has been taken away. Double-clicking on the file <catalog.pse8db> does not open one’s catalog; therefore, to create a backup of this file on another HDD no longer accomplishes the goal of being able to restore one’s catalog quickly in the event of a mortal injury to the original HDD.

I will not be upgrading to PRE and PSE8. Instead, I’ve restored my C Drive to its previous state, with which PRE and PSE7 are working perfectly

:pull:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: "Upgrading" to PRE and PSE8--NOT!

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:31 pm

What did happen when you double clicked on the catalog, George? Maybe it's just a case of needing to set a file association. I'd have tried an "open with" and see if the Organizer exe would open it. I assume there is still a way to open a different catalog in the program, did you try using that to get to the catalog on another drive?

Anyone else try any of these things?
Bob

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:20 am

"A major improvement with PSE7 was that, once one had created one’s catalog, it was a simple matter to open it, namely, double-click on the file <catalog.pse7db> on whatever HDD one used to store one’s catalog. Even more important, if one created a backup of this HDD and it subsequently crashed, all one needed to do to restore the catalog was to double-click on that same file on the backup HDD."

FYI -- I don't think PSE 7 was the first release where that was possible because I think I had done it in either PSE 4 or 5 - but that is not the main point of this discussion.

I think that for the Organizer in Elements 8 ,
you may need to do an Open With on the Folder which contains the catalog.pse8db file instead of starting with the file itself.

However, I have not done much experimenting with this to know if everything is OK thereafter.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:36 am

Bob wrote:What did happen when you double clicked on the catalog, George?

Bob and BarbO, what happens if one uses the Open With choice is that one is taken to a list of programs to try, however, the PSE Organizer is not on the list. Only the PSE8 Editor is on the list and, of course, this does not work.

PSE 4 had the same deficiency, but the workaround was to realize that PSE4 would look for the catalog by the drive letter of the HDD on which the catalog had been saved. Knowing this, all one had to do was to change the drive letter of the backup drive to whatever letter had been used by the crashed drive, and one was back in business immediately. Beginning with PSE5, Adobe began using the serial number of the HDD, so this workaround was no longer available--and that is why I was "tickled pink" by the introduction of PSE7.

I've got 25,000 images and clips that have been tagged and placed iinto Albums and the thought of losing the Organizer catalolg--which I view as "the heart" of all my work--due to the failure of a HDD TERRIFIES me.

PRE/PSE8 has some features that I like a lot, so I 'm really "bummed" by the fact that I won't be able to use it.*

_____
*Keeping both PSE7 and PSE8 installed is not an option for me. The reason is that when opening the PSE Organizer from within Media Center--which I need to do in order to play my saved MPEG2 files--the MCE software only "sees" the latest version of PSE, even if the PSE8 catalog were empty and the PSE7 loaded.

:pull:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 am

Bob wrote: I assume there is still a way to open a different catalog in the program, did you try using that to get to the catalog on another drive?

Yes, Bob, I did find a way to create with PSE 8 a backup of my current catalog on a different drive. This method, however, is very cumbersome in comparison with the ease with which the task--including frequent updates--is accomplished with PSE7. So after giving the issue much thought, I've decided that the "new stuff" that the PRE/PSE8 bundle offers isn't sufficient to offset the extra hassle that it would take to keep my catalog up to date.*
_____
*And, as you know, there are other issues with regard to the Organizer when moving from one version of PSE to another.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:21 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
Bob wrote:What did happen when you double clicked on the catalog, George?

Bob and BarbO, what happens if one uses the Open With choice is that one is taken to a list of programs to try, however, the PSE Organizer is not on the list. Only the PSE8 Editor is on the list and, of course, this does not work.

PRE/PSE8 has some features that I like a lot, so I 'm really "bummed" by the fact that I won't be able to use it.*

It was late last night when I was experimenting, so maybe I am omitting a detail in my description. I can do more experimenting but it will probably not be today.

I suspect that the key difference is that I raised my "level of reference" to the folder which contains the pse8db file for doing the Open With. (it is the name of the folder which actually identifies the name of the catalog so maybe that is a factor). I also was not successful when referencing the .pse8db file itself.

I did see the Organizer as a choice when I used the Open With at the level of the folder containing the pse8db file and that is why I posted my suggestion. After I used the Open With for the Elements Organizer, I also checked under the System Info option of the Organizer v8 Help Menu that it showed the new location (that from the Open With) as the location of the catalog. I am running on Vista Home Premium and this catalog's original location was the default location for Catalogs Accessible by All Users.

George,
Since you have an interest in the new functions of v8, I recommend that you make your evaluation based on those features. Don't immediately conclude that you can't solve the problem of having a quick method for making a backup copy of your Elements catalog active after a hard drive crash. (Even if that quick method is copying a folder rather than clicking on one file: since you can find the relevant pse8db file you can identify which folder you need to copy.)

