They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

effects question - which one did i use?

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

effects question - which one did i use?

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 am

ok it can't be as difficult as it seems...i have assigned effects to a photo. how do i figure out which ones i actually used?

before i do anything to the photo there are three effects that appear when i view properties...image control, motion and opacity
i added effects as follows...
first i used the clip effect to add a white border to make it look like a photo
second i had the image spin in from the left to the upper right

then when i look at properties it shows a clip effect and an additional motion effect. but it doesn't give the name of the one i used. if i want to use it again on another photo how do i know which one to use? granted, while i watch in the timeline i can guess which one i used, but is there a way to know without playing the movie? like if i want the same effect in another video, do i just have to guess? i think i've learned that i can add an effect to my favorites and it's available in other projects (is this correct?) but if i forget to add it at the time i select it how do i know later on which i've used?

i must be missing something completely here, but i've spent most of the day trying to learn a little about effects and i am lost, so any clarification would be helpful.

thanks!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: effects question - which one did i use?

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:42 am

The spin in effect will be applied by modifying the Motion effect... so it is not a seperate/specific effect. If you open the keyframe window you will see where keyframes have been appled to the Motion effect (Rotation, Position and Scale) to achieve the spin in. So you need to remember to add it to your favorites or save it as a seperate preset and re-name it... it will then be avaialble in other projects.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 am

I believe if you add a preset motion type effect, pan or zoom, it will add another 'Motion' property to the properties list.
Haven't had time to check this out for sure but I seem to remember at times there being multiple 'Motion' properties.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am

so if i have applied an effect and later want to use the same one there's no figuring out which it was? even windows movie maker allows you to view the effects applied (the actual name, as opposed to showing keyframe locations, which is way too cryptic for me). :( :( :( :(

and how do i get rid of an effect? the only one that appears when i have the photo selected is "clip". how do i get rid of a spin i no longer want?

please help! thanks
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:04 am

Let's not go off on any assumptions or things that might or might not happen.
What is it you are actually trying to accomplish right now?

If there are two motion properties you will only be able to delete one of them, the one that was added.
To check which one controls the effect you will need to open the motion property and check the keyframes.
If you don't know much about keyframes yet then you are probably getting to the point where you will need to learn :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:20 am

Once keyframes have been added to the default Motion effects you need to delete the keyframes to get rid of the spin. Easiest way is to go to the little stop watch icon to the right of Motion and select it. This will toggle off animation and delete the keyframes. Then click Reset at the bottom of the Effects window to reset the Motion to it's default values.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Let's not go off on any assumptions or things that might or might not happen.

sorry...but...ummm......i'm not sure what you mean... :-8 :-8 :-8 :-8

Chuck Engels wrote:What is it you are actually trying to accomplish right now?

right now i'm just trying to determine which effect was used on a particular photo on the timeline.

take for example...a photo which spins from the left of the screen to the upper right.

Chuck Engels wrote:If there are two motion properties you will only be able to delete one of them, the one that was added.
To check which one controls the effect you will need to open the motion property and check the keyframes.

when i view the motion properties i see keyframe locations and various attributes for 2 motions. i can determine which is the "default" motion property (the one that was there as soon as i placed the photo on the timeline) because its scale is 100% versus the 40% scale for the spin motion property (the motion property that appeared when i applied the spin effect to the photo). there is also a difference in the position value. knowing this i can delete the spin effect i guess.

but as to my initial question...once i've selected the photo and navigated to its motion properties and determined which is for the spin effect...how can i determine WHICH of the many many 40% pip effects was used on the photo?

Chuck Engels wrote:If you don't know much about keyframes yet they you are getting to the place where you will need to learn :)

...how does knowing about keyframes help me determine which effect i used? apparently i really am sooooooooooooooooo stupid. :( ](*,) :( ](*,) sorry if these are dumb questions. :oops:
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:55 pm

You will never know which PiP effect has been applied, or any of the other preset effects for that matter.
At least you can't tell by looking at the clip properties, all you will see is the motion keyframes that were added.
By knowing how keyframes work and which ones are applied you can make a pretty good guess as to which preset it is, but it will still only be a good guess.

If you want to keep track you will need to take notes, that's the only way.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions