They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Track matte problems

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Track matte problems

Postby pch006 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:20 pm

I've done track mattes with PE-9 before and didn't have this problem: Background on V1... Video on V2 ... Track matte on V3. The track matte is a softened white square in the upper right corner. I apply the track matte effect to V2 and Choose V3 for the track matte and also choose Luma. Now, I try to scale and move the video on V2 to fit into the track matte window but the track matte scales and moves at the same time making it impossible for me to fit the video into the white square. I have done track mattes before and this never happened.
pch006
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Track matte problems

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:24 am

What you are describing is how track matte works. When you apply the track matte to V2 and select V3 as the matte, the two tracks are linked. Any scaling or position changes to V2 will be applied to V3. It's not just PRE, it works this way in Premiere Pro also. Keep in mind that you can change the position and scaling of V3. So, it is possible to reposition and scale the matte to the location and size you wanted.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:34 am

Bob is right. You should make all of your adjustments and do all of your keyframed motion to the graphic on Video 3 BEFORE you turn on the Track Matte.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby pch006 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:01 pm

First of all, Happy New Year Bob and Steve. I don't know, but you would think there would be a way to unlink the track matte. I can see no practical reason why they ARE linked. That being said, I've created a little work around: When you have the matte in place, before applying the effect, bring the matte's opacity down to 50% or something, then you can adjust the size and placement of the clip below. I just tried this. Once I placed the matte effect, the track matte immediately shrunk to the size of the clip below. I was able then to enlarge the matte back to where it was. Am I the only one who thinks this is strange behavior???
pch006
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

I can see no practical reason why they ARE linked.

The "Track" in Track Matte refers to having the matte follow (i.e. track) an object. In the intended use, you keyframe the motion properties of the matte on V3 to follow an object on V2. In that context, the two must be linked because any change to the motion properties of V2 will break the relationship with the keyframing on V3 if they aren't. Linked, change the motion properties of V2 and V3 will follow maintaining the relationship.
Bob

Postby pch006 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks, Bob. I keep learning! I wish there was something called a "static matte"!
pch006
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Perhaps you just need to look at it in a different way.

Remove the track matte from video track 2. Now reverse the order of the bottom two video tracks -- what was originally on video track 1 is now on video track 2. Apply the track matte key to video track 2 as before and select "reverse". You've now punched a hole in video track 2 that you can see video track 1 through. Scale and position video track 1 as desired to place what you want in the "hole".
Bob

Postby pch006 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Wow, Bob... Thanks! Never tried that but, I certainly will!
pch006
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby pch006 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Brilliant! It works just the way I want track mattes to work!
pch006
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 8