They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Time Lapse speed control+ green screen effect

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 8.

Time Lapse speed control+ green screen effect

Postby briand » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 pm

I am doing a time lapse project using PRE8. I have more pictures than time to show them. I saw a patch to allow more fps, also thought to slect every 4th pic or so. On timescapes the person who pointed me here, sorry I forgot name, said in PRE7 after he sets the fps he can also use the time stretch to shorten it even more. I had tried this in 8 to no avail. Is it possible or what is the best way to shorten the timelapse sequence. It is to be shown to a large group of people and I am only allotted a small amount of time so the more flexibilty I have the better.

I also would like to green screen some hands and videomerge them in. I have played with green screen but not with lining up timing, so that the motions of the hands match the building process, any thoughts. Thanks in advance
briand
New User
New User

Re: Time Lapse speed control+ green screen effect

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:13 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Briand! I'm sure we can help you.

First, maybe I'm not clear on what you're saying, but you can't apply Time Stretch to a slideshow/still photo time lapse. Still photos don't have "time" the way video and audio do. I'm also not quite clear about what you're doing with the Green Screen Key, which you mention in your headline.

Are you applying a Green Screen Key to your photos, or is this a second, unrelated question?

The best way to shorten or lengthen a slideshow/time lapse is to first output it as a video. (In standard def you would do this using Share/Computer/AVI with a DV preset.) Then you would replace the slides on your timeline with this AVI. Once you've done this, you can apply Time Stretch to the AVI and make it a little longer or shorter as needed.

Is that what you're trying to do?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby briand » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the response, I see where my questions were confusing. I am new to all of this. You answered the first one perfectly.

Green Screen question
Got this idea from a paint company on youtube,
It is a timelapse that has been tilt shifted so it looks miniature. Then they green screened a hand and video merged it in so it looks like this giant hand is painting or in my case constructing the building. So I need to make a ton of pics tilt shift so I am thinking doing them in a batch. Then I thought I would have to watch the time lapse play while I did the hand movements so they synched with the construction. I would try to match the angle of the video camera for the hands to that of the timelapse webcam. Any thoughts on this one?
briand
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:06 pm

I would recommend that you do it in batches. If you try to do this all at once, you're going to drive yourself nuts -- and probably crash the program.

So create your tilt/shift videos (Have you seen our tutorial on doing this?) and then Share/Computer/AVI to output them. Then add the finished video to your project to create your Green Screen Key effect.

Actually, what I'd really recommend before you to any of this?

Try a couple of simpler projects, just to get used to the program. Do a simple green screen effect. Follow a couple of small project from camcorder to DVD. Get familiar and relaxed with what does what.

If you jump right into a project like this you're liable to find yourself feeling way over your head very quickly.

You have to learn to jump off a stool before you should attempt to skydive, after all.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby briand » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:32 pm

I have done a fe things with green screen and a couple short timelapse projects. I will play with the turning the still into video (avi). I see how that could make the whole thing easier. I will check out the tutorial, thanks again.
briand
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 8