They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pan & Zoom, Is this correct way to use???

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Pan & Zoom, Is this correct way to use???

Postby EleanorAliza » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have just imported photos to create another slideshow at the 1000x750 recommended photo size and have unchecked "Default Scale to Frame Size". I am using the free download of pan & zooms from Muvi Pix. This is what I am doing, and I want to know if this is correct:
1. Add my photos to the timeline or sceneline in the order I want to appear.
2. Open >effects >my presets >Pick a pan & zoom preset and drag to the photo in the monitor. If I am not happy with the area being shown during the pan & zoom preview in the black portion of the preview monitor, I then do #3.
3. I click on the photo in the monitor and a white border appears (can not see unless you move photo right or left) with a black circle & crosshair in the center. Am I right to assume that the black area (not the dark grey on each side) is what you will see on a regular TV screen (not widescreen). I then click and hold and drag the photo around to display portion I want to be able to see in the pan & zoom. I make sure my photo edge overlaps slightly on top of the black square. I then preview again to make sure all black area is covered by the moving photo. I know I can open properties and use keyframes for the beginning of the pan/zoom and then end of the pan/zoom to make it really really custom, but I am trying to do it the fastest way possible, I have a lot of photos to do.

My question is this: I know you use the Safe Margins when adding text to stay within a safe viewing area just in case the TV you are using cuts the border off a bit, but are you suppose to use it with pan & zoom effects? I have viewed the pan & zoom tutorial from this site, and I noticed that the "Safe Margins" are shown, and it seems lthat Mr. Engels is keeping his photo within that outside line. I was under the assumption that what appeared in the "black area" the 720x480 pixels video size, is what you will see on your final DVD. If you keep the photo in the "Safe Margin" area won't there be a black border around your photos? I am not sure what edition the tutorial is being done on, but it looks earlier than PE4.

So, do you use "Safe Margins" or not for pan/zoom???
And is what I am doing as stated above correct???
Thanks ever so much for all the great advise I have received from all of you.
Happy Thanksgiving
Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Re: Pan & Zoom, Is this correct way to use???

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Once again, Aliza, I think you're much farther along in mastering this program than you think you are!

It sounds to me like you're doing exactly what you should be doing. And you're really picking up keyframing fast!

Remember that Safe Margins are just a guide. You don't want to put all your content within your Safe Margins. Just the most vital content. (And they're much more important with titles than video, since you certainly don't want to lose part of your title.) So I always work with them on. But, if they're in the way while you're keyframing, you can turn them off too.

You really are doing great!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 pm

HI Aliza,
Here is my 2 cents :)

At some point you will probably want to adjust the position and keyframes using the Properties rather than adjusting the image location. But for purpose of speed you will be fine doing it this way for now. Although after you learn how to adjust the keyframes you will realize that it is faster to do it that way. Just takes time which I know you don't have right now.

There are two safe margins, inner and outer. The inner margin is the Text Safe Margin, the outer is the Action Safe Margin. Anything outside of the Action Safe margin will not be seen when played on a Television. You will see this if you play it on a Computer Monitor, but not if played on a DVD player and a Television.

Some of us have TVs connected to our computers so we can see exactly how it will look on TV as we are editing.
This takes a television monitor and some extra equipment. But that is what the safe margins are for, so you don't put things outside of the view that people will see on a television screen.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby EleanorAliza » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for such a quick reply! Keyframing is soooooo cool, I just love to try all different stuff with it. But I must get this slideshow done ASAP, so no more experimenting with this cool stuff till this one is in the bag.
Thank you for the clarification on the Safe Margins. I get what you are saying, give the good stuff a little error room, don't place what you might lose at the very edges. OK.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Postby EleanorAliza » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:15 pm

1Hi Chuck,
I think your advise is worth a heck of lot more than 2cents! Without you guys I would be pulling my hair out by now.

I find the safe margins pretty distracting, but I get what you are saying. I will make sure the vital stuff is a good half inch inside the black square in the viewing monitor.

Another stupid question. I have an old 50inch Sony that is not widescreen so I believe what I see on PE4 preview monitor is basically what I will see on my TV. What happens when you view the DVD burned as regular on a widescreen TV, I am assuming that it will appear just like when you play a rental DVD that is formatted for widescreen, it will give you black borders on the sides. Correct or not?

Thanks again Steve & Chuck, you guys are the greatestttttttttttttt!!!
Aliza
EleanorAliza

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:45 pm

EleanorAliza wrote: What happens when you view the DVD burned as regular on a widescreen TV, I am assuming that it will appear just like when you play a rental DVD that is formatted for widescreen, it will give you black borders on the sides. Correct or not?

Yes that is correct. Just remember that anything outside of the outer margin will not appear on the TV screen. You don't have to be 1/2 inch away, just don't go outside of the margin.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:07 pm

Also remember that the safe margins are not a "standard," as different TVs may display differently. ;)
Peru

Postby Jayell » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:40 am

Peru wrote:Also remember that the safe margins are not a "standard," as different TVs may display differently. ;)

Ain't that the truth! I test my really important stuff on 3 different televisions. Amazing how differently they display.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Prior Versions