They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Default transition length stays at 1 frame.

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Default transition length stays at 1 frame.

Postby Peru » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 am

Windows XP MCE SP3

All of a sudden, while working on a project, the default video transistion length changed itself to 1 frame from 1 second. When I look in edit > preferences > general > video transition default duraion it says "30 frames".

I tried saving as a different project name, but that didn't change anything.
I also deleted the media cache, encoded files, and previews folders. No change.

I can work around this by changing the duration of the transition, but it is annoying to have to do it this way.

Any suggestions? :-k
Peru

Re: Default transition length stays at 1 frame.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:40 am

Zoom into the timeline at the point of the transition (using the + key) and see if there is anything strange going on there -- a stray frame hiding between your two clips, stuff like that. That's the main cause of these kinds of things.

Try the same transition at another point on your timeline as a test. Is it 1 frame there too?

Also, double-click on your transition to open the Transition Properties. What happens if you manually set it to 1 second? Or if you drag it longer?

Finally, what type of camcorder did these clips come from? It could be related to the video's codec also.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

Steve,

I would wager that this is the issue. There is a little behavior in PrE, where if you have Snap on, and butt one clip up to one already in the Timeline a bit too aggressively, a stray Frame, or two, will be "lopped off," and will go to the end of the second Clip - unseen. Next Clip down butts up to the stray and without zooming in, they are almost impossible to see.

I observed this and tested it out, finding that one should butt the Clips up "gently," so that this does not happen.

These "strays" can also end up being "orphans" out at the end of the Timeline, often some minutes out and again unseen, until one finds that a 00;05;00;00 Project is running 00;06;00;00, and they can't understand why.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:13 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Zoom into the timeline at the point of the transition (using the + key) and see if there is anything strange going on there -- a stray frame hiding between your two clips, stuff like that. That's the main cause of these kinds of things.

Try the same transition at another point on your timeline as a test. Is it 1 frame there too?
Yes, and all transitions, too.Also, double-click on your transition to open the Transition Properties. What happens if you manually set it to 1 second? Or if you drag it longer?
It works ok that way.Finally, what type of camcorder did these clips come from? It could be related to the video's codec also.The same Canon mini DV camcorder which I have successfully used with may projects.
Peru

Postby Peru » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 am

Bill Hunt wrote:Steve,

I would wager that this is the issue. There is a little behavior in PrE, where if you have Snap on, and butt one clip up to one already in the Timeline a bit too aggressively, a stray Frame, or two, will be "lopped off," and will go to the end of the second Clip - unseen. Next Clip down butts up to the stray and without zooming in, they are almost impossible to see.
I observed this and tested it out, finding that one should butt the Clips up "gently," so that this does not happen.

These "strays" can also end up being "orphans" out at the end of the Timeline, often some minutes out and again unseen, until one finds that a 00;05;00;00 Project is running 00;06;00;00, and they can't understand why.

Good luck,

Hunt

I have been getting some odd orphans at the end of the project. This is probably the case.

Although there were no stray clips at the spots where I wanted to put the troubled transitions (I zoomed in to check), after removing the orphans at the end of the project all was working ok again. Strange that the orphans at a different spot on the timeline should affect it like that.

Thanks for the help. :TU:
Peru

Return to Prior Versions