They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Error on .avi with 0 length

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Error on .avi with 0 length

Postby PAPatFan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Hoping someone can help me out. New member having some trouble.

I recently took video with my Sony DV cam that I have succesfully captured and imported the media into PE4. This was the first time, however, I tried a new function of the camera taking time-lapse video over a period of time. The resulting capture was about 100 .avi's most of which had a length of 1 second but a fair amount having 0 seconds. PE4 gives me an error every time I try to work woth the "video" that is 0 seconds.

My question is this: Can I change the properties of the affected files in PE4 to given it "length" either by changing the frame rate or some other property? What will be the best/fastest way of fixing these files so I may use them in PE4?

Thanks in advance for the help.
PAPatFan
New User
New User

Re: Error on .avi with 0 length

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi, PAP. Welcome to Muvipix.

Without knowing more about your camera and how it works, it's hard to say what's going on with your video.

Are you sure it's saving your video as one-second AVIs? I'd think, for time-lapse, it would be saving individual frames as JPEGs. Hmm.

Regardless, try importing your clips into a Windows MovieMaker project instead of Premiere Elements. At the very least, you'll be able to see what the files are actually. You may also be able to combine the clips into a large file and export it from MovieMaker as a DV-AVI, which you'll be able to edit further in Premiere Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby PAPatFan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Steve, I knew I could count on you to try this problem on. Although, I have never posted, your answers to other questions have been right on the money.

I have a Sony DCR-H96 DV Camcorder. The function is a menu setting on the standard camera-rcord mode. It's called SMTH INT. REC and has created a bunch of video files - see the properties file attached.

In regards to your note about the format I think it does do JPEGS in some other mode. I have never used Movie Maker (I'm a PE guy) but will give it a shot and let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.
PAPatFan (Tried to write Pennsylvania Patriots Fan but looking at it now it does read PAP!) :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PAPatFan
New User
New User

Postby PAPatFan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Steve, it looks like Windows Movie Maker with a DVI export did the trick. I won't be using this feature anymore though as the camera also has a standard time-lapse function producing JPEG's that will be a LOT easier to use.

Thanks for the help.
PAPatFan
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Glad I could help, Pat Fan!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions