They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Earthquake doesn't always shake!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Earthquake doesn't always shake!

Postby wyzboing » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm

I am still messing around with my cartoon effect video.

On video 1 I have a series of jpgs which have been through PSE to make them look like line drwings. To these I have applied the earthquake effect set to magnitude 6 to give me a background with a slightly wobbly effect. Above this I have tracks with my cut out characters using a (very bad) green screen and videomerge. Also various audio and more jpgs. I have still to add graphics and titles.

What I have noticed is that sometimes where all the tracks above the background stills are empty (i.e there is no action, just background), the earthquake effect doesn't shake so the background is still. This is not always the case - sometimes it shakes just fine on its own. Where it does not shake I have tried deleting the effect and reapplying, or deleteing the jpg from the timeline and then adding it again. If it didn't shake the first time doing either of these will make no difference.

However I have a work around. If I add any bit of video clip, delete the audio and then change the opacity of the remaining video to zero (in effect making a bit of blank video)and add it to any track above the uncooperative bcakground still, then the earthquake takes effect. This will also work with another still above it OTHER THAN another copy of the still it is above (hope you are following).

I cannot see any obvious difference between the bits that do work and the bits that don't.

It isn't a huge problem I would just like to know why it does this. Does anyone know?

Regards
wyzboing

Re: Earthquake doesn't always shake!

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I can't begin to speculate!

But, just curious, have you seen a difference between when Scale to Frame Size is applied to the still and when it is not?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 am

In the distant past I have seen similar behavior with other effects. I remember that I had to convert the jpegs to video. Then the effects worked as expected on the video.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby wyzboing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 pm

I've tried scale to frame both checked and unchecked and it makes no difference. It's very random.
wyzboing

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Stills can be problematic with motion effects. Premiere Elements knows that it's a still image and optimizes how the effects are applied. With video, the effect is called for every frame. With stills, it may be called only once. There are conditions that can cause the effect to be called more often, but it is dependent on how the internal rendering/compositing is performed and can vary from one release to another. For PrE 7, for instance, adding a video to a lower track than the still will cause the effect to be applied to the still where there is a video frame below, but not if the video is on a higher track. The OP, using PrE 8, indicates that the effect is applied when the video is on a higher track -- just the opposite.

It's best to convert the stills to video as RJ mentioned. Then it will work as intended and be consistent from one release to another.
Bob

Postby wyzboing » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Ah! So nice when someone has a neat explanation. Many thanks.
wyzboing

Return to PRE Version 8