They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Running PE2 on Windows 7

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Running PE2 on Windows 7

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 pm

My new rig is listed in my profile below. It isn't the latest generation but it's all my budget will allow. Compared to my old 3 GHz HT rig it seems to fly like the wind! The HDDs seem especially fast.

I downloaded and am evaluating both PE8 and Magix MEP 15+ and I don't really care for either of them. Perhaps I'm getting old and find it difficult to change - but I find my trusty old PE2 to be familiar and very useful for getting work done rather than futzing around, trying to figure out where everything is located NOW. I installed PE2, created a 120 minute timeline, threw on a menu theme with auto-generated markers and burned a double layer DVD. Oh, alright - the first time I tried it reported a memory allocation error. So, I restarted PE2 and the disk burned fine. Memory utilization was rather high - 1.8 GB I think - and in Task Manager I had the pleasure of watching all four cores chew on the digits. The DVD played flawlessly.

Lately, I have been shopping for a Blu ray burner - and I'll have to move on from PE2. But everything seems to be working OK on PE2 so far.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Running PE2 on Windows 7

Postby hpharley90 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Ken thanks for the update. I am still a fan of PE2 and am glad to here that it will work with Windows 7.

The thousand dollars spent on all the editing software that work with XP will be the deciding factor on the upgrade for me.
They have to all work or I just stay with XP.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Sure, Richard. The only thing I did was set PE2 to run in Compatibility Mode - and set that for WinXP SP3. I haven't thoroughly wrung out PE2 yet in this new rig but I figured that testing it with a worse case project should be a good indicator of what might follow.

As I indicated, the memory utilization was pretty high, so I decided to run just PE2 during the test project and I left the rig alone. Seems like it took about two and half hours to render and burn, IIRC. I don't think my usual half-hour and hour-long projects will tax the rig that much and I'll be able to do other stuff during a DVD burn.

I still look forward to the day when we will truly have 64 bit computing and rather unlimited memory space. Some of the folks here are tasting that already but I'm too conservative to go 64 bit yet. Heck, I can't even get a complete driver for my year-old HP J6450 AIO printer!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Ken,

I see that you are running Home Premium and it won't run it but for others that have Pro or Ultimate or are thinking about upgrading they can run XP Mode. When I was researching Win 7 64 bit I found this program. It was also mentioned here in other posts.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Yes, thanks, I was aware of that. The higher priced versions run a virtual WinXP OS within Win7. I was able to score a couple of Home Premium OEM copies for $105 each through Newegg. Also the only problems with Win7 seem to be with drivers and the virtual OS feature wouldn't eliminate that.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Retired » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 am

I'm also and old fan of PE2 with Win XP Pro SP3. I am looking to replace my XP machine with a Win 7 Pro machine, and would like to confirm if possible the successful use of PE2 with Win 7.

The above discussion intermixes 2 distinct and unique proposals to run PE2 on Win 7. Specifically:
a) the initial comments refer to PE2 being run on Win 7 (Home) in the 'Compatibility' mode; while
b) a later comment refers to PE2 on a Win 7 (Pro) in the 'XP Mode' --which is totally different than the compatibility mode.

For clarification, Compatibility mode allows an application (PE2) to run under Win 7, but limits Win 7 to only compatible Win XP operations; the XP Mode is actually a full version of XP installed and running instead of the native Win 7 (this capability is available only in win 7 Pro and higher --but it brings alot of baggage along, such as having to do Win XP updates along with the Win 7 updates and causing restore points to be erased when switching between 7 & XP).

Question 1 - Does PE2 work properly/satisfactorily in the 'Compatibility' mode ?

As an aside I have been using PE2 with the Canopus ADVC 100 converter for many years with flawless conversion and capture of many VHS & Hi8 analog tapes. I have also used PE2 with D8 tapes captured via both my Sony TRV-480 camcorder and my Sony GV-D200 digital VCR. Since tape is obviously passe, I am wondering what are the pros and cons of the various camcorder recording media currently being used.

Question 2 - What is the best recording media when considering the purchase of a new camcorder ?

Question 3 - Can PE2 and PE9 be installed concurrently on the same Win 7 machine ?
Retired
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm

"What is the best recording media when considering the purchase of a new camcorder ?"

This would be a good question for a whole separate discussion, Retired. I recommend you start a new thread in our Camcorders forum for this. You're liable to start a very lively discussion!

But when you do start the thread, be sure to mention how much you'd like to spend on a camcorder, if you'd like to produce DVDs or hi-def BluRays and how powerful your computer is. Like most technology questions, there is no one-size-fits all answer. It all depends on your needs, your goals and your budget.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Retired wrote:Question 3 - Can PE2 and PE9 be installed concurrently on the same Win 7 machine ?

On Windows XP this is not a problem, wouldn't think it would be a problem on Windows 7 either.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 am

Chuck Engels wrote:On Windows XP this is not a problem, wouldn't think it would be a problem on Windows 7 either.

....as they are installed into separate and therefore different directories. Welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Retired » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:21 am

Thank you all for your comments; John, yours was the confirmation I was anticipating.
Retired
New User
New User

Postby Retired » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Well, its been a few months (due to family problems) but I finally got around to getting a win 7 machine a couple of months ago. For the past week or so I've been trying to get PE2 running on Win 7 with little success. I've tried it in compatibility mode for Win XP (both SP2 & SP3) with no success --have not yet tried it in the virtual Win XP mode.

The problem I've encountered is that it appears to launch, and ask if it is a new project/capture or old project. Regardless of what I respond, the program becomes unresponsive (eg 'Not Responding' per Sysinternals Process Explorer) CPU(s) activity is only about 15% but memory usage goes way up to maximum within a few seconds --maximum in this case is 12 GB).

System specs: Dell XPS 8300; Win 7 64bit Pro SP1, Core i7, HDD 1.5 TB (of which ~520 GB is partitioned for video editing as E: drive), 12 GB ram, USB-3 & Firewire 400/800 for capture

Any Ideas?
Retired
New User
New User

Return to Prior Versions