FYI - for the benefit of anyone else reading this discussion,
I think that it will depend how you manage your backups whether you would want to use an Open With to activate this backup copy of the catalog folder or whether you would want to copy this backup folder to the original location for that catalog . My concern is that you could be setting the catalog to be on a backup drive: many people reuse backup drives for future backups which overwrite older now obsolete backups: in that case you do not want to run with the active catalog on a backup drive..
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:34 pm

This post was not visible to me when I checked this morning and wrote my response. Now that I have seen it, I decided to respond in a separate post.

George Tyndall wrote:
Bob wrote: I assume there is still a way to open a different catalog in the program, did you try using that to get to the catalog on another drive?

Yes, Bob, I did find a way to create with PSE 8 a backup of my current catalog on a different drive. This method, however, is very cumbersome in comparison with the ease with which the task--including frequent updates--is accomplished with PSE7. So after giving the issue much thought, I've decided that the "new stuff" that the PRE/PSE8 bundle offers isn't sufficient to offset the extra hassle that it would take to keep my catalog up to date.*
_____
*And, as you know, there are other issues with regard to the Organizer when moving from one version of PSE to another.

George, please share what you concluded: it may help someone else.

FYI - a factual correction for the benefit of anyone reading this thread and running PSE v5
Beginning with PSE5, Adobe began using the serial number of the HDD

It is in version 6 that Adobe changed to using serial number of the HDD.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Barb O wrote:George, please share what you concluded: it may help someone else.

I'm not sure what you mean, BarbO
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I did find a way to create with PSE 8 a backup of my current catalog on a different drive. This method, however, is very cumbersome in comparison with the ease with which the task--including frequent updates--is accomplished with PSE7.

In that statement - you say that you found a way to accomplish your backup objective in PSE 8. So it seemed that you rejected it for inconvenience on your system with many, many files, but that you considered it to be a valid method. Therefore I was suggesting that you post your specific observations and conclusions because they might be helpful to other people.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Barb O wrote:Therefore I was suggesting that you post your specific observations and conclusions because they might be helpful to other people.

BarbO, my situation is that I need to be able to work efficiently and expeditiously.

When I saw Steve’s comment that PRE8 will allow one to apply effects and transitions to more than one clip and/or slide on the Timeline, the comment caught my attention. My thinking was that, if there is no downside whatever to moving to PRE/PSE 8 but only an upside, I would consider it–despite the fact that the ability to add a Pan and Zoom Effect (the only Effect I use repeatedly), plus the same transition to a number of slides, already exists–in PSE.

The inability to open PSE8 by clicking on the catalog file is only one of the reasons that I decided to stay with PRE/PSE7.

The bottom line is that, for my purposes, there simply isn’t enough additional capability in the PRE/PSE8 bundle to make me want to make the transition (no pun intended).
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Sorry if I was not clear. Because the sentence asking that you share your conclusions was contained within a paragraph about accdomplishing your backup objective, my intent is to

ask you to describe how you determined you would create a backup copy of the Elements 8 catalog on a different drive and then use that catalog when necessary (like a hard drive crash).

Yes, I am making this request despite the fact that you have said you thought the process in v8 too cumbersome. There people (like yourself) who choose not to use the Adobe Elements backup and restore commands or there are times when the Adobe restore process does not work for whatever reason. So I think it is beneficial for others in the community to know what you have determined will work in version 8.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:38 am

Barb O wrote:So I think it is beneficial for others in the community to know what you have determined will work in version 8.

Sure, BarbO. I'll describe the method in a new post in the PRE8 forum ASAP.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:57 pm

George,

I've just installed the trial of PSE8 onto a trial windows 7 platform. There is a specific program called (something like) "photoshop elements organiser" inside the photoshop directory. You can run the .pse8db using this file (I chose "open with" and browsed to it's location since it does not appear in the list). Now - I don't know how this works on an external drive - but it may allow you to continue your previous method of working.

Chris.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks for that, Chris.

If ever I come to the conclusion that Version 8 offers something that I "can't live without"--and if BarbO's research proves positive--then I may make the transition to 8.

Muvipix forever!

:-5
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Tomsde » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 am

I'm a little concerned about PE 8's product activation. Although I don't have the need to install it on more than two computers I did have a problem with Photoshop CS3. I had a hard drive failure and had to reinstall Windows and was not able to deactivate Photoshop from the old drive. When I tried to reinstall it said that I had too many activations. I ended up upgrading to CS 4. At any rate I wish that Adobe had a way to deactive copies of the software or reset activations online, so that if your computer does croak one does not have to jump through hoops in order to get a reactivation. I've experienced similar annoyances with Microsoft.

Although I understand why Adobe would require activation for it's commercial products; I'd always liked the fact that their consumer products did not require it. A family with kids could legitimately want to have the program on more than 2 pcs, it would be a drag if they had to buy a license for each person.
Custom System: i7 2.67 ghtz processor, 4 gigabytes ram, n'vdea 9800 series graphics card with 1 gig ram, 1 terabyte HD, 1 500 GB hard drive running 32 Bit Vista Home Premium Edition.
Tomsde
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE Version 8