They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

video size in wmv file

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

video size in wmv file

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:17 pm

i was tinkering with some photos and videos displayed over a photo. i was trying to use corner pin (first time, so that may have been part of the problem) to make it line up with the sign in the photo. looked ok in premiere while i edited. when i created a wmv file one of the videos appeared smaller. it's the second "projected" video - while editing, it covers the nps arrowhead; in the wmv version, it is smaller.

it can probably be a number of things...i'll tell you what i know...the photo came from a ps elements object and measures 899 x 600 pixels. i used the default preset for frame size when this video was created. the "projected" video was resized to fit the sign. are there clues there?

[wmvvideo]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/12061/size_issue.wmv[/wmvvideo]

thanks for any help...still trying to figure this stuff out...could take awhile :???:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: video size in wmv file

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Not sure, but what I have encountered at times that effects position do not always translate accurately into a wmv. What has worked in the past for me is to save the project as a DV-AVI and then use that file to make a wmv. Someone may have a better answer for you. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Typically, this is a scaling issue. You'll get different results depending on the size the clips, whether they had scale to framesize enabled, the project size, and the exported size. Scale to framesize is the most likely culprit. If the clip is scaled to framesize and then scaled again with an effect, the size and position relationships will change if you export to a different framesize. If you follow Cheryl's advice and export the video at the project size and use that as a master to export to wmf or other formats, you'll should be fine.
Bob

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 pm

momoffduty wrote:Not sure, but what I have encountered at times that effects position do not always translate accurately into a wmv. What has worked in the past for me is to save the project as a DV-AVI and then use that file to make a wmv. Someone may have a better answer for you. :)

yippee skippee...take a look...
[wmvvideo]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/12061/sizeissue_from_avi.wmv[/wmvvideo]

thanks cheryl! this all puts lots of questions into my brain but i'm gonna' sleep on 'em for now. 'nite all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-$
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:12 am

Glad you got it working VideoVillage!

Bob wrote:Typically, this is a scaling issue. You'll get different results depending on the size the clips, whether they had scale to framesize enabled, the project size, and the exported size. Scale to framesize is the most likely culprit. If the clip is scaled to framesize and then scaled again with an effect, the size and position relationships will change if you export to a different framesize.

Follow up question Bob: My projects all have the scale to framesize unchecked for imports. Thought this was only for psds, jpgs,etc. and Not video. If the project is standard size and import standard video and export as a wmv it is scaling down on export. But if you change the scale or tilt or camera view of the video and then export to wmv the scaling down in export is more complex and is not say pixel per pixel sampling. Is this how it works? Trying to fully understand. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Thought this was only for psds, jpgs,etc. and Not video.

"Scale to Framesize" applies to all clips, video and stills. Place a high def background in a standard project (or vice-versa) and toggle the "scale to framesize" setting -- you'll see it in action. It resamples immediately and manual scaling afterwards scales from that resampled source, just like with stills.

You've got the basic idea on the output rescaling. It's a complex process and the effects get applied and encoded at the output specification. Premiere Elements generally does a great job. But, when you have output sizes with a different frame and/or pixel aspect ratio, sometimes things don't match up. I think it's especially prone to that when you have effects the depend on pixel numbers like the corner pin effect.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Got it now, Thanks!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Prior Versions