They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Muvipix 2009 - Video Contest Comments and Questions

A parking place for everything that relates to our contests and giveaways!

Re: Muvipix 2009 - Video Contest Comments and Questions

Postby Cinde » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Jamal, I like your idea of sharing the stores of making the videos. I feel like I am "behind the scenes or backstage" of everyone's video story. I have learned so much by watching them all and each one has taught me something new.

I guess it’s my turn. Young at Heart and Wannabe are my entries.

Young At Heart is a condensed version of a video I made from my mother’s 83rd birthday. Last year when we were watching butterflies in her flower garden she said they reminded her of things she did when she was young and would like to do again. We’ve been working on a scrapbook for her. So off we went to recapture some of those old memories and to make new memories for both a hard copy and video scrapbook.

The butterflies are gif animations I made with PSE and the video screen positions were keyframed in PRE. The page turns of the final book are not an animated gif. Each page is actually 12 individual jpg files made in PSE.

The audio is a composition by Ron! I downloaded Antoine from the Products area. I think it is better than the samples of Ritenour I listened to after I read Dave McElderry and Ed’s comments during the voting period.

Wannabe is a spoof of American Idol, condensed from a video I did for my extended family (30+ members) to watch at our annual Christmas gathering at my Mom’s home.

Pix of family members’ faces were uploaded to the Internet to be combined online with animated cartoon bodies that I screen captured using Camtasia Studio. Of course the audio and video of the judges did not synchronize because they came from different YouTube sources.

The mini previews of the “streaker” waving during the comments made by the judges were the hardest part. Those mini previews are not an animated gif. I used IrfanView for multiple screen captures from the Camtasia Studio avi, imported them into PSE to remove the backgrounds and saved as jpg to drop on PRE timeline.

Since I didn’t want the video to be X-rated, it was a real challenge to cover the “streaker’ with the “Wannabe” logo. (Ok, there was a very small red star in the original version, but I still felt it was too suggestive for young or modest eyes and liked the Wannabe logo better.) Even with the timeline expanded to it’s fullest extent it was hard to position the logo each time he streaked or raised his arms in the victory dance.

Each year I try to come up with something for Mom's holiday gatherings. Two years ago it was the “Elf Yourself” video. Last year we played the “pass to the left, pass to the right” game with gag gifts for everyone. This year everyone roared with laughter at the Wannabe Idol cartoon animations of family members. I am hoping I can come up with something unique for next year. I’m thinking about a “family tree” type video but can’t quite get a handle on how to present it.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 am

My entry was 'Word in Pictures'. Just outside Palermo in Sicily is the cathedral of Monreale where mosaic designs inside the cathedral show some of the main bible stories. The video is a mix of a bit of video and a lot of stills (and a lot of Ken Burns effect!).

Editing was done in PPro and adjustment of the sound in both Audacity and Soundbooth. I also used Photoshop to create some bespoke black masking frames and Andrea Mosaic for the mosaic to photo transition. Other than the mosaic transition everything else could have been done in Premiere and Photoshop Elements.

Just two of the images that I used I found via Google, otherwise they were all photos that I took. The Gregorian Chant came from YouTube.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:54 am

Cinde, I came across Ron's clip in the Muvipix music after I made my comment, and I realized where it had come from. I was looking for some music for one of my own projects. Ron's is very good. Lee Rittenhour did some really nice stuff back in the 80s that Ron's composition brought to mind. If you ever get the chance to listen to it more in depth I'm sure you'd like it. Some is very laid back like Ron's piece; some gets a little more animated. But for me it's hard to find any of it that I don't enjoy.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:22 pm

There was a variety of entries this year from streakers, to polished History Chan. piece, raw emotion, perfect page turns, travel fun, and on... Really enjoyed watching them all, usually more than once, lots of ideas there!

My turn I guess,

L&J Wedding Highlight - Mashed up daughter's wedding DVD w/permission from the couple & videographer. The entry is from a longer version I made for them. Difficult on what to cut out and this project gave me a chance to try out the time-remapping in Pro and 4 color gradient.

Route 66 - We went to a festival over the Mississippi and it was a beautiful fall day, perfect weather. My elderly neighbor called those days God's bonus days :) Usually I would pick up the camcorder, but that day took the camera only to get river shots. Well, those cars were great to look at and since I am not a photographer thought I would practice my still shooting. Made the video as a personal project. The challenge was that I only had Pro about 3 months and it took a long time to make the slideshow since I was experimenting with all the effects. Lots of back & forth adjustments in the nested sequences. The challenge was zooming and not using a track matte for track matte like effect. And a challenge to get the timing down. A useful tip I learned here (think it was Bill) was to set the WAB over the section in the main timeline and hover over it for the exact time of a section and then I would open up the nested seque. and adjust the WAB to the same exact time. By doing this, was able to get the timing correct in the nested sequ which is updated in the main timeline. For the contest changed the song and did a re-edit, seems the song I originally used was not good for internet...had problems with a similiar song elsewhere.
Not sure if anyone noticed, but there is a section where the pics are doing the duck walk....in my original piece it was more referenced to the song.

