They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

multiple copies of a burned PE8 project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

multiple copies of a burned PE8 project

Postby Berger100 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:05 pm

HI
I'm a newbie. Just made a great dvd for my kids swim team season with some video, pics, and music. Basically a nice slide show.

I want to make multiple copies and give them to a bunch of folks. I do not want to burn 20 copies on my computer for fear of overheating or wearing out my burner. (if thats possible to break it, I dont know and dont want to find out )

I went to my local Walgreens. They only burn pics to a disc and mine has video. Plus my slide show wont work on their format anyway i guess.

My question is, does anyone know how to make copies cheaply?
My friend offered to use her burner but said she could not copy the dvd. My second question is, can somebody at home not use their burner to copy a PE8 dvd. DO you need PE8 to copy a PE8 burned project? Why wouldnt it copy on her home computer ?

I hope I explained this clearly.

Berger
Berger100
New User
New User

Re: multiple copies of a burned PE8 project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 pm

You won't burn out your DVD burner (particularly since you don't actually burn anything -- it's just a laser causing a chemical reaction). It takes years to wear out a DVD burner -- and most likely you'll have replaced the rest of your computer by then. But, even if you do need to replace it, doing so will cost about as much as you'll spend paying a service to duplicate your discs for you!

The smartest thing is to select the option to output your DVD files to a Folder rather than burn directly to a disc. This will save your finalized DVD files to your computer's hard drive.

Then you just use your computer's burner software (or, better, the wonderful free software ImgBurn) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder that Premiere Elements creates to playable discs as needed.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Welcome Berger! :wcm:

What Steve said. I've burned hundreds and hundreds of discs and haven't worn a burner out yet. But if you do they're really inexpensive and easy to replace. Go for it. Relax and enjoy!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm

can somebody at home not use their burner to copy a PE8 dvd. DO you need PE8 to copy a PE8 burned project?

They can as long as they have a DVD burner and not just a DVD reader, and they have the software to do it. You don't need to reburn the PE8 project.

PE8 doesn't contain a DVD copy feature. If you don't have a DVD copy utility already, you can install the free ImgBurn utility http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download. During the install, be sure to uncheck the box for the toolbar if you don't want it. If you use ImgBurn, the first step is to create an image copy of the existing dvd on your hard drive. The second step is to use ImgBurn to create a new DVD from the image file you just created -- you can specify the number of copies you want.
Bob

Postby Berger100 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:18 pm

So are you saying that saving to a file and burning the dvd is different than burning the final project directly to the dvd?

Does that mean my friend will be able to copy the dvd if I burn it from a folder rather than from my share menu?

Thanks for the great feedback and so quickly!

B
Berger100
New User
New User

Postby Berger100 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm

Oh, and 1 more question.
I guess I choose the computer option to burn to a file right? Will I be able to make it the same high quality as directly burning to a dvd?

I slide the thing all the way to the right for highest quality when burning a dvd on the share menu for best results.

thanks again.

B
Berger100
New User
New User

Postby Berger100 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Since my project is complete when I log back on and open it up, the rendering line is red. Do I have to re-render the whole thing before I burn it again?

I have had good results not doing it............but will i have even better?

B
Berger100
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01 am

So are you saying that saving to a file and burning the dvd is different than burning the final project directly to the dvd?

Yes. You are writing a DVD VIDEO_TS file to your hard drive so that all you have to do is use ImgBurn (or similar) to write that file to the DVD. If you look here:-

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=c7 ... howforum=4

you will find lots of ImgBurn 'How to' guides. Many of us here at Muvipix use ImgBurn.

Does that mean my friend will be able to copy the dvd if I burn it from a folder rather than from my share menu?

Yes. It will be easy to copy that DVD.

I guess I choose the computer option to burn to a file right? Will I be able to make it the same high quality as directly burning to a dvd?

The quality will be identical.

Sorry I am not a PrEl user so I'll leave the rendereing issue to someone else. Oh, and by the way, welcome :wcm: to Muvipix.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 am

Berger100 wrote:Since my project is complete when I log back on and open it up, the rendering line is red. Do I have to re-render the whole thing before I burn it again?

No.

I have had good results not doing it............but will i have even better?

No.

:meet:
Peru

Postby Berger100 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:25 am

When I saved my project in a folder on my desktop instead of directly burning to a dvd, I had many more options to choose as far as quality.

Unfortunatey my test disk that I burned would only play on my blue ray player and not on my regular dvd player.

Queston: what do i choose for highest quality that will play on anyplayer? There's regular standard, theres H.264, theres something like 1080i x 760 and other choices that I am sure you experts are aware of. Is there a high quality setting that will play on blue ray if someone has that but alway look great and play on a regualr dvd player.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

Berger
Berger100
New User
New User

Postby Berger100 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 am

oops typo,

I meant play on blue ray and also play on regular dvd and look great.

thanks
Berger100
New User
New User

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 pm

You are kind of limited there. If you want a disk that can play on both Blu-Ray and a Standard DVD, then you must burn a Standard DVD. A Blu-Ray can read a std. dvd, but a std. dvd player can not read a blu-ray disk. So I think what you are doing is probably as good as it gets, as long as you are using a standard DVD.

When a blu-ray player reads a std dvd disk it will typically try and "upsample" the dvd to make it kind of look like a blu-ray disk. Some of the players do a pretty good job of upsampling, others do not. If you want the maximum perfromance from a blu-ray player, then you need to create a blu-ray disk. There are some work arounds that will allow you to put 10 - 15 minutes of video on a regular DVD in a format that the blu-ray can read, but I won't confuse the issue with that discussion. Blu-ray burners are getting cheaper everyday and though media costs are high, they are also beginning to come down. I personally am waiting until I switch over to a high definition television before getting a blu-ray player, though I did purchase a Canon HV-30 camcorder a few years ago to capture everything in hi-def for use later.

Hope that helps,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Berger100 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I will burn it in standard. Is the only standard choiced on the PE8 burn menu NTSC standard and NTSC widescreen?

So are all the other options on the menu blu ray? (h.264, mpeg2, etc)

B
Berger100
New User
New User

Postby Berger100 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:50 pm

I burned it in standard NTSC and made a dvd. I am not happy with the photo and video quality as opposed to the option that would only play on my blu ray.

There must be a better setting than standard to up the quality and bit and still play on any dvd player?

Please?

B
Berger100
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 8