They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Well I think it might be about that time....

A parking place for everything that relates to our contests and giveaways!

Well I think it might be about that time....

Postby sidd finch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:31 pm

As I recall we discussed a video contest about competition..... I am offering a slight twist, or theme variation. The "competition" would be to enter the contest. But here are my thoughts

1 Scope: Instead of a competition for a winner make it a showcase of our efforts. That way we can review, enjoy, and offer insight to all videos displayed. This might drive additional interest. Or, spur a "How did you do that" exchange.

2 Time: How about we make it sometime after Thanksgiving (US Holiday) but before Christmas (Dec 25). No religious overtones implied. :)

3 Quality: Add a video that you made that you would like to share. Length is of your own choosing but 2-3 minutes is usually the sweet spot.

4. Communication: Let the forum know your thoughts and consensus rules that day :)

I kind of think of it like going to a pot-luck meal everyone brings something to share.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Well I think it might be about that time....

Postby Peru » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Nice idea. :tup:
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:03 pm

My only concern is that so many people are very busy during that time, between Thanksgiving and New Years. One of the reasons we always held previous contests in the late winter or early spring, before the thaw, when no one had anything better to do :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:10 pm

I like your sharing vs competing concept, Sidd.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 am

My only concern is that so many people are very busy during that time

My guess is that there will never be an opportune time. Making it a showcase allows enough flexibility for those that have the time and energy. Since there is no "winner" the bar is much lower. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:59 pm

I like the idea of displaying what you are capable of, instead of just trying to "win". Hopefully we will get some cool entries and lots of "How did you do that?" questions.

At some point in the future we should have a "showcase" where all entries are created on a mobile phone. Storytelling is storytelling, yes? :-D
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 am

I'm not against the idea of competition. It's just that this group is so small. I've noticed we get two votes. Is that supposed to be so we can all vote for ourselves and one other person's entry?

I'm never going to vote for myself.

Does that mean my choice for 'winner' hold more weight than those who do vote for themselves? (Assuming anyone does.)

What if a competition could be advertised (not sure how) and perhaps bring new members to MuviPix?
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Scope: Instead of a competition for a winner make it a showcase of our efforts

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:33 pm

I too think that efforts are to be awarded more than results.
I have an articulated idea of competition,
I hope it can fit the theme so re-elaborated.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:17 am

I agree. Sharing (IMO) is best among such a small group but IF a competition could bring new members to the forum, I think that would be good too. If there were dozens of entries I think a clear cut preference for a winner would be more likely.

Anyone can 'share' on YouTube but a competition could spur interest if widely advertised.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:33 am

In the past have competitions been held more often than they are now?

This past year I've completed some videos, thought about posting them in the Showcase but decided against it in case a competition came up - so I'd have at least something to enter - in the event my life was overwhelmed by something else at the time.

Anyone else done that?

Suppose everyone was encouraged to post their videos all year long in the Showcase and then once a year, perhaps in sync with the Oscars, we had a Muvipix Awards event?

My thinking - definitely open for suggestions -

Let either the creator of the video or any other member nominate videos for the MVPx Awards.

Maybe there could be categories?

Best:

Technical skills

(I'd nominate Sidd's museum with movies moving all over the walls for that!)

Video and Music Combination

Mood

Lighting

Most Humorous

Animation

and so on.

If an individual had posted a dozen videos over the course of a year, all those vids could be entered.

Perhaps votes would be limited to 1 or 2 per category.

Prize? A trophy? Plaque? Statuette?
The group comes up with a name for the prize? (Oscar is already taken :no: )

Does Muvipix have a facebook presence? If so, perhaps the Awards Event could be advertised there.

Perhaps previous contest winners' videos could be posted on both Vimeo and YouTube to advertise the event and draw new members to Muvipix.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Paz,

If you go to the gallery, http://muvipix.com/cpg/ you can see that several years ago there was an annual contest with a reasonable number of entries. There were prizes, and some contests had substantial prizes. I think Cheryl won her first copy of After Effects and somebody else won a video camera in another contest. I'm not sure why interest in entering contests decreased.
Peru

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Peru, perhaps the idea of the yearly contest created a stronger emotion and expectation.

This year many of the creator was involved in editing the tutorials for the new versions of the most popular software, so that the contest has been postponed and - of course - motivation may have slowed down.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:34 am

I think Cheryl won her first copy of After Effects and somebody else won a video camera in another contest.

Impressive incentive, indeed.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Yes, we used to have some pretty nice prizes :)

Not sure why the number of entries dropped so much after the first couple of years.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to muvipix Contests