They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

double video editing?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

double video editing?

Postby kr236rk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi,

i have a short video that i want to bring out certain details from -

gone as far as duplicating the captured footage and positioning it above the original footage 'video 1', with copy footage now on 'vdeo 2' line above it.

now for the tricky bit :-8

is it possible to work on video 2, cropping into details then, when finished, slotting these into Video 1, so that the continuity of the original video is not interrupted please?

this is important because the video has a synched soundtrack so i want to keep the action in line with it at all times, whatever i do to the visuals

it's video of a guitar player playing, and i want to zoom into the instrument here and there, without breaking the consistency of the music

there seem to be two possiblilities: either a) carefully deleting sections of the original footage and slotting in the details from the copy footage -

or b) keeping both time lines intact but 'toggling' from one to the other when required.

I don't think b) is going to work if i also want to add transitions / 'fades' though, that will require keeping all the footage on one video time line only?

suggestions appreciated! ;)

thanks

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: double video editing?

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm

I don't think you need a second image if all you are doing is zooming in, panning around, and then zooming back out again. Just use keyframes at the critical points and control with the position and scale properties. If you don't know how to do that, hollar and we will find some more help or tutorials.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Bobby wrote:I don't think you need a second image if all you are doing is zooming in, panning around, and then zooming back out again. Just use keyframes at the critical points and control with the position and scale properties. If you don't know how to do that, hollar and we will find some more help or tutorials.

Thanks Bobby,

I will have a go on a trial piece of dv and hollar if i get in a fix! [lol]

sounds like what i want is achievable anyway, which is great news :)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 pm

If you are wanting to edit between the tracks with cross dissolves this tutorial explains the multi track editing: The Learning Series, Multi track transitions part 2. Scroll down the page:

http://www.muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=46
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 pm

That's the kind of stuff a lot of us do all the time Ric, and the tutorial that Cheryl points out explains it all. If you have questions you know where to turn :)

I think the idea of having a duplicate on track 2 will be of benefit in this particular case. It will be easier to just zoom in on the whole second track and then transition between track 1 and 2 when you want a zoomed in shot. Should work out very well but you will need be fairly good at keyframing, we have plenty of tutorials and articles for that as well :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:That's the kind of stuff a lot of us do all the time Ric, and the tutorial that Cheryl points out explains it all. If you have questions you know where to turn :)

I think the idea of having a duplicate on track 2 will be of benefit in this particular case. It will be easier to just zoom in on the whole second track and then transition between track 1 and 2 when you want a zoomed in shot. Should work out very well but you will need be fairly good at keyframing, we have plenty of tutorials and articles for that as well :)

Thanks Chuck and Cheryl,

I could not open that tutorial btw :???:

Why don't i just select the frames i want to zoom in on, crop out what i don't want, select 'zoom' to fill the frame, and proceed accordingly? That way i am not actually breaking up the time-line at all, just enlarging sections of it every now and then. This will actually help with the dissolves because the cropped sections will mark exactly where i wanted the dissolves to be?

That still means i can keep video line 2 up the top as back-up just in case! :)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm

That will work too Ric.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:That will work too Ric.

Thanks Chuck,

i split the line into half-a-dozen segments and experimented: one thing i noticed that the smaller you zoom a detail the greater the pixelation on zooming it, but i don't think there's any way round this - adding a sharp filter [@ 100] may have just slightly improved it?

one serious no-no was a segment i messed up in and got it back to a comfortable crop, then noticed to my dismay that the crop started undoing itself half way into the segment, like if i cropped left 35, it starts going 34-33-32-31, etc all the way back down again. can't stop this, i must have hit the wrong button somewhere? can i freeze the crop at set parameters please?

all the other segments have remained where i set-zoomed them ok

cleared the second (duplicate) video line in the end cos it was getting confusing.

thanks again

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:48 am

kr236rk wrote:... then noticed to my dismay that the crop started undoing itself half way into the segment, like if i cropped left 35, it starts going 34-33-32-31, etc all the way back down again

This sounds like it might be a 'rogue' or 'orphan' keyframe on the timeline. In the effects control panel click on the direction toggles for the keyframe. The CTI will jump to the next keyframe along each time you click. You may find a keyframe that has been left behind from previous edits. If there is one then, like as not, that will be the cause of the problem.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kr236rk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:18 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:
kr236rk wrote:... then noticed to my dismay that the crop started undoing itself half way into the segment, like if i cropped left 35, it starts going 34-33-32-31, etc all the way back down again

This sounds like it might be a 'rogue' or 'orphan' keyframe on the timeline. In the effects control panel click on the direction toggles for the keyframe. The CTI will jump to the next keyframe along each time you click. You may find a keyframe that has been left behind from previous edits. If there is one then, like as not, that will be the cause of the problem.

Thanks John - will update: it was the first segment i cropped and the crop didn't appear to be working, so i started messing around and have probably confused the software. All the other segments are working excellently. I suppose I could also 'clear' the rogue segment of its crop filter and start from scratch?

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 am

You might want to start giving the two track approach a try, it will be much easier in the long run I think. All you have to do is keyframe the Opacity between the clips, add a cut and a transition. But in the long run I guess it might not be that much different, just seems more natural because that's how I would do it.

The pixelation can't be helped, you can only zoom so close before it causes problems unless the video is very high definition. And even then you would see pixelation at some point

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks Chuck,

Will update - apart from that one segment this experiment has gone very well :)

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:37 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:...sounds like it might be a 'rogue' or 'orphan' keyframe on the timeline. In the effects control panel click on the direction toggles for the keyframe. The CTI will jump to the next keyframe along each time you click. You may find a keyframe that has been left behind from previous edits. If there is one then, like as not, that will be the cause of the problem.

Thanks John, you were right! Can't remember what i did but when i clicked the arrows the cursor bounced about 3 times within the offending frame, and several of those bounces corresponded with the eccentric crop parameters. Eventually i cleared the whole filter and re-set it. This time it stuck :) So that's great, this part of the project is sorted.

Now i guess i ought to load a rough piece of audio-video to PE3 and experiment with unlinking the audio (or copying it?) and adding sounds to it in a multitrack software, so that i can neatly plonk it back on the timeline, still in synch with the video?

thanks again

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:15 am

Glad that solved the problem for you, Ric. :)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kr236rk » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:28 pm

many thanks - am going to return to the dual video edit at some stage due to the limitations imposed by cropping. Maybe i need two cams running, one wide, one zoomed, then parallel the video time lines and cut back and forth between them for better detail shots?

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Prior Versions