They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capture Video - TOO MUCH?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Capture Video - TOO MUCH?

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm

OK - so I have been capturing about 4 hours of video....
but the stuff from my previous project is still there along with the slideshow images as well - about 120 images.
So
I have tried to capture another hour and the capture screen comes up but the actual "screen " where you would normally see black - then you would see the image of what is being captured...........
the area is see through and there are ALL these AVI files and images taking up a huge amount of memory I think.......
any advice on how to get rid of the past images or avi files that I will NOT be needing on this project?

I think that is the problem - I mean I have like - 600 of these files that are all loading up..........
I have no clue why.

OK
Thanks
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capture Video - TOO MUCH?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:14 am

Sounds like you may have used the same project title so the 'new' stuff is being added to the 'old'.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:19 am

Where are you seeing this "old video", cool?

It's not on the Project panel, right? The Project panel lists only the video that is in your project.

The Organize or Media panel is connected to the Organizer, and it will list all of the media on your computer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

When I select File - Get Media From - Capture - the program automatically switches over to Organizer

I have tried starting new projects and even in the new projects it does the same thing....
I have tried starting projects on the external hard drive - but still the same thing.......
When I switch to Stop Motion it appears to be fine - then I switch back to Capture - It will not work
when I click on Get Video - NOTHING

I have approximately 8000 avi files in the organizer
yes - eight thousand
I cant help but think this is the problem - it seems as though the computer is struggling to get all those files in the organizer and as a result - wont let me capture video

is there a way to delete all those files that I dont need?

some of these files are 4 or 5 years old I think........
and the little picture that you see with most images - there is just a little icon for video in there - but the title is still present when you place the cursor over that little avi file in the organizer

I am running a Dell XPS XPS 420
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz 2.39GHz
RAM - 4.00GB
32 bit operating system
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:31 am

You mean, I think, when you capture video, Premiere Elements switches over to the Organize panel, right? It doesn't launch the Organizer program, right? That would be an indication of a serious problem.

Switching to the Organize/Media panel is what Premiere Elements just does by default. And, as I've said, that is just video on your hard drive. It's not video in your project (which would be on your Project panel).

You can easily remove any video you want by opening the Organizer program and selecting the video in the Media Browser. Then right-click and select Delete, okaying the option to remove clips from the drive as well as the Organizer catalog.

Just don't confuse the Organize/Media panel in Premiere Elements with the Organizer program (a whole separate program).
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

no no - it is not lauching the Organizer program - it is just switching over by default.....
on the scroll bar you can see the clips loading and loading and loading.......
the capture video window that is supposed to pop up comes up with the frame and the button for GET VIDEO.....
but the BLACK screen that is supposed to be there never comes up and stays "clear" - or see through - so the stuff that is behind the new frame is able to be seen through tthis screen..........

hard to explain i know

but ultimately I do need to capture more video to complete this project

and unless there is another way to do this - I am at a stand still

So I am hoping the forum has some suggestions.

Also - after this project is complete - and I purchase Premiere Elements 7 - will all this old avi footage be able to easily be transferred?
and based on the specs that are on the above post....will my computer be able to easily handle the Premiere Elements 7?
and are there any places that I can get more transitions for PE 4?
or PE 7?

this turned into a lot of questions - but I hope we can get some of this info on here - perhaps there is another thread that already has this info

here is what we do
http://youtu.be/J7KeYlk2zqc

so - you see we have a lot of 2-3 second clips - this is why we have 8000 segments
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I really wish I could help you, coolstuff, but I just keep getting more confused.

So you're saying that your capture screen never completely loads, right?

How fast is your computer processor and how much RAM do you have? Have much free, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive? (You'll need at least 20-30 gigs.) Are you editing video on your C drive or to a second hard drive?

What operating system are you using? Have you manually gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime? Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia sites to ensure you have the latest firmware for your video graphics card?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Very very cool videos, by the way!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby coolstuffiniowa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Steve - as you may or may not remember - I am a weirdo that refuses to have this computer hooked up to the internet.....
therefore I get no updates for anything

I have figured out the problem I think............
I clicked on the camera in the upper right hand window and changed the format from DV to HDV and the images are being captured now.

My new concern is

when I am going to combine the footage will there be compatibility issues?

that means - will the HDV captured stuff be able to be imported to the DV footage that has already been edited?

If I edit 15 minutes of race track footage in HDV and cut it down to 4 minutes.....and make that 4 minute segment an AVI file.......and then combine the 4 minute race track footage with the 30 minutes of already captured and edited DV footage....will there be a difference in quality? Will they even work together?
coolstuffiniowa
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm not sure. It's sure worth trying to see if they work!

miniDV and HDV undergo very little change during capture. It could be that, regardless of your settings, you still got miniDV from your miniDV camcorder.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions