They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

wide screen photos in video

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

wide screen photos in video

Postby RJ ROB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 pm

when I produce a video using photos taken on a SONY dsc hx100 in the wide screen mode and play them back on the TV they do not fill the whole screen, also when I insert these photos in video from a JVC camcorder, when playing back, if I set the TV on widescreen mode the photos are slightly distorted, but if I play back in normal mode, the photos are ok but the video is distorted.
can you help??
Rob
RJ ROB
New User
New User

Re: wide screen photos in video

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 am

Welcome to Muvipix, RJ

Could you give us a little more information.

It looks like the SONY dsc hx100 can be set to record stills in 4:3 aspect ratio and 19:9 aspect ratio. Which setting were your still shots taken with?

When you say they don't fill the whole tv screen are you playing them back from the camera or from a video produced in Premiere Elements? Is your TV an HDTV that can display in 16:9 widescreen and 4:3 standard aspect ratios? Are the black bars on the left and right sides or the top and bottom?

Is the JVC camcorder a standard definition one that can record in 720x480 widescreen (16:9) or standard (4:3)? Which one is the video?

Finally, what project preset did you use to create the video containing the stills and video? Did you create a dvd to play on the tv or something else (if so, what)?
Bob

Postby RJ ROB » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:36 pm

thanks for your quick response.
In answer to your questions (a) the aspect ratio settings the shots were taken is 16:9
(b) It is when playing from a video produced in Premier Elements 8, the TV is an HDTV that can display in 16:9 and standard 4:3 and the bars on top and bottom.
(c) The camcorder in a standard Definition one that can record in widescreen(16:9) and Standard , I record in widescreen.
(d) I used Widescreen 48kHz, (pal_widescreen) creating a DVD for TV.
I am new to all of this and appreciate you help.
RJ ROB
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:03 am

Just to confirm, when you burned your widescreen project, you did have widescreen selected in the SHARE DVD settings. Correct?

Please check your DVD player setup. There should be a screen setup section where you can select the screen aspect ratio for the tv that is to be connected to the player. Many DVD players default to 4:3 letterbox. It should be set to 16:9 for an hdtv. Commercial DVDs can override this setting and play widescreen normally. But, if set to 4:3 letterbox, you can get something very much like what you describe with your home burned DVDs. I don't know whether this is what is happening in your case. But, it's worth checking.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 8