They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

unzipping files and mov files

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

unzipping files and mov files

Postby videovillageidiot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:09 pm

started this post and hit backspace or something and it went away so here goes again...tried to unzip some files and i keep getting a message that says to insert the last disk of the multi-volume disk set (something like that). sometimes it says the folder is empty so i try to get it again and sometimes it works. but it seems to always first tell me i did something wrong. seriously...my self-esteem cannot handle this.

also i download and unzipped some mov backgrounds. can't use them.. pe won't find them in the list of supported files. when i look at all files and try to import one it says the file format is not supported and necessary components may not be installed. the help says it does accept mov files. what's up?

please help. thanks. :cry:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: unzipping files and mov files

Postby Ron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:52 am

OK, first you say you get errors when you unzip, then when "I download and unzipped some mov files...."? So it works sometimes?

Is the error(s) only occurring on specific files?

As far as PE being able to import .MOV files, be sure to install/upgrade the latest Quicktime Player.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul LS » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 am

Apart from upgrading Quicktime... what version of PE do you have, if I recall there was one of the earlier versions of PE that had problems importing the MOV backgrounds... Chuck had problems I think.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:56 am

Be sure to update Quicktime and then if you get a 'No Codec Or Unsupported Format' error then just check the project media panel. I get the same error if I use the organizer but the clips are still available in the media panel. I use Windows Explorer and just drag what I want right into the Project media panel.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm

i don't think i have quicktime on my machine 'cuz if i try to view mov files it tells me something (not sure what 'cuz i'm not at that computer).

besides, a while back, coolstuffiniowa posted a message about problems in pe4 after installing quicktime.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5590#p49156 (i hope this is the link to that original post)

i almost never install new software on my precious machine. so this problem begs the question...are most of the background files in mov format? yikes!!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:38 pm

FYI, Premiere Elements lists Quicktime as a system requirement. You don't need to install the iTunes/Quicktime bundle, Quicktime is available separately. But, it is a good idea to install the current Quicktime release. There was a problem with one of the past releases of Quicktime, but that has long ago been corrected.
Bob

Postby Ron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:20 pm

videovillageidiot wrote:so this problem begs the question...are most of the background files in mov format? yikes!!!!!

Yes, most of the latest ones are.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Bob wrote:FYI, Premiere Elements lists Quicktime as a system requirement. You don't need to install the iTunes/Quicktime bundle, Quicktime is available separately. But, it is a good idea to install the current Quicktime release. There was a problem with one of the past releases of Quicktime, but that has long ago been corrected.

wow i've been lucky all these months not running into an issue without quicktime on my machine. :-D ok, here's a dumb question...how would i know if i actually DO have it? where would i look - is it in the list of programs on my start button (i have v-64 bit)?

and coolstuffiniowa's issue was just posted in june - is quicktime ok since then? and, perhaps, that was a non-related issue, though i don't know how it was resolved as the thread never indicated.

if i need quicktime, where do i get it, and what do i do with it?

as to the insert next disk in multi-volume disk set issue...sometimes when i select a file to download, it downloads to completion (or at least it appears to do so) but then the size is only a few hundred KB and, sure enough, attempts to extract result in the insert disk message. if i go back to the products page and download again, it usually downloads the full thing and it works...but not always that easily if i remember correctly...i'm not at a point where i can attempt to recreate the scenario.

thanks!!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:24 pm

how would i know if i actually DO have it? where would i look - is it in the list of programs on my start button

Yes, it would be in the list of programs on your start buttons. For Vista, click on start, all programs, and look for the folder icon named Quicktime. If you find it click on that to expand the folder and to see if the Quicktime Player is listed. If it is, you've got it.

if i need quicktime, where do i get it, and what do i do with it?

You get it from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/. Download the free Quicktime Player and install it. You don't need to do anything else. I would recommend that you create a system restore point before installing the software. That way, should you have a problem, you can do a restore and be back to where you were before the install. I don't expect that you will have a problem though.

Your other problem sounds like the downloaded file was corrupted in transit during downloading. That happens. You'll need to download it again.
Bob

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Bob wrote:You get it from here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/. Download the free Quicktime Player and install it. You don't need to do anything else. I would recommend that you create a system restore point before installing the software. That way, should you have a problem, you can do a restore and be back to where you were before the install. I don't expect that you will have a problem though.

Your other problem sounds like the downloaded file was corrupted in transit during downloading. That happens. You'll need to download it again.

sorry to ask this...but...how do i create a restore point? thanks.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:21 pm

In Vista, restore points are under the System Protection tab of System Properties. There are a number of ways to get to that tab. One way is to click on Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance, then Backup and Restore Center, then (on the left side under "tasks") click on Create a Restore Point or Change Settings. You'll get a UACC popup asking for permission to continue. Click on Continue and you will get the System Properties dialog with the System Protection Tab selected. Wait until the Available Disks table displays the disks in your system (it could take a minute or two). The system drive will probably have a check mark next to it. If it doesn't, check the box. Finally, Click on the "Create..." button to manually create a System Restore Point. While you are still in the Protection tab, notice that there is a button above the Available Disks table labeled "System Restore...". That's the button that you would click on to restore the system to a previous restore point.
Bob

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:55 pm

thanks for all your help!! i checked my restore info and there's a restore point created last night (possibly at the time of a windows update that installed last nite?). i'm guessing that's sufficient and i don't need one created today?

also, i checked out the quicktime free players - 1 includes i-tunes. which do you suggest? can you tell i know nothing of these topics?

thanks again!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes, Windows Update normally creates a system restore point immediately before installing the update. That's sufficient, but if you restore to it, you will need to do the update again.

As for Quicktime, all you need for Premiere Elements purposes is the free player. Unless you need really need iTunes for some reason, get the one without it.
Bob

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:22 pm

hopefully this is my last question on this topic...i'm about to install quicktime. do you recommend allowing the automatic update of quicktime "and other apple software"? or is it safer to get updates when i think i need them (not that i would know 8-[ )

thanks again!! looking forward to using those mov backgrounds!!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Whether you go automatic or manual is kind of up to you. I don't know that it's any safer either way. It's generally recommended that you keep current with Quicktime. If you decide to go manual, be sure to check for updates once in a while. If you are the sort that never remembers to check, automatic checking may be better in the long run.
Bob

Next

Return to Prior Versions