They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Track Matte - My life in the 60's.....

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Track Matte - My life in the 60's.....

Postby slushparlor1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:42 am

Hi everyone:

I'm hoping you can give me some ideas. The "My Life in the 60's video" was great ! Nice job Cheryl. I am not sure if you just used PE but I'd like to try to get that effect with a video I'm working on now. I attached a small clip (first attempt). I wouldn't mind a few opinions on how I can make it better or ideas.....

I keyframed the photo of me eating shrimp (yummy, on my cruise) and keyframed to the pictures on the wall. I freeze framed the photos on the wall and brought the photo into Photoshop where I cut out the rectangle of one of the photos. I brought that photo back into my PE project and then added a photo on track 2 (so that it would show through the photo frame). It looks a bit clunky to me. You can see the photo before the frame. Does anyone work with stuff like this? I put a little sample here. Anyone that has done some work like this if you would like to share thoughts it would be great.

http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10753/track.wmv

Theresa

By the way Chuck....... "I wish I may, I wish I might have tutorial page turn three as I'm trying to accomplish that effect with all my might (but still not coming out the way I want). I know your busy..... Just thought I'd remind you :lol:
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Track Matte - My life in the 60's.....

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:09 am

The moves are pretty good, Theresa. They just seem to move a bit "clunky", as you said.

For one thing, there seems to be a start and stop, as it zooms way back from you and then moves to the way. I'd recommend turning that into one smooth movement.

There also is a problem with the resolution -- which I'm sure you're already aware. Make sure the photos you're panning and zooming around are around 1000x750 pixels in size and that you have the Scale to Frame Size preference turned off (under Preferences under the Edit menu). For photos that are already in your project when you change that setting, right-click on them on your timeline and manually uncheck the Scale to Frame Size option.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:41 am

One issue that I have found (and it may not apply here) is that if one keyframes a clip (suspect it is the same with a still) and then one shortens the clip duration, the keyframe(s) still seem to exist outside the boundaries of the shortened clip (does that make sense?).

I experienced a lot of strange zooming/panning behaviour, especially jerkiness until I realised the existence of rogue keyframe(s) outside the clip.

Just thought it worth a mention.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:50 am

Yes, those rogue keyframes are pesky. I have had that trouble myself. You have to remember to "lock" your effect at the end of the visible portion of the clip by making sure you set the final settings and then place a keyframe there. If you don't it will attempt to transition between your last valid keyframe point and the one outside of the visible area, and your clip will end with the effect somewhere in the middle.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:59 am

Theresa, you are on the right track and a poet too! How can Chuck resist that? :)

The freeze frame idea is good. Do not cut out the pic in PSE. Because the res will be too small. Instead use the same pic, but overlay it on top of the wall pic. And no dissolve. The top pic should be placed at the keyframe that the shrimp picture stops its zoom in.

First keyframe the shrimp pic and change your keyframes from linear to auto bezier. If you click on the 'motion' word in the property panel you will see little handles and can adjust those to get curves. That will eliminate the clunkiness.

After you are happy with the motion, pop off the pic with fast zoom in. At this point an option would be to scale up the shrimp pic and put a slight motion blur to it.

It gets a little tricky because if you change any keyframes with the first photo that will change the position for the next photo. A is connected to B connected to C to etc.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 am

Those rogue keyframes can be a problem. A recent project had lots of keyframes, about every 3 frames. I trimmed the clip and forgot that I had keyframes in the trimmed part. When I was adding more keyframes at the new starting point every 3 frames they did not translate (interpolate...tween) and finally remembered to check my trimmed section. ](*,) Deleted those keyframes from the trimmed section all worked.

BTW, there were not track mattes used in Life 60's. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby slushparlor1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks everyone!

You are right about the keyframe. I did cut the clip and that is why they look so strange. I would not have thought of it.

Thanks for the detailed instructions Cheryl. This is a good video time of the year for me to try things out as I have finished the school videos and have more time to play around. I'm going to give that a try.

I can't believe you didn't use track matte. Your stuff is outstanding.

I want to thank you all for your help. I continue to learn so much here!

I figure I won't quit my day job to become a poet but thought Chuck could use a laugh :yh:

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:33 pm

slushparlor1 wrote:I figure I won't quit my day job to become a poet but thought Chuck could use a laugh :yh:
Theresa

Thanks for the chuckle Theresa :)

That shows how much I know, didn't even realize that Ron had added part 2 yet :oops:
Part three should be out in early July, just a couple weeks away :)
Hopefully that will be the last part, not sure if I can get the rest into one tutorial.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Chuck, just watched part 2 and the visual is very good. It is hard to explain a page turn with just words. The visual of the timeline says it all.

Theresa, the best way to learn is to experiment. Helps when you are not under pressure to get a project done. I have a continuous practice project going with experiments. Later, if I have a project that I want to use one of my experiments all I have to do is open the practice file to refresh my memory.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks Cheryl :)
I just got a new headset microphone for doing the tutorials, it's made by Sennheiser so it should be a good one.
We'll have to see if there is any improvement in the audio on the next one :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions