They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE* Organizer conversion

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

PSE* Organizer conversion

Postby MaryAnne » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi All,

I read the other post about converting an organizer but I didn't see this - the message I keep getting is "error encountered while writing file." And when I go to look for the My catalog file it is no where to be found, although the folder is there. HUM - I don't have the old computer that I upgraded from and since I had just purchased PSE10 and everything is fine in 8 I never gave it a thought.

So, can you download your backup catalog from the adobe site? Or a better way to say it - is my PSE8 catalog toast?
I've been to the Adobe site and I don't see any discussion about it.

Thanks
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: PSE* Organizer conversion

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 pm

The catalog is custom-created by the program, based on the media files on your computer. So you wouldn't want to download one from the Adobe site!

Usually, when you install Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements and you open the Organizer, it will automatically search for earlier versions of the program and offer to update the existing catalog to the current version.

If you don't already have a catalog or if the program is unable to locate or update it, the program can also create one from scratch by searching your computer and compiling a list of all of your media files.

Which version are you upgrading to version 8 from? (You obviously can't "upgrade" from version 10 to version 8.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 pm

My comments will be suggesting that you post on several forums. I do have one request -- whenever you do find a solution please come back to this thread and post a description of what worked for you. Thanks.

1 - Your post here does not really say what you attempted to do in order to transfer your catalog from v8 on the old computer to v10 on the new computer. Did you do any copying of the v8 catalog to the new computer ? Did you copy your photo files from the old computer to the new computer ?

2 - Specifically what command or what function were you attempting when you experienced the message -
"error encountered while writing file" ?
Perhaps the simplest answer would be to wonder if this could be some type of permission problem - however, more info about the function being attempted could help with this symptom. Also, what version of Windows, will the catalog be in the default location or if not where ? Where are the photo files ?

3 - One method that has a good success rate is to do a PSE backup on the old computer (this PSE Organizer Backup includes the catalog and the photo files) and then do a PSE Organizer Restore on the new computer. However since you say you don't have the old computer this approach can not be used UNLESS you have a PSE 8 Organizer Backup taken on the old computer.

4 - "So, can you download your backup catalog from the adobe site?"
IF YOU synched ALL your photos (and other media) to the photoshop.com site, then I think it may be possible to bring most information from photoshop.com back to your new computer and PSE 10. I have not done this process -- for assistance I would call Adobe Tech Support, mention that you just purchased PSE 10 and ask for upgrade assistance - OR - post this question on the Adobe site PSE forum.

5- Another forum which has significant activity about Photoshop Elements is Elements Village
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/index.php

It has a subforum for versions 7/8/9 and that is where I would look and post. (don't worry that it does not include 10 in the subforum name)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby MaryAnne » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi all,

Finally have a day off and want to get back to this "project".

To answer questions - I purchased a new computer (Dell - Windows 7) last April and I did the Easy file Transfer process that Microsoft laid out. No problems and Elements/Premier Ver. 8 and the catalog worked just fine. So I never touched it "assuming" because it worked it was fine. Nor did I go to look for the location on the new hard drive. I have been using version 8 in both elements and premier and have not had any problems for about 2 years.

Then - in December I bought Elements/Premier version 10. When I opened the organizer for the first time it gave me several instructions to "restore" the catalog before opening in ver. 10. I did this and everything went fine. Then I clicked on the message to open the catalog in Ver. 10 and I got the error message.

I really have mixed feelings about the organizer and I only use it to set up my photos for my slide shows - I'd hate to have to recreate but I don't want any problems with Premier when I go to open those videos.

I'll check with Adobe - it feels like that is my next step.
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 pm

hi MaryAnne,

I don't have any immediate ideas. I will keep following your thread and I am curious to know what Adobe tech support recommends.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby MaryAnne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:26 am

Hi all,

Could I entitle this response "sometimes you just get lucky?" :tup:

I was looking around the ver.10 organizer file menu and saw "restore catalog from backup on hard drive". HUM .... so I went back to Ver8 and under file menu there was "backup catalog to hard drive." So I did and renamed the file so I could find it! Closed ver.8, reopened ver 10 and "restored the catalog from hard drive." After several anxious minutes it completed (nothing still on screen) and then voila, it automatically opened the "convert window" and began to convert the catalog.

The conversion came to an end with nothing on the screen ( :- ) and I thought it had not worked when suddenly bada-bada-bing! The whole catalog (tags and all) was right before my eyes.

Here is what I learned - the catalog is located C drive>users>all users>adobe>elements organizer>catalogs. The file itself is called catalog.pse10.db

I'm not a big fan of the catalog for my photo organization - I find it cumbersome but I do use it, once my photos are resized, as a storyboard for preparing the still shots for a video in premier. Seems to move a large number of photos around a lot easier than putting them right into premier. Just my style. But I am so glad the thing worked - I hope this helps as a possible option if the converter for the organizer fails to convert!

Thanks
Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 8