They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"Upgrading" to PRE and PSE8--NOT!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Re: "Upgrading" to PRE and PSE8--NOT!

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:17 am

No problem there, Tom. Adobe allows you to install and activate the program on two of your computers for just that reason.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jag32266 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06 am

HI,

While understanding the topics being covered in here I just wanted to add another possible solution. This might help some further down the road if you know another way to deal with WinXP and making it bend your way.

I thought it might be something good to know that's all, tho I can see that it may not apply directly to the issue at hand,..

two Windows solution topics, too much to post so I'll just add the links and a brief description;

This article describes how to use the Send To command and how to modify the contents of the SendTo folder.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270

and this one-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859 -
When you double-click a file to open it, Windows XP examines the file name extension. If Windows XP recognizes the file name extension, it opens the file in the program that is associated with that file name extension.
However, you can change the program that is associated with recognized file name extensions so that Windows XP opens all files that have this extension in the new associated program. This article describes how to change these file associations.
This article also describes how to associate a file name extension that Windows XP does not recognize with a specific program. When Windows XP does not recognize a file name extension, you receive the following message:
Windows cannot open this file: etc etc etc

Just trying to help
jag32266 :dr:
Jay

XP SP2, XFX 650i Ultra NVIDA ATX, Pent D 925 3.0GHz,800MHz FSB, DuCore,Presler, LITE-ON DVDRW, 3Gb PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory, XFX GeForce 8400 GS PCIe, MAX. Eide 200GB,Seagate HD SATA 320GB x 2, Vantec NST-D100SU NexStar HD Dock - SATA to eSATA
jag32266

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:00 am

Good information, thanks Jay :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:42 pm

I'd feel handicapped if I couldn't add destinations to the "Send To" folder. In Windows Vista, you'll need to manually open the folder to add the shortcuts. It's located here: C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo Where "name" is your login id.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:47 am

George Tyndall wrote:Alas, PSE8 also has a significant downside which is that the “major improvement with PSE7” that I described above has been taken away. Double-clicking on the file <catalog.pse8db> does not open one’s catalog; therefore, to create a backup of this file on another HDD no longer accomplishes the goal of being able to restore one’s catalog quickly in the event of a mortal injury to the original HDD.

I've just discoverd the apparent reason for this. According to Jan Kabili in her superb HD course on PRE/PSE7 on lynda.com, Adobe wants to force users to access the programs via the Welcome screen each and every time they wish to use them. The reason is that Adobe wishes to encourage users to make use of the advantages of having a Photoshop.com account.

Adobe wants you to sign in each and every time you launch Elements so that you can take advantages of [the Photoshop.com] features.

As I stated previously, this does not work for me. The reason is that I have multiple catalogs on various HDDs, and I don''t want to be forced by the software to open the last catalog that I had open before I am allowed to view the catalog that I actually wish to open.

I do realize that it is possible to install both 7 and 8 on my system and then use the 8 Editor (but not the Organizer) to take advantage of the new tools that it offers, but the problem with that, as I stated previously, is that, if I wish to open my Organizer from within Media Cener, it always wants to open the catalog in the most recent edition of Elements that I've installed, even if that catalog contains no images. I'm anxious to see how Elements 9 handles this issue. My guess is that it, too, will force one to open the program via the Welcome screen.

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to PRE Version 8