They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Congratulations Muvipix Spring 2008 Video Contest Winners!

A parking place for everything that relates to our contests and giveaways!

Re: Congratulations Muvipix Spring 2008 Video Contest Winners!

Postby ridon127 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Great job, Ron. :-D
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Sat May 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Ron, I love the new look of the contest entries. I especially like the drop down at the top giving information about the videos. Job well done!

Congrats Beth, on your big win!!

Maxine370 wrote:CInde,

Your turn to share. How did you create the very striking design look to your Family Reunion? The star-like distortion of the background image?

:-k

This was a shortened and edited variation of an actual family reunion video I did last summer.

I used 4 separate avi files to create the final video in PRE 3
1. Opening scene at 1-3 seconds of full green field “pixel beams”— .avi Created with Buff Titler
2. Second scene at 4-7 seconds of family group photo “pixel beams”- .avi created with Bluff Titler
3. Third scene at 8-21 seconds of individual faces pan and zoom — .avi created with PRE 3
4. Closing scene at 22-30 seconds of partial green field “pixel beams” — .avi created with Bluff Titler

The “pixel beams” effect was actually the easiest part of the whole thing. It was done with a program called Bluff Titler. I downloaded the “pixel beam” filter effect from the user created gallery on their web site. I opened the sample file with BT and exchanged their sample photo with my 1st photo of the green field background. (It really was that simple, exchanging one photo!)To save it I chose >Export as Movie > save as uncompressed .avi . Then I imported it into PRE 3 to add titles for the opening scene. I did the same for second scene and closing scene.

The pan and zoom of each individual person was a real learning experience for me. I used PSE 5 to extract the face of each person, added their name and saved each as a jpg. Then I imported the original and the 13 individual faces into PRE 3. Placed the original on video 1 and the other 13 on video 2, then keyframed the pans and zooms. Saved as an avi.

Finally imported all 4 avi into a new project, added titles and audio.

On a different note: My new smiley avatar was partially created with BT. Since there has been at least two other threads mentioning Bluff Titler, maybe we should start a new topic so those who have an interest can discuss it in one place.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 am

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. It was a bit of work, but you guys deserved it!
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim5k » Sun May 18, 2008 7:26 am

Wow, I didn't expect to win anything! Everyone else is just so good. (I guess they maxed out their prize quotas).

If I was more active, I'm sure I'd get more from the Muvipix membership. But I'm still pretty much a rookie leaning the basics, so I'll choose the book "Premiere Elements 2 in a Snap". Plus I'm still using Premiere Elements 2, so the book will be perfect for me.

Much thanks to Muvipix and everyone involved in the contest, including the entrants. Your work gives me something to learn from and strive for.
jim5k
New User
New User

Postby Gooder » Sun May 18, 2008 8:31 am

Cinde wrote:This was a shortened and edited variation of an actual family reunion video I did last summer.

I used 4 separate avi files to create the final video in PRE 3
1. Opening scene at 1-3 seconds of full green field “pixel beams”— .avi Created with Buff Titler
2. Second scene at 4-7 seconds of family group photo “pixel beams”- .avi created with Bluff Titler
3. Third scene at 8-21 seconds of individual faces pan and zoom — .avi created with PRE 3
4. Closing scene at 22-30 seconds of partial green field “pixel beams” — .avi created with Bluff Titler

Hi Cinde
It's Interesting to know how you did all of that!!! :)
Mmm, nice!
Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Sun May 18, 2008 8:42 am

Jim5k,
This is just my opinion (hope I am not out of line here) I think you made a good choice there, actually - because the book will get you more comfortable with what you are doing, and then you can always post here if you have problems or questions. Once you get some of the techniques in the book under your belt, you will probably (like the rest of us) want more and have ideas for things you want to do. Then you will come back here! \:D/

BTW, I liked your entry a lot - I thought it was quite clever! =D>
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob D » Sun May 18, 2008 10:31 am

Congratulations to all the winners! There is some fantastic entries out there. It will take all year for me to try and grasp how some of those entries accomplished what they did. Of course by then the next contest will be here and I'll have to learn more new stuff! Isn't life great! :-8
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks Jim, please PM me with your mailing address and I will get the book out to you next week :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun May 18, 2008 1:27 pm

jim5k, you can't go wrong with the book...it is a must read. Maybe Chuck will autograph it too!

