They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HV20 & PE4 Capturing video

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

HV20 & PE4 Capturing video

Postby smetlogik » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:12 am

I've been using my HV20 and PE4 for some time now with no problems. HV20 just came back from repair shop, tried to capture video and having problems. I usually record in HDV, then let PE4 downconvert (?) to DV when capturing video in PE4. For some reason PE4 thinks the HV20 is offline when hooked up. When I changed the Capture Settings to HDV, it showed as online and allowed me to capture the video. It's alwaus choppy which is why I never use the HDV setting (should get HDVSplit but haven't). Since I can capture the video by changing the setting, I assume firewire is cool.

If I recorded in HDV on HV20, is there a specific setting on the HV20 or PE4 to allow for video capture? It was working fine before.

Also, sounds like it's better to record in DV if I'm going to capture in DV for quality purposes? Only reason I do HDV recording is to possibly burn HD DVD at later date.

TIA

-rob
smetlogik
New User
New User

Re: HV20 & PE4 Capturing video

Postby Paul LS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:43 am

Welcome to Muvipix... :meet:

Not too sue what you mean by
I usually record in HDV, then let PE4 downconvert (?) to DV when capturing video in PE4

If you have recorded in HDV, you capture in HDV and then after capture you can edit and export from PE4 as standard definition. PE4 will not convert to DV-AVI on the fly while capturing. You can however downconvert in the camcorder and capture as DV-AVI... is this what you mean? If so, have you set your camcorder up correctly to do this?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: HV20 & PE4 Capturing video

Postby Bobby » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:48 am

Welcome Rob.

You can set the HVxx product line to output high definition or standard definition. I don't have mine around right now but I can give you further details on the settings if you need it.

If you output HD, programs expecting a standard SD connection will not see the camera - only programs that support HD such as HDVSplit will. If you setup the camera to output SD, then the programs expecting HD will not see it! You have to make the correct selection "pair".

I use HDVSplit with no problems, and it's free.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions