They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Computer Hang Up

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Computer Hang Up

Postby dalelpaq » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 am

I'm using PE4 on a Dell XPS 720 with a GeForce 8800 GT video card and plenty of hard disk space. So, I don't know if my question relates to PE4 or to the PC itself! When I'm working in PE4, especially with large files (HDV stuff), the PC often hangs up when I move out of various menus and back to basic editing. Here's a specific example. I work in the titler just fine. But when I go back to edit, I lose control over the cursor for sometimes 15 - 20 seconds. I simply can't move it. Then, the cursor begins to jump around the screen 4-5 times over 2 - 3 seconds and then all at once, I have full control over it again! Am I missing something in preferences or some other aspect of Windows XP setup?

In a related matter, when playing back edits, the sound often stops and I have to pause it and then restart play. Is this the PC or the program? Thanks, Dale
dalelpaq
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Computer Hang Up

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 am

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

(You can find this all out by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties.)

Also, have you manually gone to Windows Update, clicked the Custom button and added even the non-critical updates?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:48 am

Hard to tell at a distance, but it sounds like you are losing the focus. This means that another program is coming along and in effect seizing your CPU, keyboard, and mouse. It could be one of the programs you have automatically starting in your PC, or perhaps spyware.

I would go through your MSCONFIG and eliminate any startup items you don't need, and make sure your anti-virus / anti-spyware is good and up to date.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby dalelpaq » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:05 am

You may be on to something. I'm running at 2.4 GHz but the system is telling me I only have 3 GB of RAM. I could have sworn that I ordered 4 GB when I bought it. Can't remember. I'll open her up and see for myself and if it's 3, I'll buy some more and upgrade to 4. All my anti-virus/spyware software is continuously updated (MacAfee) and Windows seems to update itself every few days. I'm thinking I'm OK there. I've thought about all the background programs running and am hesitant to shut many more of them off - cause I don't really know what I'm doing! That said, guess I can get the thing up and running and then go in and shut them down to see if there's any affect on PE4. Thanks, Dale
dalelpaq
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 am

A 32-bit OS will only show 3.x GB of RAM (with x usually 2) even if you physically have 4 installed. If you go into the BIOS setup after you boot the PC it will show you the actual amount. Adding more will make no difference if at 4 now.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:17 am

To stop all unnecessary background processes safely, when video editing, use Enditall. A Google search will bring up download sites. Here's one I selected quite at random:-

http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm

And here's an article from PC Mag. I used Enditall when my system was XP based. I knew that it had been superceded by TaskPower but I found Enditall easier to use.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2068,00.asp
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Prior Versions