They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE3 update?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

PE3 update?

Postby kr236rk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi

Have been using PE3 with no worries for several years on XP (P4) - but suddenly and without warning it has stopped - possibly corrupted, but no amount of re-installs will get it back up and working again.

So I need a later version because I really value the cropping ability in PE which is absent in some other dv edit softwares, for example.

What are the minimum computer requirements I need for later / available editions of PE please?

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: PE3 update?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Up through version 7, the system requirements don't change much, Ric.

Version 8 is a real resource hog! Version 9 runs much more efficiently than version 8 -- but how much power you need depends on what kind of video you're editing.

Tape-based and standard def video should edit fine on a dual-core 2.6 ghz machine -- although you may be able to work with the program on a Pentium 4. It just won't be quite as peppy.

Once you start working with hard drive hi-def video, system specs get a little more demanding. We usually say for best performance you should use a quad-core or i7 processor to edit AVCHD.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Up through version 7, the system requirements don't change much, Ric.

Version 8 is a real resource hog! Version 9 runs much more efficiently than version 8 -- but how much power you need depends on what kind of video you're editing.

Tape-based and standard def video should edit fine on a dual-core 2.6 ghz machine -- although you may be able to work with the program on a Pentium 4. It just won't be quite as peppy.

Once you start working with hard drive hi-def video, system specs get a little more demanding. We usually say for best performance you should use a quad-core or i7 processor to edit AVCHD.

Thanks Steve,

So, version 7 or 9. My other / non-Adobe software upgrade is burdened by 3D so goodness knows how slow that would run? :-8

I'm not necessarily looking at HD - just basic dv so I can capture/ my home movie ciné films. I am looking at a 2.6Ghz 2Core at the moment. Would HD be possible on a 2.6Ghz 2Core if slow - just in case I upgrade my cam?

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm

My personal recommendation would be for version 7 unless you have a specific need for something that V9 has that V7 doesn't. OTOH, V9 has lost a number of things that V7 had.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby kr236rk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:My personal recommendation would be for version 7 unless you have a specific need for something that V9 has that V7 doesn't. OTOH, V9 has lost a number of things that V7 had.

Thanks Dave,

OK 7 it is :)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Have been using PE3 with no worries for several years on XP (P4) - but suddenly and without warning it has stopped - possibly corrupted, but no amount of re-installs will get it back up and working again.

make sure you see if the trial version works on your computer. It bothers me somewhat that PRE3 just stopped working on your system. I wouldn't be surprised if the later versions would not work either.

If re-installs cannot get PRE3 to work on your system, there is something seriously wrong. Have you made any recent changes to your system? Have you added new hardware, new software?

If it were me I would definitely try to debug the problem further. That doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade, but it sounds like something is seriously wrong with your system.

And when all else fails, is it possible to re-install your system from a scratch. Do you have the priginal XP disks, or the restore discs that come with some computers?
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 am

JohnnyO wrote:

make sure you see if the trial version works on your computer. It bothers me somewhat that PRE3 just stopped working on your system. I wouldn't be surprised if the later versions would not work either.

If re-installs cannot get PRE3 to work on your system, there is something seriously wrong. Have you made any recent changes to your system? Have you added new hardware, new software?

If it were me I would definitely try to debug the problem further. That doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade, but it sounds like something is seriously wrong with your system.

And when all else fails, is it possible to re-install your system from a scratch. Do you have the priginal XP disks, or the restore discs that come with some computers?

Thanks. It worries me too :shock:

When PE3 folded on my XP/P4 I thought, no worries, I have another P4 doing nothing in a spare room. This P4 had just had the old hard drive removed and a new (larger) one inserted, I also upgraded the chip. XP re-installed as well. So I did a clean install of PE3 from the disc and got exactly the same error message 'PE3 cannot find audio drivers' and so the install aborted. The second P4 had never run PE3 before.

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 pm

It's definitely a problem with your system - not PE3. I just got a new Windows 7 64-bit laptop. I installed PE3 (which went fine). However, when I went to run PE3, the system would lock up. I did some online research and found that PE3 does not run on Windows 7 Home Premium, but Windows 7 Professional has XP Mode (a 32-bit Windows XP emulator) that does work.

