They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Performance - I Don't Understand

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Performance - I Don't Understand

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:34 pm

I am working on a fairly big project, broken down in to chapters. I am doing each chapter as a separate .prel and exporting to AVI. The umbrella .prel will take all of the .avi's and create the final version.

I am working on an introduction, and have about 15 stills (each in its own track) that pop in and move around at various times.

I just wanted to look at the effect on my TV and so I did a DVD write just for this intro direct to DVD. The process took about twenty minutes. Many of the photos are far higher resolution than needed, but I wanted the extra res to be able to zoom in, etc.

Well, I ended up finally exporting it to .avi and the time to export it was only a couple of minutes. I brought it into the umbrella project (alone, thus far). But when I went to create a DVD image, it took only a couple of minutes!

What am I missing here? I understand that it takes some time to convert from internal format to MPEG2 for the DVD, and less time to export to .avi as that is the native format. BUT, why did it run so quick when I wrote the DVD image from the umbrealla project? Where is the lost performance delay.

To sum up: internal to MPEG2 DVD - twenty minutes. Internal to .avi, about 3 minutes. Project with that .avi to DVD MPEG2 about four minutes. Doesn't add up to twenty.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Yes, Robert made the same comment the other day, cant find the post now. He did the same as you and gave some figures on time savings. He didn't know why either... :???:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:55 pm

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Well, it is nice to know that somebody who knows what they are doing (like Robert) is seeing it also. But that still doesn't explain WHY.

Thanks, Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:59 pm

I believe it was Rusty (from the other thread) that says he does this for almost all his projects. Is there any reason NOT to do this for specific types of projects? (unless one enjoys sitting watching paint dry :-) It seems like a no-brainer (even if we don't know exactly why it works).
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:25 am

Are there any programmers here? Sounds like a lack of software optimization to me.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:47 am

Ken, I used to be a programmer, but hung up my spurs a few years ago.

But I don't think so. I think there is some unnecessary step going on having to do with conversion of formats.

For example, if you have to sample or resample a lot of stills, that could take a lot of time. Once it is an avi, no further sampling is necessary. Perhaps the direct-do-DVD path causes the program to do some extended photo sampling which really isn't necessary.

That is the kind of thing that caused the track 1 performance problems in V3 originally. They were spending a lot of time creating internal thumbnails for potential use in the sceneline when it wasn't necessary.

Gosh, I wish I had someone to talk to over there in Adobe land...

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Prior Versions