My Life in the 60's - Chuck's 60 pack was an inspiration, but wasn't sure how I would make a project just yet. I also was interested in 3D work, like Paul's and saw a few others. Then one day on the way home from Church the project idea popped into my head to combine the two. Did a lot of testing and rescanned slides w/better res and tested what worked best in Pro. Spent a lot of time back and forth from PSE & Pro and would have been easier if I had Photoshop because I could then send the pic directly to edit. But with PSE had to open and import each time. Some of the pics are actually 2 to 4 pics of the same picture for resolution. Relied heavily on the velocity graph in Pro to get the rhythm down...wanted the slow then push off and then float feel to it. Lots of frame by frame matching things up with the monitor set to 200 % or whatever the highest setting...forget now. Pro doesn't have track motion and think it would have made other things easier.

Dirty Monkey - super lame video I made for my husband who loves it...he enjoyed helping me with ideas and the narration. Which the audio is super bad. This is actually version 3. Version 1 was started over a year ago and had sombreros with monkeys and follow the dot sing along thing...which didn't get too far with it and gave up and deleted. Version 2 had rotoscoping and more monkeys and again deleted it. Finally version 3 came together. (For every 10 ideas I have only 1 that pans out so maybe this video was better off in the dead pile). The hardest part was figuring out how to see the monkey thru the glass without having the glass too transparent at the end. Ended up with 3 glasses and 1 monkey for the effect. Out of all of my entries this one took the longest to make.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Tiny - edgy stuff will be watching for more stuff from you. Overall could tell you put a lot of work and thought into it. Can I ask? What are you in school for? Are you pursuing a career in this field. You seem very passionate about it.

Theresa - Colin and friends was a nice warm piece. Great to here how much they enjoy it! Just think in 10 - 20 years from now they might come across this and I'm positive it will stir the same sentiment but it will have even more meaning as they think back to the fun they had.

Steve - catchy catchy song and you had a lot of really clever stuff in there. You have some skill in photoshop I see The bust effect was really well done.

Dick - I think someone in the comments section put it best "Well executed" Everything from the music, the intro, the shot choices, the timings. My favorite part was the end where the four videos merge into the video of a story being read to children. Nice effect but more than that the timing with the music was perfect and symbolically it really "hit home". Very effective.

Cinde - Silly and funny to warm and fun. Nice job The animations are amazing must've taken a long time to do.

John - The mosaic thing was nicely executed. Have had a few experiments myself with it but noting turned out quite as good as yours.

Cheryl - For the wedding highlights wow moment was when they were walking out of the church. I loved that shot. It was slowed down and slight angle gave it a nice effect. Fun piece. So was your other stuff. Route 66 is a very tight edit. Life in the 60's was nicely executed loved the unique transitions between shots. Dirty monkey was fun. Still working for Pie and Beer? ABSOLUTELY! :mrgreen:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby tiny » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Tiny - edgy stuff will be watching for more stuff from you. Overall could tell you put a lot of work and thought into it. Can I ask? What are you in school for? Are you pursuing a career in this field. You seem very passionate about it.

Thanks

I'm an English Major. I may go pre-law next year, or I will likely go to gradual school for business. This is just a hobby I enjoy. :D
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:47 pm

tiny wrote:...gradual school for business...

Y'know, I never knew they call it gradual school. I find it odd that so many kids are taking 6 years to get through 4 year colleges. Wow, now I know what it's called :)
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:04 pm

John, which Andrea version did you use? And how many pictures? Bookmarked this a long time ago, but forgot about it. Very nice effect!

Bobby, off topic, but the 5 year plan is pretty much norm. My youngest racked up credits in HS so should be able to get a degree in 4 yrs...and that is with summer classes & 18 cr/semester.

Tiny, good luck with your studies. Sure you will go far in whatever field.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bobby » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Sorry - I was just trying a laugh on "gradual".

But, seriously, when I went to school we had classes 6 days a week, counting Saturday mornings and my credit load was so high that I didn't even get lunch one day my freshman year. And that was the standard curriculum (Stevens Tech in Hoboken NJ). The attrition rate was almost 50% after four years, and you were expected to graduate in four years. Times have changed.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby munickster » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Jamal,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. They're appreciated. FYI - in the closing clip with the mother reading to the children, I was the dapper young stud in the yellow sweater and bow tie. 50+ years later, I may still have some dapper left but the stud went out to pasture around the same time as Secretariat. :-D

Dick
munickster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:43 pm

munickster wrote: 50+ years later, I may still have some dapper left but the stud went out to pasture around the same time as Secretariat. :-D

Dick

:CS:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby tiny » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Oh I love the fun typo's that come from not proof reading. :P It's true though, some of us like to take out sweet time. I'm in rush to get out into this rough job market. I would like to see things settle down a little before I go job hunting. For now, I have a great summer job that I work, which may become very permanent. We can only hope. :D
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 pm

All the videos were OUTSTANDING...you should all win a prize.

Dick,

I may have to pick your brain about how you did those effects in Premiere. That was quite impressive. I've also been one to try and do things tha take a little bit more effort in premiere but your really does blow me away. Great Job!!! and that footage is priceless. You could sell that piece for an ad (i don't know what for but someone would like it...it feels very Allstate;s latest campaign).
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Maxine370 wrote:You could sell that piece for an ad (i don't know what for but someone would like it...it feels very Allstate;s latest campaign).

Ha! Had the same thought! A James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman voiceover for any company that been in the business of "memories". :!:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Jamal--

That was a GREAT song. Who does it and how can I get a copy of it? Is it on Amazon or itunes?
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to muvipix Contests