They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

File save issue with PE3 & external hard drive

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

File save issue with PE3 & external hard drive

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:27 pm

I just purchased a new Maxtor 1TB external drive connected by USB 2.0 to download all my DV-AVI footage from my camcorder. I am using PE3. I create the folder to download all the video and I name the project file (in this case the prel file is called Walt) Video captures via fire wire and all is good.

Then when I go to save the file PE3 tells me there is an error with the prel file and PE3 tells me I need to rename the file to save it. I do this and all is well. When I look in the file I see that PE3 created a separate prel filed called: Walt, then a sine wave character, then the number 2 with the prel file extension. This action happens randomly to some projects and not to others.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am thinking that there must be something in the external hard drive that PE3 does not like when it goes to save the file.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: File save issue with PE3 & external hard drive

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Sidd,

I have not. I do a fair amount of editing to/from externals, however, I am almost always using PrPro (do have PE, but ver. 4), and Maxtor 2TB FW-800's.

Going back some years, I did have issues trying to use some Maxtor 250GB USB externals, besides their being too slow to really edit to/from for me. These issues were with MAXLDR.dll (or similar). Maxtor One Touch externals will install some drivers, that are really only useful with their One Touch backup button and program. I removed all Maxtor drivers and things got more stable. Even with my newer FW-800 externals, Maxtor wants to install several drivers and a utility, or two, plus would really like for me to install the BU software, which I do not use. Love the drives, but do tire of them wanting to install "stuff." You might want to look around your system for anything with "max" in the name in startup, or boot.ini. Most recent OS's do not need any drivers to use an external properly.

Also, that "~" character is often used with backup file names. Not sure if that is the case here.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks for the help Bill.

I had a feeling that the Maxtor drive installed something. I will look to see what files come up. Normally I never install anything of Maxtor’s CD that comes with the drive. I just plug and play. And yes the prel file used the ~ in the naming of the file. I guess I just did not see it on my keyboard. Thanks again.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 pm

Sidd, I have noticed lately that a lot of the external drives are coming with the software pre-installed now.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 am

Minor point of information. That '~' character is called a tilde.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Prior Versions