Ron, the set up viewing of this year's entries is very impressive. Think you deserve a prize. =D>
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby jim5k » Sun May 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks for the comments. I knew my videos didn't have a lot of technical merit when I entered them (which is why I didn't expect to win in a video contest), but I like sharing my ideas so that someone else might take them one step further.

When I started, I only wanted to do still slideshows on DVD. Then I wanted to mix in a few videos, so I went the Premiere Elements route. It's not the easiest software to learn, especially for a simple slideshow, but I got hooked on the power and control it offers. I've only scratched the surface so far (heck, I learned several new things making these entries alone), but I know the tools are there for whatever I can think of. ...All I have to do is figure out how to do it.

Looking forward to reading "In a Snap"! - jim
jim5k
New User
New User

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 20, 2008 11:19 am

Have a few questions for Lee on his "Together" wedding piece. What is the song? The dissolves: are they cross dissolves lengthened? More on one pic than the other? Or fade in an outs on 2 tracks? How did you achieve the soft flash in the group shot outside in the beginning? Matte made in photoshop?

Thanks in advance.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Tue May 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Chuck, Steve, Ron you guys rock! Since I'm moderator and get the membership for free, They offered to replace that prize with a $50 gift certificate from amazon.com and the "In a snap" book! Much obliged gentleman! Just another reason to love muvipix! :mrgreen:

Congratulations to all the winners! Best ... Contest ...ever! Quality of the entries was amazing! Bring on the next one!
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gooder » Wed May 21, 2008 3:44 am

momoffduty wrote:Have a few questions for Lee on his "Together" wedding piece. What is the song? The dissolves: are they cross dissolves lengthened? More on one pic than the other? Or fade in an outs on 2 tracks? How did you achieve the soft flash in the group shot outside in the beginning? Matte made in photoshop?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Cheryl,

Gooder “Our Wedding” Music Video 2008
Software used: Premiere Pro CS3/1.5 & Photoshop CS3

The title of the song: Look beyond your eyes.
Artist: Giuliano Pilati

We wanted to use something different that had a distinct sound to it for the contest!!
Although, we did choose a more romantic song on our original video.
We chose a song from the Bee Gees (Islands in The Stream).

Fades & Composition layers:

The fades were a mixture of cross dissolves and composition layers!
The composition layers were controlled by using the opacity feature this gave me control over the length of the composition
and therefore kept the underneath layer visible, along with a touch of Gaussian blur to add that extra element!
(To take the viewers eyes away from the background to the foreground).

I used cross dissolves on the start and end of some clips.
Duration of the fades were between 20 frames (00.00.00.20) and 1second and 5 frames (00.00.01.05)

Soft Camera Flash:

The soft flash effect was created by using a free plug-in:
Effect Essentials Camera Flash (no longer free)

You have complete control over the intensity, Colour and Saturation.
I used key frames with an intensity of 25, colour white and saturation was left at its default!

Matte:

The matte was created in Photoshop but it came pre-made with a set of DVDs I purchased for my photography work!
The only alteration I did to the matte was a negative effect in Photoshop. (This changed the black to white, the edge
of the matter you see in the video is white and it was originally black).

Thank you for asking!

Good luck for your daughters wedding!!! :)
It was really nice to hear that you would like to use my effects in your daughters wedding video :shock: :)

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 am

Wow Lee, thanks so very much for the detailed explanations. The dissolves are an area that I would like to explore farther. We have hired a videographer for the wedding and he will create a DVD for her. My project for her will be pics and some of his video set to music. She has a long list, but her favorite is You Belong To Me by Jason Wade (Lighthouse). I love that song too for weddings. Liked the song you used too for the contest entry and will use it in the future, has a nice tempo to it.

For the camera flash, I use a very bright settings and will play with that a bit to tone it down. Maybe a garbage matte around the bride & groom with softer settings. And thanks for the matte ideas too.

Will probably have more questions later, hope you don't mind,

Thanks again!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Gooder » Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am

momoffduty wrote:Wow Lee, thanks so very much for the detailed explanations.
Liked the song you used too for the contest entry and will use it in the future, has a nice tempo to it.

Will probably have more questions later, hope you don't mind,

Thanks again!

You are welcome! :)
yes, if you have any more questions then please ask away...

Cheers,
Lee :)
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to muvipix Contests