They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Life Video Question: Avg. time/length of Clip (pix/vid)

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Life Video Question: Avg. time/length of Clip (pix/vid)

Postby John63 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:26 am

I'm creating a 'Life Video' project for my son's graduation using...

- VHS, Hi-8, Digital video
- Still photos videotaped (digital)
- Digital photos (JPEG)

What is the preferred length of time for a Clip in such a project?
(Photo & Video) :???:

Obviously, I don't want to make this a 2hr video but I also want to have the images on the screen long enough to see & appreciate them.

Thanks!

John
sr71@comcast.net
John63
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:20 pm

John, This sounds like a really fun project and I am sure it will be well received. Length of time is really subjective and varies based on the setting and what you are trying to present. To me it is like having a conversation, or telling a story with video and pictures. I would gauge my time based on who I plan on showing this to and the setting.

I get hung up on this a lot myself. To remedy this, I sometimes end up creating 2 versions of the same thing. My short and to the point version so I can tell my story in a small amount of time, and the longer one I call my “Directors Cut” that goes a bit more in depth to tell my story. That way I can present my finished opus to the appropriate audience.

Another hint will be how the finished material is presented. Plan on having a good mix of video audio and stills and it will be a winner. When your heart is in the right place things tend to turn out well. Best wishes

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Great minds think a like Sidd... I do the same... two versions depending on the audience. :cool:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:48 pm

I agree, and if I am not mistaken I think we are both using Sony HC1's too. Yikes :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Paul LS » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:48 am

yep I have the HC1... :shock:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:15 pm

Great minds thinking alike and in hi-def. Life is good :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Spot » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:49 pm

Hey John,
I just did a similar project for my sister's birthday that was screened at a large party for about 80 people. I finally decided (after much changing of minds!) that 20mins was about all other (non-family) people would stand watching.
Worked out perfectly and all loved it. It had a good mix of stills (pan & zoom with MS photostory) DV and old 8mm cine film.
The one thing that turns a project like this into an emotional journey is the music. If it matches the feel on the screen the difference is amazing!

Like Sidd I also did a "Directors Cut" with much more content and gave that to her along with the original as a present.

Best of luck with your project
cheers
JB
Spot

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:01 pm

I would like to add a comment to the already wonderful list of suggestions here.

I did my Wife's grandfather's 100th birthday video two years ago. The average age in the audience was probably 70. Most of the video was still images and the majority had a duration of 5 seconds, not long enough for a group that age. So my comment is, if the crowd average is under 60 you can go with the short duration of 5 - 6 seconds, if they are over 60 you might want to consider a little longer duration.

The total video was 55 minutes but included the history of the world from 1905 to 2005 in 15 minutes. It was also her grandparents 74th anniversary so there was a overwhelming amount to cover. I think 20 - 30 minutes is a very good time limit in most cases.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions