They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio Effects

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Audio Effects

Postby Walter Seaton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 8, Version 8.0 (M178 - 9/8/2009)[R]. I also have Steve's book "Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 8 dated on the last page as 5 January 2010.

Because I rarely work with lipync I lay (and adjust) my audio track separately using Goldwave and then copy it to my PRE8 project. For the first time I have a lipsync situation from which I want to remove some background noise and do other adjustments to the audio track.

I have been using Steve's book a lot and have found it so far very useful but now have come up with a blank.
Pages 309 and 310 show illustrations which I can not reproduce. For example, when I compare my screen with the page 309 illustration, my screen does not have a freeze-frame from the selected clip (and I did have one selected) in the top left corner, the button for "Apply" is greyed out and when I drag an effect onto the clip my mouse pointer turns into a red circle with a line through it and it is not applied. I can not get the illustration on page 310 at all. Left click and double click on an effect produces nothing and right click produces a drop-down menu with the only options Add to Favorites; New Presets Folder; Thumbnail View and List View.

Your guidance on how I can get this to work will be much appreciated.
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Audio Effects

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm not sure what's going at your end, Walter. And it has been a while since I've had a good look at version 8. (BTW, you DO have the 8.01 update, right?)

But, if you select a clip on your timeline that includes video (ie, not an audio only clip) you should see the thumbnail on the effects panel. And, if you have an audio clip or a clip that includes audio selected on your timeline, you should be able to drag an audio effect onto it to apply it.

Maybe there's someone out there who is still using version 8 that can offer more insight.

Meantime, be sure to tell us what operating system you're using, what model of camcorder you're using and what file format your audio files are (better yet, ONLY use WAV files for your audio). In fact, if you go to your User Control Panel, you can put all this information in your signature, as I and many others on this forum do. That way, when you have a question, we can easily refer to it without your having to constantly repeat it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Walter Seaton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Thank you, Steve. Yes, I have 8.01 installed. Unfortunately the other solutions offered did not address my problem. Has the time come for me to update to 12? (You would then sell another book!!) I can get a sealed box version of 12 from Amazon for less than the Adobe asking price for the update. If I buy the boxed version, would it be advisable to uninstall my 8 first or could I just install 12 over the top of 8?

Many thanks again.
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:59 pm

You can leave your version 8 installed and V12 will install separately. You can use one or the other, just be careful to store your projects in such a way as to know which version they were created in. It's not good practice to try to open an earlier version project with a later version program. The results can be unpredictable and may damage the project file irreparably. If you must try, open a copy and save the original.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Walter Seaton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks for this, Dave and your prompt response. Should I expect the same problems of which you have warned me if I were to install from the "box" if instead I buy and install the upgrade from Adobe? I have a problem with the sound track on my current project; all my previous work is OK and I would just have to hope that v12 will accept my current project and help me get around my audio problem.

Therefore, would you suggest I buy the upgrade from Adobe, which I assume would leave me with just v12 on my system, or should I buy the the boxed v12 and treat it as a different application (leaving v8 on my system), so if needed open all work I had done in v8 in v8 and do all new work in v12 as a separate but parallel application. However, if I did that, how would Organizer handle the two parallel applications?

Many thanks.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 pm

You'll get the same product no matter which you purchase. The upgrade just gives you special pricing because you already have purchased a previous version:

Upgrade product installation:
When you install your upgrade, the installer will attempt to detect a previous version of the product on the same computer. You may still need to enter the serial number for the previous product. If a previous product is not detected, you will be prompted to manually enter the previous product serial number during the upgrade.

See also this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere- ... 3.edu.html

The install won't overwrite your V8. Whether you uninstall V8 is strictly up to you. But my experience says that if you're planning to purchase V12 only because you hope it will solve problems with a V8 project, you'll likely be disappointed. I'd be very surprised if you can even open a V8 project successfully in V12.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Walter Seaton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Very many thanks - this clarifies it for me completely.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8