They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tweaking audio in PE3

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Tweaking audio in PE3

Postby kr236rk » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 am

Hi,

I am working on a soundtrack which I have had to assemble in parts. I have managed to blend the sections by overlapping them on parallel audio lines, using the besier control :) but some sections are 'trebly' whilst others have more 'bass' in the tone :neutral:

Is there a way to adjust audio tone in PE3 please? Or if not, are there any tips to get round this?

Many thanks!

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tweaking audio in PE3

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Ric,
You can add audio transitions between the clips, there are only two to choose from.
They do work very well for blending and work the same as video transitions do.

As far as the treble and bass issues, the high pass and low pass filters are probably best to try first. The Notch filter is also one of my favorite audio tools in Premiere Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks Chuck :)

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Ric,
You can add audio transitions between the clips, there are only two to choose from.
They do work very well for blending and work the same as video transitions do.

This sounds very cool - how is it done please? I searched the help index under 'join' but could see nothing for linking segments of audio. I mean I know how to 'group' two (or more) contiguous pieces, but that still leaves an audio 'pop' between them, unless you fade them out and in again, where they meet.

As far as the treble and bass issues, the high pass and low pass filters are probably best to try first. The Notch filter is also one of my favorite audio tools in Premiere Elements.

'Notch filter' - where would I locate this please?

I have to admit I get in a real mess in the workspace and have to keep re-setting it, which doesn't always bring me back to where I started out. I guess 'practise makes perfect' :)

Thanks again!

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon May 17, 2010 1:31 pm

The effects Chuck mentioned cut out frequencies which probably isn't what you want to do. Premiere Elements does have a Bass and a Treble effect which can boost the respective frequencies. Those may help.

Or, you could export the audio as a wav file and work with it in the free Audacity program (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). I'm using the Beta version which is actually very stable. Audacity a far greater number of effects that you can work with including an equilizer. The modified track can then be imported back into your Premiere Elements project and you can replace the original audio.
Bob

Postby kr236rk » Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Bob wrote:The effects Chuck mentioned cut out frequencies which probably isn't what you want to do. Premiere Elements does have a Bass and a Treble effect which can boost the respective frequencies. Those may help.

Or, you could export the audio as a wav file and work with it in the free Audacity program (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). I'm using the Beta version which is actually very stable. Audacity a far greater number of effects that you can work with including an equilizer. The modified track can then be imported back into your Premiere Elements project and you can replace the original audio.

Thanks Bob,

Can you refresh me as to how to export the audio? I have a program called MixCraft(3) which I really like cos it loads audio as a timeline which you can pull about all over the place - it is one of the best audio softwares I have ever used and cost me about $60 from Amazon back in the day. Have been upgrading ever since, currently up to MC5 which is too powerful for my old Pentium 3 but my slightly less old P4 can handle it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixcraft

I have Sony's SoundForge as a backup in case there's anything MC can't handle, but the 'workspace' in SF is much less forgiving than MixCraft. Both programs have excellent equalizers.

Many thanks again :)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Mon May 17, 2010 2:35 pm

ps. i worked out how to export the soundrack as a wav - am working on it now in MC5 :)

thanks,

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Prior Versions