I did the Windows Anytime upgrade to Pro, then downloaded and installed XP Mode and the Windows Virtual PC. Then I installed PE3 in XP Mode and it works!
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 am

ScrugneysGundogs wrote:It's definitely a problem with your system - not PE3. I just got a new Windows 7 64-bit laptop. I installed PE3 (which went fine). However, when I went to run PE3, the system would lock up. I did some online research and found that PE3 does not run on Windows 7 Home Premium, but Windows 7 Professional has XP Mode (a 32-bit Windows XP emulator) that does work.

I did the Windows Anytime upgrade to Pro, then downloaded and installed XP Mode and the Windows Virtual PC. Then I installed PE3 in XP Mode and it works!

OK

1. PE3 failed on my original XP P4 (Dell Dimension 3000) which had been running PE3 for several years - hardly ever a glitch, then ~

2. PE3 failed on a subsequent XP P4 (Dell Optiplex GX270) which had never run PE3 before.

You are saying that both computers have a problem - the same problem - then what is it please?

Believe you me, I was quite happy with PE3 and would much rather stick with it than upgrade.

:pull:

Thanks,

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 am

kr236rk wrote:So I did a clean install of PE3 from the disc and got exactly the same error message 'PE3 cannot find audio drivers' and so the install aborted.

Ric, maybe a silly question but when you did the clean install of XP did you also re-install all of the hardware drivers? Reason I ask is that the error message "PE3 cannot find audio drivers" suggests that whilst the opsys may have been re-installed other necessary drivers have not been installed.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 am

Are these computers connected to the internet or are they isolated? If they are online, the drivers should get updated automagically. If not, get online, then update all your drivers.
1st keep doing Windows Update until you are current.
Then open up Device Manager and go down the list. Right click on each and choose Update Driver Software.

EDIT: I just saw this 'PE3 cannot find audio drivers'. That narrows it down. In Device Manager, look for "Sound, Video & Game Controllers".

My Computer>(right click)>Properties>Device Manager>Sound, Video & Game Controllers>(for each device -right click)>Update Driver Software
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:49 am

ScrugneysGundogs wrote:Are these computers connected to the internet or are they isolated? If they are online, the drivers should get updated automagically. If not, get online, then update all your drivers.
1st keep doing Windows Update until you are current.
Then open up Device Manager and go down the list. Right click on each and choose Update Driver Software.

EDIT: I just saw this 'PE3 cannot find audio drivers'. That narrows it down. In Device Manager, look for "Sound, Video & Game Controllers".

My Computer>(right click)>Properties>Device Manager>Sound, Video & Game Controllers>(for each device -right click)>Update Driver Software

Thanks - I'll give it a shot and will update :)

BTW both XP's had been running an audio interface at various times, which had its own drivers ~ I wonder if this had anything to do with PE3 getting fazed?

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Update Re: PE3 update?

Postby kr236rk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Update:

The P4 XP is and has always been connected to the Internet by ethernet cabling,Windows Updates are configured to auto.

I uninstalled the audio interface + driver [ M-Audio] I used to use, so reverting to the system's default audio set up. I updated the drivers in Device Manager for Audio Codices and SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio from the XP disc. The install wizard said it couldn't find drivers better than the ones already there. So that was all ok.

I re-installed PE3 from disc, which is version v3.0.2. The install went great and I re-registered the software. I then updated QuickTime. I initiated PE3 and selected a past project for it to open. This is what happened:

I also noted this time round that no work line appeared at all - normally the project would load a line of stills from the movie, but the time line is blank.

I repeated the experiment on another saved project but the result was exactly the same.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Ric,
Can you start a new project successfully?
Can you also save a new project, close it and then open it again without an error?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Ric,
Can you start a new project successfully?
Can you also save a new project, close it and then open it again without an error?

As soon as I open a new project I get that message again. I press 'OK' and PE3 closes.

:???:
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Prior Versions